Tuesday, August 21, 2012

Aussie in Texas


Our friend Becca is a real-life Australian and she's here visiting with us this week.  She has the most fabulous accent and says things like, "She fell pregnant" and "I'll do it straight-away" and "You have heeps of cereal" and "I really want some lollies [candy]" and "It tastes like fairy floss [cotton candy]" and "I forgot my sunnies [sunglasses]" and "He was injured - but only had a few niggles [minor injuries]" and "You need a whipper-snipper [weed-eater]" and my favorite - "I'll go put on my thongs [flip-flops]."

I know she's not Mary Poppins and that Mary Poppins isn't Australian - but it matters not.  I feel like Mary Poppins is here at my house.  When she read Hudson a book the other night, I hung on every word.  I half expected her to put the book down after she finished and say, "Spit Spot.  Let's go tidy up the nursery."  And then I wanted a nursery.


We met Rebecca (and her husband, Barry) in Haiti.  Becca is in the process of founding a really beautiful organization called Library for All.  Library for All will be an online library stocked with millions of ebooks, course material, and resources. They desire to unlock the world's knowledge and make it available for free to the future leaders of the developing world. By unlocking knowledge and making it available to the poor they will give them the tools they need to take themselves out of poverty.

If what Library for All is working to accomplish is inspiring to you, be sure to follow along with Becca as she gets this vision off the ground.  You can find Library for All on Twitter and Facebook.

Becca will be heading back to Haiti soon, but since this was her first time in Texas, I felt like it was my obligation (and privilege) to feed her Mexican food and Blue Bell Ice Cream. She's been to America before - but not Texas.  I did my job as a Texan and made it really clear that coming to America and coming to Texas are not the same things.  We Texans - we know how to make ice cream and cheese enchiladas - but most importantly we know how to be absolutely obnoxious about our State.  Yee-haw!

If you're from Texas, but don't live here anymore - what is the main thing you miss about The Lone Star State?  I have a couple more days with Bec.  Maybe I can cram all the Texas Awesome in before she goes.

12 comments:

Andrea said...

So good!! You're off to a great start with Chuy's!!! I am in Singapore and have a few Aussie friends. They typically miss Target like I do! Have you been there yet?Also, we miss Christian concerts and real Diet Coke and Hobby Lobby, Bed Bath & Beyond, Bath & Body.... So, yeah, pretty much food and shopping. :) We have been known to eat at Chuy's 3-4 times in one week when we're home for a visit. You should probably go there again.

Teri H said...

Yeehaw! is right! We are traveling right now (still in America) and I miss the two things you mentioned! Cheese enchiladas and Blue Bell! You've done Texans proud!

Katie said...

Mexican food! That is what I miss most. It is just not the same anywhere else in the US. Well, the parts I've lived in at least. Also, Hobby Lobby and Whataburger.

Anonymous said...

Sweet tea? You've done very well so far!! What about BBQ?

White Gals said...

I miss James Avery- even though I have never really been to their store in Kerville- every high school Christian (or non it doesnt even matter) wears the cross ring with pride and I can spot there stuff anywhere. I just gave my twins who turned 7 their first piece of jewelry, the state of Texas charm with a heart cut out of the middle from James Avery of course! We live in NC now and I miss it daily. My lisence plate is TXTAXI-mom of 4 kids so it is totally appropriate!!!

Marla Taviano said...

Oh. My. Word. LIBRARY?? For ALL?? That is so freaking cool!!

Brandon and April said...

Malt O Meal. :) No lie. My mom ships me a box every other month. Didn't have it on the East Coast when we lived there, much less in The Big Chicken now. Us Texans, we know our hot breakfast cereal.

Becca said...

my brother lives in Hawaii right now and he misses chick-fil-a and rudy's barbecue the most!

LD said...

Chik-Fil-A, Target, La Bodega (with that heaven-sent dessert)... all good Texan things. Oh and Sonic - that's a must.

PS I saw your previous post about Chuy's and then had to go eat there tonight. Thanks a lot. 4 hours later I'm still completely stuffed, which probably has something to do with the inordinate amount of creamy jalapeno I allowed myself to consume.

PPS Posting the recipe for that was probably the most hateful thing you've ever done. We ate an entire container in 2 days. And by we I mean mostly me. Did I mention I'm lactose intolerant?

WalkingMissMolly said...

I'm not a Texan, but have family there. I just wanted to comment on "thongs". Maybe it's my age, but that is what flip-flops were called when I was growing up here in the mid-west (in the 60s). Our 2 college-age daughters get hysterical when they hear their father looking for his thongs....FLIP-FLOPS!

Kari said...

I live in Maryland now and Chuys and Blue Bell are at the top of my list of things I miss. We have no Tex Mex here. Also I miss Sonic and Layne's chicken, and KSBJ.

Lindsay said...

snow cones off the side of the road in one of those little shacks. We hit one up almost everyday when we are visiting Houston. Nashville does not have them!