Monday, October 29, 2012

Duck Dynasty Halloween



(for the record, that's an unloaded BB gun)


We started Halloween early by attending a party this weekend.  We woke up the day of the big event and had no idea what we were going to be this year for Halloween.  Then - ta-dah!  The idea came to us.  We ran to Goodwill and called friends to borrow items.  A few hours later - Hello Duck Dynasty. I think it's impossible to see that much unkempt hair growing out of a person's face and not automatically think, "The Robertsons!" (okay, maybe second place would be, "Apocalypse Survivor!")

While getting ready for the party and gluing hair on my family's faces, there was so much wig hair on the floor in our house, I had to stop and do some Bradley Method breathing a few times just to cope.

Hayden loved his costume.  Loved it.  Ashton was excited until after I finished his hair/beard combo.  Then he was quiet and weird.  Mopey even.  It wasn't until we were in the car on the way to the party that he spilled the beans.  Blinking back tears he said, "I don't like my costume.  How am I going to eat at the party with all this hair on my face."  Poor guy.  We did what any supportive family would do -we all started laughing and making fun of him. If you know Ashton at all you know he has a really special relationship with food - especially the variety of food found at parties.  It's his favorite kind.  He was a wreck thinking he'd be around that many cupcakes and sticky foods and not be able to eat his fair share.  We love that boy.  Anson, who pulled off Uncle Si, wanted to divorce us as usual, but thankfully played along at the party - for about 30 minutes.  

Hudson was an African American redneck.  That's common, right?  A part of me laughed a little seeing him poke fun at a group of people (rednecks) who are oftentimes stereotyped as racist.  Obviously not all rednecks are racist (and I have no reason, at all, to think the Robertson family is). The moral of this story?  It was funny to see Hudson dressed up like a redneck, but it felt a bit weird - and I didn't know what to do with those feelings exactly. I still don't.  Once again, I was surprised that thoughts of race, racism, and stereotypes seem to be an ongoing conversation in my head and pop up in the weirdest, most unexpected moments.  Will I ever know how to be the right amount of sensitive to these very real issues as we love and raise our little boy? Some days it feels doubtful.

We drove up to the party honking. The boys were in the bed of the truck blowing on a duck call and whooping it up.  "Sharp Dressed Man" was blaring on the radio.  We were so redneck, I could not stop laughing.  

If you have never watched Duck Dynasty, here's the story line of this entertaining reality show:  A highly redneck family (the kind that eats frog legs and squirrel brains) runs a multi-million dollar business.  Rich rednecks.  Stop and think about that for a moment.  Let it soak in.  It's terrifying.  We grew up with rednecks, and I swore many times the only thing that kept some of them alive was their lack of funding for their crazy ideas.  This "reality" show is sweet, hilarious, and is a great illustration every week for our boys about the love of family and the importance of subject-verb agreement (thanks, Uncle Si!). 

Does anyone know why the boys call their mom, "Mrs. Kay?"  I'll admit - that part weirds me out more than the squirrel brains.

**EDIT**

A reader informed me that Willie and Korie have an adopted son, and their family looks a lot more like ours than I knew.  Isn't that beautiful?  I sure do love when a stereotype is blown right out of the water, don't you?  After reading an interview from Korie, I found some great information about their family.  Not only are these loud and proud rednecks an adoptive, trans-racial family, they also "adopted" a Taiwanese teenager years ago (she's now at LSU).  Go Robertsons!  Way to remind all of us that stereotypes are unfair.   

How about I leave you with some of my favorite Duck Dynasty quotes?


“Parenting is a constant struggle between making your kids' lives better and ruining your own.” – Willie Robertson

"This snowcone is giving me a brain sneeze. It's when your brain needs to sneeze, but it caint cause its a brain, so it just hurts" Si Robertson

"That man has everything, Trucks, Jeeps, Chairs, Pool tables, Mattresses, RV's, Tatader salad, Cold watermelon, He's got everything Jack, .. hey, . sack of oranges.." -- Si Robertson

"You put 5 rednecks on a mower it's gonna be epic." - Willie

"Nothin makes a dad happier than seeing his daughter with a smile on her face and her boyfriend with fear in his eyes." - Willie

"You need to be able to take a leak in your yard without someone saying, 'hey what's he doing'." -Phil

"There are two kinds of people in this world... the educated and the unducated*" - Si Robertson
(*that’s not a type-o)

Hope you have a happy, happy, happy, week of getting Halloween costumes ready for your kids!  

Do you watch Duck Dynasty?  If so, who is your favorite character?  Are they called "characters" on a reality show - or just..."humans."  It's hard to tell.

17 comments:

mandi said...

Holy cow- I have never seen this show, but based on those quotes i am really missing something! I was laughing so hard my stomach hurt!!!

Robin Green said...

The Duck Commander Family book just came out in stores (or Kindle)! It's great--and it will answer all your questions about the Robertsons. They are actually a strong Christian family.

Hendrick Family said...

How funny, Robin! I will have to look it up. For the record, I have no reason to believe the Robertsons are racist. If I had any reason to think so, I would not have dressed our family up (especially not our youngest) in Duck Dynasty costumes.

They seem like a precious family.

I just mean in general - it felt weird to dress our black son up in a get up that can oftentimes remind me of some outrageously racist interactions from people in our past.

I was simply wanting to point out how strange that felt. I guess I should also point out how weird it was to have that conversation with myself about how unfair it is to automatically think of "redneck" and have to remind myself that not all rednecks are racist.

