Saturday, January 28, 2012

Saturday





We started watching Parenthood today.  I cried four times in one hour.  Okay.  Five.  I teared up when Lorelai started talking.  Does that count?  It wasn't what Lorelai said.  It was simply that it was her. Apparently I have an unhealthy attachment to the Gilmore Girl Goddess.  It's like she's been resurrected.  Sure. Her name is different, she has two kids, and neither of them are Rory.  But I know it's Lorelai.  She's in there.  I've missed her.  It's like getting an old friend back.  Thanks for listening.

In other news...

Hudson pooed in the yard this weekend.  After this stunt, he immediately decided it was not his best idea of 2012.  He started screaming bloody-dang murder.  I ran out of the house in the direction of the screaming expecting to find him near death.  Instead I found a panic-faced, pantsless kid.  I could not even discipline him.  His wide eyes said it all.  This poo plan was half-baked.  He hadn't really thought it through.

I've had some half-baked ideas in my life.  Haven't you?  The results have caught me just as wide-eyed and off guard.

Here's something they never mention in the parenting books:  Most kids are going to poo in the yard a time or two.  Especially if they are boys. Why do they insist on leaving all the important stuff out of the books?  Why oh why oh why?  If you write a parenting book an entire chapter should be set aside for this exact topic.  The poo in the yard chapter should come right after the chapter on Sharpie markers.

On the trek back to the house Hudson filled me in on how "gross and be-sgusting" his behavior was.  I only added a couple thoughts to the conversation.  1.  That dogs make it look a lot more effortless than it really is and 2.  I went ahead and talked back up the potty.  You know.  Just in case.

Hoping your weekend is the perfect mix of strange and beautiful.  Those are still the best kind of Saturdays, are they not?

Long-live Saturdays.  And Lorelai.  And toilets.  Especially toilets.

18 comments:

Kim said...

well said. :)

amym said...

I too loved gilmore girls...and have watched every episode of parenthood...and I too started watching it due to Lauren Graham...

Second...when my son was three I was tucking him into bed one night and he told me he pooped outside that day and the dog ate it...even worse..

thanks for the laughs

Elizabeth said...

Parenthood is enchanting and hands down the best show on tv.

Ha! My little boy pooped on the porch when he was 2. His big sister suggested it so we made her pick it up-disgusting!

Danielle said...

Parenthood is my favorite show ever. Wait til you get into more episodes. The more attached you get to the characters the more crying episodes you experience every. week.

Captain Murdock said...

This post literally made me laugh out loud. Poo in the yard ... not just for boys. And in public sand boxes at playgrounds (I should add ... under DAD's watch and with his half-approval, not realizing it was going to be #2). Oy vey!

Flower Patch Farmgirl said...

Oh dear.

But "besgusting"? That's about the cutest thing ever. Ruby still always, always, always says "bemember" and it's my favorite thing.

Flower Patch Farmgirl said...

PS - Don't think I didn't notice that you didn't mention FNL.

PSS - That was a really confusing/wrong sentence I just wrote.

Anonymous said...

I'm watching Parenthood on Netflix as I read this post. Started a week ago. I'm sneaking away from my kids to watch an episode. Terrible. :)

Anonymous said...

i am SO glad you called her Lorelei - i still call her Lorelei too! (for real) - before i finished reading your paragrpah i was rejoicing!

Long live gilmore girls forever! :)

-parenthood is pretty good too :)

Meaghan said...

I love Gilmore Girls too! I have every season and watch it all the time! I havent seen many episodes of parenthood but from what i have seen it looks good!

Jewel said...

I love Parenthood... it is so real life!

mandi said...

Parenthood is our favorite right now. yeah, I cry every episode.
I remember that moment when the show first came out and Loralai walked on the screen. Made my heart so happy!!! Gilmore Girls will always and forever be my favorite show. And if you wanted to have a Gilmore Girls weekend, I wouldn't hate it.
As for the poop...I'm so happy we are past that stage. I won't call anybody out, but somebody in this family pooped on the floor everyday like it was normal. It was not normal...

Anonymous said...

i'm a random stranger who has read your blog for the past several months. i thought of you guys during church this morning and prayed for you for much of the sermon. just wanted to let you know that there are still lots of people praying and rooting for you and following along. we sang this song and it is what brought you guys to mind. i hope you find it encouraging. you have probably heard it before, as i have, but it was really moving this morning. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oyPBtExE4W0 . i love the garden analogy- i think it is what brought you all to mind. glad you are planting again. praying for peace and wisdom for you all as you go forward.
-ashley

Hendrick Family said...

Ashley,

That song is beautiful. I loved getting to "see" and hear it. Thank you for sending it to us and for praying for our family. It means so much.

Heather

Paige said...

That was better than a you tube video. true story. Our little man says "uhsgusting" so cute. Haven't had any of them poo in the yard. yet. hmm. Lots of peeing in the yard... just a boy thing 'cause they can. plus we only have one bathroom. Still praying for the Lord's favor and wisdom for you guys! Thanks for keeping the laughter coming.

Brad and Carrie said...

So true on the poo/boys phenomenon. If you write said parenting book, will you also add a chapter that talks about the projecting milk across the room while nursing thing. Nobody.told.me.this.

Stacey said...

It's OK. My son peed on our tire in the church parking lot when he was three.

I found him mid-stream along with everyone else leaving church.

I quickly got over being so religious.

Lindsey said...

HAH! Andy always laughs at me when I call her Lorelei, Glad to know I'm not alone!