Thursday, August 23, 2012

BCS Marathon



I've got great news.  The BCS Marathon/Half Marathon is coming up! There are two great ways to be a part of this fab event.  If you're a runner, the race starts at 7:00 a.m. on December 9, 2012 and will be a 13.1 or 26.2 mile journey through the streets of Bryan, College Station, and Texas A&M University.  We'd love to have you join us.  
The race courses are flat and fast, and the route includes plenty of shady neighborhoods, several golf courses, and enough crowd support to help you get to the finish for your first time or your fastest time. The marathon course will be USAT&F certified and a Boston Marathon qualifying race. The team organizing the race is legit, has a lot of experience, and have proven they know how to host a stellar race. If you live in surrounding cities, this race will be worth the drive to Aggieland.

Race Benefits
All runners will receive a technical shirt, a custom medal, long-sleeve cotton participant’s shirt, a goody bag, and post-race food and beer, and all proceeds from the race will benefit two local non-profit organizations (Mercy ProjectSOS Ministries and Down Syndrome Association of Brazos Valley).
Packet pick-up will be Saturday, December 8th.
The second way you can help is by volunteering.  If you're like me and say, "At any given moment, even with double malaria meningitis in the middle of the day in the dessert, I could totally run 1,000 kuh-billion miles, BUT every race needs people who will take one for the team, so I guess I'll volunteer" then let me know!  We'll need a lot of energetic people on our team.  I was recently crowned Volunteer Coordinator in a really moving ceremony that included a light show, a lot of crying, and people passing out.  Not really.  None of that stuff happened, except for me being labeled "volunteer coordinator" and me passing out when the words, "You'll probably have to put together a spreadsheet" were mentioned.  

My goal for our volunteers: 

to be over the top crazy

enthusiastic 

friendly 

organized

Olympian-grade-gifted at hand-to-hand liquid pass-offs

Trained to know exactly when to be helpful and cheer for runners 

Trained to know exactly when to "LOOK-AWAY" during those moments when runners are peeing and pooing down their own legs.  

If you're a runner.  Know this.  We'll be here for you - with posters, friendly faces, efficient organization, screaming voices, and wet wipes if need be.
Whether you'll be running or volunteering, this race is going to be the bees knees 
To learn more about the race visit BCS Marathon's website.
You can register to run HERE.

There's also a "marathon" for kids on December 8.  Details HERE.
You can register to volunteer HERE.  You can help during the race - or at events prior to the race.  There's plenty to do and a variety of ways you can be a part of this epic way to give to Mercy Project, SOS, and the Down Syndrome Association of the Brazos Valley.
I've only run a few races, but I remember the volunteers being a big part of each experience - for better or worse.  If you've run a race and enjoyed something the volunteers did to make your race day wonderful or memorable - let me know!  I'll be sure to put all your suggestions in a spreadsheet as soon as I figure out how to make one.

3 comments:

Rachel said...

So cool that you are helping with this! Our family went out and cheered for the race last year. When I ran a half marathon a few years ago, I thought the funny signs were really encouraging. I ran in the White Rock and they had bands every few miles playing. You could hear them from far off, and it was fun to see.

Becca Graham said...

Otha and I will be Mr. & Mrs. Clause again this year. So if you can add some elves to our gig, that would be great. Get excited. We will try not to tell too many kids that Santa is not real.

Hendrick Family said...

Ooh. Elves. Yes. And reindeer. I'm putting that in my imaginary spreadsheet. Consider it done!!

Heather