Thursday, February 23, 2012

Thursday Tidbits

Don't you love screen door weather?  

I'm pretty sure the last time I sat down was a week ago.  I guess that's why they call it moving.  You never stop moving.


Even if it's only for a few months, we finally feel settled.  The neighbor's phone numbers are stuck on the refrigerator with superhero magnets.  The boys have christened the backyard with their pee and shelters.


Hudson has fallen in love.  


With boots.  

He has gone from adorable GAP model to...well...I don't know what you'd call this look, but he's rockin' it.


Two of our kids are truckin' along with their new gluten free diets.  I'm feeling less overwhelmed thanks to some helpful tips from friends.  Confession:  I had to look up the word, "gluten."  Animal?  Vegetable?  Mineral?  I had no idea.  

The two gluten-frees lived on bacon and grapes for several days.  I'm feeling more adventurous and cooking real foods for them now.  Kristen Howerton wrote about going gluten free and how it helped one of her kids.  I was intrigued.  I've also been reading this interesting book, Healing the New Childhood Epidemics:  Autism, ADHD, Ashtma, and Allergies.  Two of our kids suffer from two of those "disorders."  We are encouraged by the improvements we've seen and it's only been one full week.

In an attempt to branch out in the gluten-free/whole foods arena, we ate roasted beets for the first time in our whole lives last night.  Shockingly, they were delicious.  The boys got a kick out of the fact that the beets made it look like their chicken was gushing blood.  I got woozy. The beets also caused a medical scare in our house this morning.

Here's the text I sent Aaron after a mild panic attack and some detective work of the grossest kind:

Me:  OMG.  Beets turn your poo blood red. The boys are freaking.  And their pee is orange.

Aaron:  I saw that this morning myself.  I was worried I was peeing blood, but looked it up and figured out it was the beets.

For Aaron to look a medical condition up on the internet means one thing:  He was worried.  Something about Aaron thinking he was dying at work makes me laugh hysterically.  Go ahead.  Pass The Wife of the Year Award.

15 comments:

missing africa said...

i totally needed your middle of the afternoon laugh~ also would love to hear how yall are doing the Lent fast with your family. blessings on your move!

Marla Taviano said...

Is Ashton the one with the Ashtma? ;)

Erin Richer said...

What? No picture of the blood red pee and poo? Sheesh. If that's not picture worthy, what is?

Michaela@Life With the Crazies said...

Oh my word... I had a similar experience... this is so freaking hilarious! And I LOVE the tire swing... what a fun yard!

Small Town Joy: said...

i love the "pee in the backyard" comment.

when we moved to our current home Riley jumped out of the car and ran straight to the edge of the woods, dropped his pants and let her rip.

the former owners were still in the drive.

good times.

if you like sweet potato casserole I have an awesome gluten free recipe that everyone loves.

email me if you want the skinny.

joykinard@yahoo.com

Jeanie said...

I have been gluten free for almost two years and it only took 6 weeks into it for me to be off all of my "breathing" medicines. I also gave up sodas and recently chocolate and it is amazing how giving these things up has given me so much in return.

Life with Kaishon said...

Interesting. Very, very interesting.

Sarah Kuhner said...

I have been gluten free for 8 months and it has changed every single thing in my body. We eat a lot of meat, fruit and veggies, plus some dairy. I recently discovered (http://maninisglutenfreeblog.com/√) the maninis web site. They sell the most amazing flour that is made from ancient grains. I have just started making my own gluten free bread with their flour. It is easy and tastes like real bread. I use their flour in everything while cooking. You can't tell the difference. Look up their website. You won't regret it!

Marie said...

Too funny! Love the post!

mandi said...

So glad you are reading that book! Isn't is fascinating how all of those conditions are related. Very rarely do we see just one on its own. I'm happy you are already seeing results!

If you think roasted beets are good, you should try beet cake. Super good. If you can make it gluten free, I guess. I'm sure you could figure that out!
http://herbanhomestead.blogspot.com/2008/04/funky-fresh.html

nic said...

all y'all gluten-frees are slowly winning me over. is it A Lot Of Work? or does one stop having to think much of it once past the initial break-in?

hope all goes well as you adjust to the neighborhood for these few months. glad the boys have staked out their territory. :)

Dorean said...

That text is hi-lar-i-ous!!! I'm rocking my baby to sleep choking on laughter trying not to wake her up. Thank you for sharing!

Amy said...

you have the best humor. thanks for being a blogger. it makes it so easy to keep up with your family...and that makes me sounds like a stalker. just wanted to encourage you in your gluten free journey. i was one sick girl before i figured out that gluten was the culprit. i have faith that it will help your boys too!!

Covey and Justin said...

Check out the Feingold diet--my oldest was out of control full on Autism and we found out it was more allergies than anything. We took petroleum out of his diet (TBHQ, BHT, Dyes) and out of the BEAUTY PRODUCTS (soaps etc) and within 8 days we had a normal child. It was amazing!! Dye free is MUCH easier than gluten free too :)

Love that laugh about the beets too. My daughter loves beets and hopes to one day turn pink from it.

Paige said...

GF is fantastic, our daughter has been for six years and we saw an impressive difference in only two weeks. Loved the beets!