I hate how experiences from our past can taint our thoughts of others (even when we know those assumptions are unfair and wrong).

It's always fun when the kettle calls the pot, black.

Heather

Robin Green said...

Willie and Korie actually adopted a bi-racial little boy--he is named Will. I would say they definitely are not racist, but I know how it could just be assumed!
Definitely read the book--you will be amazed at how educated they are, and of how devoted they are to the things of God. It's the greatest Wednesday night entertainment. Love your blog, your writing ability--and your heart! (I'm one of those long time readers that never comments!)

Hendrick Family said...

Robin!

This made my day. Like I said - it never crossed my mind that this particular family (The Robertsons) were racist. My internal conflict was more about rednecks in general and how they are oftentimes stereotyped as racist. How extra perfect that that Willie and Korie have adopted a little boy and their family looks a lot like ours. It makes this year's Halloween get-up so perfect, and I think it is a great reminder to everyone that stereotypes are unfair.

Thanks for sharing that information with me. Aaron actually found a picture of the Roberston brothers when they were in college - with clean faces looking mighty preppy. It made us laugh!

Now Uncle Si - God bless him.

Is it creeping anyone else out how I'm talking about these people like I know them?

I'm going to add this information to the main post - because I think it's cool.

Heather

midwestmom3 said...

Our family loves loves loves Duck Dynasty. My kids have started working show quotes into everyday conversation. At least 4 of our friends' families have started watching the show just to see what my kooky kids are talking about. We love that the end of each show has them all sitting together at the table in prayer. Awesome costumes! I hope you had a great time at the party.

abby said...

You love Parenthood and now Duck Dynasty?!?!? This post makes me so happy. I love the costumes!

Priyanka Aggarwal said...

Astro vashikaran us the best solution of all love problems.if someone love someone else but he/she couldn't get him then astrology or vashikaran is the best solution for their problems.The mission of Vashikaran is to progress the access to the tantric resources of power and renovation.Vashikaran mantra is used to castlove spell on someone whom you want to make you love.

Carrie said...

Way to go on the costumes! Love it. I had a weird moment last year when we visited Washington DC and our kids all dressed up like George Washington's family. All 5 were dressed looking like Little House, except our one black daughter ended up looking like the kitchen help. It was a weird moment for me. I grimace and then kinda laugh at myself and the ridiculousness I project onto a single picture.

Jon M. said...

Of course we watch!
Uncle Si is my fave. I could listen to that guy 7/24!
(Your family looked great.)

5 Chicks and a Farmer said...

love everything about this! The costumes are awesome!!!

Duck Dynasty is a favorite of ours-except for Phil. I don't get that dude. At all. Or the Miss Kay thing. That hurts my heart.

But other than that, we're hooked.

P.S. for some reason, Jase reminds me of HAYDEN!!!! With lots of facial hair. Maybe it's his dare devil crazy self! But, even in the face under all that hair his facial expressions too.

Olivia said...

What a great idea to dress as them for Halloween! That would make it more fun! Loved learning more about them and personally I have wondered about them calling Mrs. Kay that but don't think it's that weird! Love love love that show and your post along with the comments!

Kelli said...

We love Duck Dynasty! It's become our new family favorite- living overseas we don't really get to "watch" TV- just internet downloads but we still all love it. And I couldn't believe it when I heard she was one of the speakers at the dotmom conference! Love what you shared about them adopting also. Great post! OH, and your costumes are awesome!

astro said...

Lost Love Spell or Spells are used or performed, if you have lost your love and all the efforts that you have tried have failed and there is no way that you can get your love back.

Anonymous said...

as a black male .....I say Ive very inspired guys like you exist ....keep up the love bro ...peace

Sky said...

Totally awesome- what rockin' costumes! I love finding other Moms surrounded by boys! This quote you have pictured is still my very favorite :) Adding you to my sidebar to keep in touch from now on- hope you have a great rest of the week!

mccart said...


i am hear to give testimony of how i got back my husband, we got married for more than 9 years and have gotten two kids. thing were going well with us and we are always happy. until one day my husband started to behave in a way i could not understand, i was very confused by the way he treat me and the kids. later that month he did not come home again and he called me that he want a divorce, i asked him what have i done wrong to deserve this from him, all he was saying is that he want a divorce that he hate me and do not want to see me again in his life, i was mad and also frustrated do not know what to do,i was sick for more than 2 weeks because of the divorce. i love him so much he was everything to me without him my life is incomplete. i told my sister and she told me to contact a spell caster, i never believe in all this spell casting of a thing. i just want to try if something will come out of it. i contacted traditional spell hospital for the return of my husband to me, they told me that my husband have been taken by another woman, that she cast a spell on him that is why he hate me and also want us to divorce. then they told me that they have to cast a spell on him that will make him return to me and the kids, they casted the spell and after 1 week my husband called me and he told me that i should forgive him, he started to apologize on phone and said that he still live me that he did not know what happen to him that he left me. it was the spell that he traditional spell hospital casted on him that make him comeback to me today,me and my family are now happy again today. thank you traditional spell hospital for what you have done for me i would have been nothing today if not for your great spell. i want you my friends who are passing through all this kind of love problem of getting back their husband, wife , or ex boyfriend and girlfriend to contact traditionalspellhospital@gmail.com. and you will see that your problem will be solved without any delay.