Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Blueberries


Blueberries are on sale this week in our town.  To celebrate we made our favorite, frozen blueberry treats.  Nothing says "summer" like a blueberry brain freeze.

{{Frozen Blueberry Bites}}

Vanilla yogurt or Greek yogurt
Blueberries
Almonds (optional)



Line a large, flat baking sheet with parchment paper.  Clump blueberries in groups of three.


I like to add an almond on the top of the blueberry pyramid.  Almonds add extra protein and make these delicious snacks extra filling.  With four ravenous boys in this house, “filling” is greatly appreciated.  I’m finding that a boy’s stomach has a lot in common with a black hole.


Cover each mound of blueberries with yogurt.  Make sure you use enough yogurt to generously cover each pile of berries.  Don’t worry too much about perfection.  Something magical happens in the freezer, turning giant globs of yogurt and fruit into this…



Frozen treats that are the perfect pick-me-ups on a hot, summer day.
I place the entire baking pan in the freezer for about an hour and a half.
This recipe is simple and freezes fast.



After the blueberry treats are frozen solid, you can remove them from the parchment paper and eat them – or drop each one into a large freezer bag to keep on hand for ready-made snacks.  I love that when hunger sets in, the kids can grab a few of these by themselves without any help from me. 


{{Blueberry Pasta}} 



photo credit:  Eating Well

Our kids were reluctant to try this Blueberry Pasta recipe.  Blueberries in pasta?  Sounds weird.  But, you've never seen boys blow through a bowl of pasta faster.  They each had heaping seconds.

Find the recipe here.  The only ingredient I added was a handful of parmesan cheese on each bowl.  While they filled their bellies with noodles, this paleo mamma at a delicious chicken/blueberry/feta cheese salad.  Win-win.

Got any other blueberry recipes you love?

3 comments:

Ashley said...

I've always wondered... how long do those last? (Specifically the yogurt part?)

Hendrick Family said...

Well...ours get eaten in about 2 weeks, so I'm not sure.

I froze a bunch of blueberries and put them in freezer bags - and those last for what feels like forever. We'll be throwing those in smoothies well into the winter.

Christy said...

I will need to try those! I hear ya on the black hole thing. I'm scared to total up how much a month we spend on groceries. Eeeekkkk!