Saturday, March 17, 2012

DIY Microwave Popcorn

 
While looking through my archives for a flashback weekend post, I realized that on this day three years ago I learned a valuable tip from my friend, Kirby.  DIY microwave popcorn.  Don't you love tips that become a normal part of life?  We eat this snack several times a week.  

 

I'm not sure why I heart this method of popping popcorn more.  Is it great because I no longer have to buy microwave popcorn that contains a long list of weird ingredients? Is it great because I no longer have to pay for expensive, organic microwave popcorn?  Or is it great because the kids can make this snack themselves?  The jury is still out, but as they are deliberating I imagine them eating popcorn talking about how great it is that kids can be on their own during snack time.

{What you need}

A brown paper lunch bag
1/4 cup popcorn
salt (optional)
butter (optional)

 

Measure out 1/4 cup popcorn.  I keep this measuring cup in the popcorn jar so my kids never have to wonder how much to use.  Pour popcorn in the brown paper bag.

 

Fold top of the bag over a few times, creasing as you fold.  Place in microwave.

 

You'll have to experiment with your microwave to figure out how long to cook the popcorn.  Every microwave seems to differ.

 

 

 Our favorite way to eat the popcorn?  With butter, salt, and some cane sugar.  Instant kettle corn.  Yum.  We are always suckers for carnival food.

7 comments:

Brit said...

Thank you, thank you, thank you for this post! We will be trying this today. =)

Sharon Wheeless said...

Eureka! I had no idea this was even possible! I guess I really thought there was something magical sealed up in the bag that makes microwave popcorn work. We will definitely be trying this in case de Wheeless.

Susan, wife of 1, mother of 4 said...

What a FANTASTIC idea! I am not a huge fan of microwave popcorn, for the same reason that you aren't, either. The stove method is not conducive for kids to do, and requires oil. This is GREAT! Thank you for posting!!!

abby said...

We have a microwave popcorn popper that use all of the time! Popcorn is definitely our favorite snack...

http://www.campingworld.com/shopping/item/Microwave-Popcorn-Popper/59153/&?&affiliateid=3274&cvsfa=2734&cvsfe=2&cvsfhu=3539313533&gclid=CMTPlZCS764CFSQCQAodjRufMQ

Carmen said...

I love popcorn and had no idea this was possible! Simply amazing.

John said...

Love this. Thanks for posting.

Tiago said...

Last year I have lived in a Buenos Aires temporary rent without oven, so I learned to use the microwave for everything. I found out that truly many meals are more tasty in the oven, but popcorn and many other meals you could do it in the microwave without problems.