Monday, July 30, 2012

Fish Tacos with Creamy Jalapeno


Mid-dinner every single time we eat these fish tacos someone declares (with their mouth full), "Yep.  Still my favorite meal ever."  We're so die-hard about these fish tacos, it's not even funny.

You'll need:

Creamy Jalapeno Sauce.  If you don't make the sauce, it's a total deal breaker for the whole recipe.  Find the recipe for Creamy Jalapeno Sauce HERE.

You'll also need:

Oil for frying
fish fry (batter of your choice)
Tilapia, thawed (fresh or previously frozen fillets)
1 bunch of cilantro
several limes
red cabbage (sliced in thin strips)



After washing the tilapia, coat each fillet with batter. We use a simple, gluten-free cornmeal batter.



Fry the fish. The only thing I like about frying food is feeling like Paula Deen for a few minutes.  Mostly I hate the entire process.  I swear I feel my arteries clogging while standing near hot oil.  I forget all about those clogged arteries once I'm eating these fish tacos.  Triple bypass surgery?  What's that?  Never heard of it.  If you prefer not to get heart disease, I'm sure grilled tilapia would work too. When frying the fish, it seems to take about 5-8 minutes for the fillets to turn golden brown and cook throughout.



While the fish is frying, chop one bunch of cilantro.  Several limes.  And some red cabbage (in thin strips).  After everything is chopped, fried, and ready, wrap a stack of corn tortillas in a wet dish towel and microwave for 2 minutes (this steams the tortillas really well).  You can also use flour tortillas if you prefer (but we think corn tortillas are the perfect flavor combination).


It's time to assemble your tacos.  On your warm corn tortillas, layer fish, plenty of red cabbage, and cilantro.  Slather those babies in creamy jalapeno sauce.  Then squeeze lime all over this blessed pile of wonder.  Eat until you need to ask forgiveness.

Fish tacos, I love you so much I want to have your babies.


Find the recipe for the creamy jalapeno sauce HERE.




5 comments:

Madster said...

Hi, I've been reading your blog since you were in Haiti. But first time commenter. Love the way you write, and and your faith inspire me. I can't imagine how fish taco would taste like but might give them a try!

Andrea said...

I can't make myself fry anything but when I make fish tacos I cook my fish like I would ground beef. I haven't made them in a while and am making them soon. I've also never tried them with purple cabbage or creamy jalapeno dip. GREAT idea! Yum!! Now.... living in Asia, I am on the hunt for real jalapeno's instead of chilies. :)

mandi said...

We love fish tacos too! Wanted to add that if you use some good, virgin coconut oil your arteries can still be your BFFs.

BCCC Mamma said...

This is awesome broiled, too! I do it all the time (you can even do the batter). Don't be afraid!

Frogs Mom said...

What would fish taco babies look like? Would they look like tiny tacos or just caviar?