Monday, October 15, 2012

Shopping with Purpose::Affordable Chocolate Alternative for Halloween


Last week I wrote a post titled, When a Church Halloween Event is Scary::The Truth about Chocolate. While it would be wonderful if we all replaced our chocolate purchases this year with fairly traded varieties, I know doing so is an expensive trade-off.  Personally, I'd love to be able to lay down a fat wad of money to support companies who are making delicious chocolate in a way that honors the people behind their products.  It would make my ever-lovin' day to be able to buy a giant pile of chocolate from companies who have emphatically said, "NO" to forced child labor in their supply chains.  Then reality slaps me in the face and reminds me that I have a bank account - and it looks a little different than the one in my imagination.  Reality.  I hate it.  Our plan this Halloween?  I'll buy some fair trade chocolate.  It's Halloween, by golly.  I plan to eat so much fair trade chocolate I hate myself and let the kids do the same.  When it comes to handing out candy to trick-or-treaters, I can't afford to pass out a neighborhood's worth of fair-trade chocolate.  Womp.  Womp.

The alternative?  Yummy Earth Organic Lollipops.  You can order a giant bag of these delicious suckers from Amazon for $30.  Each 5 pound bag contains about 325 suckers.  This means each lollipop costs around 10 cents each.  This is such a great, affordable alternative to non-fair trade chocolate.  Have I mentioned these suckers are delicious?  We love them.

Not only would these suckers make a great chocolate alternative this Halloween, I wanted to include them in this "31 Days of Shopping with Purpose" series because these candies are handy to have on hand year-round.  They make great treats, and these bad boys will make their way into our kids' stockings this Christmas.  (And into my stocking this Christmas.)




I love this post from Kristen (from last year).  Oh, how I love a smart-mouth.





2 comments:

Ash said...

I love your Shopping with Purpose series!!! And I CANT WAIT TO COME TO THE FAIR TRADE FAIR!! WOO! That's right. I'm coming. Mark and I just found out a couple nights ago we are moving back to Houston in about 3 weeks. It's insanity around here packing up everything so last minute but I'm pretty stoked that I should be able to drive down to CStat for one of the days you are having the Fair Trade shindig in downtown Bryan.

Heidi said...

Thank you for your posts on this subject! Is it okay if I reference your posts in a blog post of my own?