Tuesday, August 28, 2012

Behold the Power of The Lego Ideas Book


I think an oath should exist for parents.  It could go something like this, "If I ever find toys, books, or activities that completely engross my children - so much so that they can hardly be bothered by trivial matters such as eating and drinking - I solemnly swear to promptly tell all other parents of such a toy, book, or activity."  Doctors get an oath.  Why shouldn't we?


We found The Lego Ideas Book  at our public library.  Little did I know, standing at the library counter checking out this book, that I was about to rarely see my children's faces for the next week.



Little did I know, I wouldn't be able to see the floor in the playroom for the next week or walk through the room without stepping on Legos (and cursing their existence).


The book offers instructions and ideas for making elaborate houses, boats, storage containers, and airplanes.



The boys spent an entire day (not exaggerating) building this two story house.  The furniture looked like it came straight out of an IKEA catalog.  The house has an indoor and outdoor kitchen.  When the boys finished, we all wanted to move in.  I told them I'd only move in if they got rid of some of the parrots, dingoes, and monkeys.  Aint no way I'm living in a house with a monkey.  Not even a Lego monkey.  And everyone knows dingoes eat babies.








  

There were days when I'd go downstairs in the playroom and announce - "Boys.  Seriously.  I miss your faces."  They were so caught up in building and creating they would skip snacks.  Snack skipping is an unheard of phenomenon in our home prior to being introduced to this book.  These words actually came out of my mouth, "Are you guys drinking water and you know - going to the bathroom and stuff?"  The boys who are usually standing in the kitchen at 5 p.m. asking, "What's for dinner?  When will it be ready?  Is it almost done?  What's in it?  Do I have to eat the tomatoes?" would have to be sought out at dinner time and forced to come upstairs.  Friends, The Lego Ideas Book is powerful.  Powerful.

13 comments:

Jana said...

This will be the best Christmas present ever. Thanks so much for posting this!!!

Rachel said...

Josiah got this for Christmas last year. It is amazing! Enjoy some quiet days! Thanks to your recommendation, Ed Emberley books are the current boy-engrossing tool. He can't do anything because he just *needs* to draw.

midwestmom3 said...

My 7yo checks this out from the library all the time. When it is due, he asks the librarian to put it on the wait list for him so he can get it as soon as it comes back in from being checked out by all the other Lego fanatics. I told a friend about the book and found out her son does the same thing. We could just drive the book back and forth to our houses and save a trip to the library!

Flower Patch Farmgirl said...

That's one terrifying mini figure. Is he making the dog wash dishes at gun-point? Awesome.

I can't wait to show this post to Calvin tomorrow. He may need to come with us in the spring...

keridwp said...

from one lego house to another this product is awesome!!! i normally wouldn't solicit a product but after hearing myself say say pick up your legos one too many times i found this and my house rests in lego peace.....

http://www.layngo.com/

keri

insimplicity said...

Um...you seriously need to cash in on the "lego poster child" picture of your son! By the book, let them build, take their picture, sell it to Lego and never work again! Sounds like a plan to me! =)

insimplicity said...

And...some of us can't spell.
*buy the book

Hendrick Family said...

Ha! You had me at "never work again."

Lora said...

that is awesome! i brought my 8 and 6 year old over to the computer to look at these photos. they were oohing and aahing!! so cute. i'll have to go see if my library has that book!
thanks!!
lora

Patti said...

I love these posts--the 3-D hand drawing and Ed Emberley books were a total smash hit at my house, and I am on my way over to my library web-site to request the Lego book right now.

Jen Graber said...

Buying this today for my son's birthday. It was already in my Amazon cart before you posted, and now I'm totally convinced! Thanks.

yodaarchives.com said...

That is a great book. Lots of ideas for building.

Andrea said...

I got that for my younger son for Christmas last year. It's awesome! I don't think he has *quite* as many Legos as your boys do though!