Saturday, January 14, 2012

The Best Kind of Saturday







Perfect Saturdays happen rarely, but when they do I consider them one of the most priceless, precious gifts a girl could ever receive.  Next to bacon.

This farm has always welcomed us home and hugged us tight during times of transition.  Since being back we have made a point to walk every inch of this place.  The weather has been down-right cooperative and allowed us many hours spent walking, running, and hopping from gopher hole to gopher hole.  Wide open pastures.  Hills.  Sticks.  Climbing trees.  We want to savor every step, every discovery, and every moment with the people here that we love.

In other news...

I plunged deep into the Hunger Games Series yesterday.  Why didn't anyone warn me that this would mean motherhood suicide?  I completely ignored my children.  I could barely remember their names.  They were forced to scavenge for food.  Hudson kept saying, "Look at my face.  Mom.  Look at my face."  Katniss.  You have turned me into a mother who tucks her kids into bed and says, "If you get up, I'm cutting your feet off.  I want to read my book, and I want you all to stay in your beds. Got it?"  Anson has read the entire series.  This worked in my favor.  He ran interference.  "Leave mom alone.  Those books are so good."  Anson kept Hudson alive yesterday.  That boy and I bond over books.  I stayed up until a ridiculous hour reading last night.  I woke up at a ridiculous hour to finish reading this morning.  After the last page was read, I set the Kindle aside and informed the boys that their mother was back.  "I will feed you proper food again and make eye contact with you. Until I start reading the second book."

In other, other news...

While I was at home devouring The Hunger Games and our kids were eating leftover Christmas candy, Aaron was at a nearby ranch with James Dobson, George Barna, and 148 other evangelical big-wigs.  To explain "what the cheese" Aaron was doing at this meeting would take all day, involve sound system set-ups, and childhood friends.  The lengthy explanation would end with these words, "No matter how hard we try, our life insists on being bizarre."

Representatives from places like The New York Times and CBS were right outside the ranch's gate waiting for the evangelicals to give a statement about which Republican presidential candidate they are going to support in the 2012 election.  When this article says, "a ranch outside of Houston" they also mean "a ranch right down the road from us."  We insist on keeping it weird around here.

Santorum wins support of evangelical leaders at Texas meeting.      

Happy Saturday.  I hope yours was the perfect combination of wonderful and weird.  Those are the best kind.

15 comments:

Matt and Larra said...

just saw the previews for The Hunger Games movie coming soon. I have no idea what its about but maybe it will be a cool date for you and Anson :)

beth lehman said...

Devour is the right word for the Hunger Games - let everyone be warned. Good thing you don't have the second book at the moment. I was out for all three - right. in. a. row. My kids have known for some time to leave mama alone if she is reading. And a good Saturday = Bacon. For sure.

Jeff and Betsy said...

Greetings from Baltimore! My heart skipped a beat when you mentioned The Hunger Games. I just finished a week and a half of reading the entire series too - I swear they were all I could think about. Even dreamt about it too. I felt like I was released back into reality once I finished them...but I can't wait to see the film so I can dive back in!

Kristine (a/k/a Mouse) said...

THE HUNGER GAMES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I finished the first one in a day and a half of vacation at a friend's, mostly while she was at work.

Finished the second, which is actually even BETTER than the first, I know, doesn't even seem POSSIBLE, but it IS!, in a week around working and friends.

Am currently halfway through the 3rd. And I'm starting a Facebook "event" for local friends to go see it opening weekend.

CAN'T
HARDLY
WAIT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Michaela@Life With the Crazies said...

I did the same thing when I read the Hunger Games... It was about four days and I finished the series, and my husband and kids were all glad to have me back. I cannot wait to see the movie, and I'm not really a "I've got to go to the movies at the theatre" kind of girl. But I will be for this. I mourned a little when I was done reading, I didn't want it to be over.

Kim said...

1. I had a delicious Saturday as well. Life is good.
2. The Hunger Games sucked the life right out of me. Enjoy.

Kayla said...

I completely understand how you feel about the Hunger Games series. I sat and read the first two books straight through and did little else. I had to wait for the third one to come out though, so the few month wait brought me back to reality.

H & H said...

Love, love, love The Hunger Games. I have the 3rd on kindle and I can "loan" it to you so you don't have to buy it!! Send me an email with your email address and I will send it your way!!

H & H said...

Ok, so that last comment was from me...and not sure why it linked to a blog that I started and never used. I'm not even sure what email address it is linked to!! Email me at cwpmom@gmail.com and let me know which email address your kindle is linked to and I will send it your way!!
~Heather B.

Flower Patch Farmgirl said...

1. Santorum. I've been reading about "the ranch" all dayyyyyyyy!

2. The Hunger Games. I'm afraid of it/them. Why? Should I push through the fear?

Lauren said...

I just finished the Hunger Games series last night and my husband is so relieved! He just doesn't understand, but he will as soon as he picks up the first book! ;) Now I am eagerly anticipating the movie!!!

Susan, wife of 1, mother of 4 said...

I'm so glad that that farm is wrapping its arms around you and helping you during the transition. Praise God! I do the same things with good books. You describe it perfectly! Over Christmas one year, I spent 3 days in our small downstairs bathroom in England that was carpeted. I sat on the toilet lid and read. I came out for meals (to prepare them) and to take care of the occasional child who needed me, but for the most part, I was in that nice, cozy, warm bathroom reading. Paul kept trying to draw me out and I kept retreating. Finally we discovered that the heat was broken and that was the warmest room in the house! We still laugh it now. These days when I pick up a book, Paul wants until the end and then says, "Oh phew....you're back now!" Enjoy, Heather. It's one of life's sweetest pleasures!

mandi said...

AHHH, the Hunger Games. Rachel S. got me hooked on those! I remember when I went to the library and asked where they were, the librarian said "in the teen section". I was confused, so I repeated the title thinking that "surely I am not requesting a book out of the teen section...I mean, I have a degree in Literature- PROPER literature".
I loved them. And I raced through them. I want to read them again- they are so dang good!
And as it turns out, I really dig teen fiction.

Diabra said...

I keep hearing how good this series is, but when I pick them up at the store and read the back I just feel so uncomfortable with the concept. Are they gruesome? Would a mature 12yo cope with them ok?
Glad you had a great Saturday. We miss Australian bacon. and lamb. and vegemite.

Kristen {RAGE against the MINIVAN} said...

I seriously think CPS had grounds to remove my children from my care the week I read the Hunger Games. So addictive! Man, I miss that love triangle.

And duuude. I need to hear more about how Aaron was at that meeting. What I wouldn't give to be a fly on the wall at that one!