Thursday, May 24, 2012

Implosion


Weeks ago I was driving through town and called Aaron to say, "Precision Demolition trucks are surrounding The Plaza.  They are going to blow it up!"  Aaron quickly reminded me that blowing buildings up is not usually what cities pay companies to do - instead they pay companies to IMPLODE buildings.  Whatever.  Minor detail.  We have been waiting for a long time for this day to finally arrive.  Thankfully the city was great and released the details of the implosion to the public.  They provided roped off viewing areas and the Plaza had its own implosion website.  It was set to implode at the ungodly hour of 6:30 this morning.    

At 4:30 a.m. the alarm made a terrible noise signaling us to rise and shine.  It took me 9 minutes to decide if we had finally lost our minds. "We're about to wake up four peaceful, sleeping children.  What is wrong with us?"  Our boys did not require much "waking."  They could barely sleep the night before - so much so that we titled last night - "Implosion Eve."  Unlike their parents they popped right out of bed ready to go see the building "slode up."  "Splode Up" is what Hudson has been calling it.  I will weep when he starts saying dumb words like "explode" instead of "splode up."









 

video by Chad Stephens

Watching a giant building fall down in five seconds will definitely be something that lodges in my memory (and I'm hoping our boys' memories) forever.  I think the word I'd use to describe the implosion would be "shocking."  I literally could not believe how fast it fell.  One minute there.  The next gone.  It was unbelievable.  The Plaza imploded in only a few seconds and landed perfectly in a neat little pile.  The science behind this blows my mind.

The implosion triggered thoughts of Haiti.  The rubble of the collapsed building reminded me of the rubble that became a normal part of our landscape when we lived there.  Imagining living people inside the building that fell took my breath away.  The power and force of a giant structure collapsing is something that is difficult to describe.  We literally felt it in our chests. It was sobering to think of our friends experiencing what we witnessed on a much more horrific scale.

I was thankful that this collapse was completely controlled - precise - that people were safely watching from a distance.  Sounds of cheers burst forth.  Such a strange contrast.

Hudson has already asked me three times today if we can "go watch that building splode up again."  Uh.  No.  Sorry, buddy.

If you ever get the chance to watch an implosion - take our word for it - GO!  Getting up at the crack of dawn was worth every single second.

2 comments:

Christy said...

That is like every little boys dream...demolition! LOL

Flower Patch Farmgirl said...

I love that you did this. I love splode up. If we lived in your hood, we would have ridden shot-gun.