Thursday, October 27, 2011

Excuse Me While I Feel Your Veins

I am congested, drank an obscene amount of caffeine today, and took Sudafed.  Should a person write in a public space in that condition?  I guess we'll see.  Today was a fun, busy day at prenatals. 

Fantastic class taught by Melissa.
She is fluent in Creole and makes a cole slaw salad that I think about two days after I've eaten it.
Who knew cole slaw could be so dreamy?
The babies of Esther and Mama Emmanuel are still on the inside of their mothers unfortunately.  True Story:  Holding a giant pregnant belly and chanting, "Come Out.  Come Out.  Come Out.  Come Out." does nothing to actually bring a baby out. Mama Emmanuel has such a beautiful story.  Tara wrote about her here. 

Beth and Etienne

Beth is visiting from my home town.  She too is fluent in Creole, but I'm not sure how she feels about cole slaw.  Having someone here from home feels weird and yet oh so good.  She is in Haiti for two weeks.

 Melissa has been teaching Tara and I how to "do labs."  At Heartline we are able to test our ladies for things like HIV, Syphilis, other STD's, Hepatitis C, and B.  We can even test their blood types.

Weird how only one of us is smiling.

Jen and Melissa have both played a brave part in teaching Tara and me how to draw blood.  One day I'm living in Texas minding my own business and the next thing I know, I'm in Haiti wearing latex gloves, poking people with needles.  This blows my mind and makes me smile thinking of all of you out there reading.  Maybe you're minding your own business too, and you're about to turn the page and find that God is writing a weird, unbelievable story one chapter over.  You just never know.

So far, learning to draw blood is going very well. We have excellent teachers. If you're a medical person, you may get what I'm about to throw out here.  There is nothing like learning to draw blood.  After learning this skill is it normal to want to take blood all day long every day for the rest of your life?  Tell me that's normal.  I'm tempted to go take some right now from my sleeping children.  I won't though.  I'm too tired.  This is a mixed emotion to feel because it goes without saying that the person you're sticking is not nearly as excited about the process as you are.  That part stinks.  But I won't lie:  when we realize we're done with labs, and that there are no more women who need testing, it is a major let down.  "Really?  No one else needs a test?  Really?  Are you sure?" 

On a more serious note (although I consider falling asleep thinking about veins dead serious) I am proud of the care we can give our ladies at Heartline.  We have a mini-lab in the middle of a third world country.  That blows my mind.  We have medications to treat our ladies.  I'm so thankful these women can get the care they need.  Thank you for giving to these women.  Your prayers and financial gifts matter and are making a difference.

If you want to pray for our pregnant ladies, here is an updated post with their photos and information.

We still need your help at the Giving of Life Grant.  It takes 3 seconds to vote for Heartline.  Have you done that yet?  We'd sure like to win that $50,000 so we can expand our program.

Thanks for loving our ladies.

I'm off to take some Benadryl night time pills and fall asleep thinking about tourniquets.

8 comments:

the amy's said...

That's so funny, Heather! Wade's in paramedic school until August. We went on a date and he kept rolling the veins on my hand, when he held it. When I totally called him out on it, he laughed and admitted he kept wanting to start an iv on me. I apparently have awesome veins. Lol. Let us know where you end up schooling. I really believe midwifery is in our future as well. I'm researching programs also. Super excited for you.

Sarah Kuhner said...

You make me laugh. I'm a NICU nurse and find myself looking at peoples veins and thinking about how hard it would be to start an IV or draw labs. I always do a happy "I got it" dance when I hit the vein. Of course, I wait until the parents are not in the room. Have fun learning how to draw labs!!

Life with Kaishon said...

I pray Jesus never ever makes me draw blood from anyone. Just the thought of it gives me the heebie jeebies.

Anonymous said...

That is too funny! When I was in Respiratory Therapy school my husband would constantly call me out for sizing him up for a whole plethora of procedures from bloodwork to intubations! Sadly he was never game to let me practice my skills on him ;)

Happy blood drawing!

Crystal

Megan said...

My mom went to nursing school when I was fresh out of college. I tried my hardest to help her study her way through it. And then- the blood drawing came and the woman became obsessed. She begged me to let her "practice" on me. She talked about drawing blood 24/7. She started comtemplating trying to draw from herself because she just thought it was so fun. I'll put you both in the same category of weird- but no! You are not alone! Also, when I had my first child, one of the first thing that my mom did with her was to take her arm, assess her veins and proudly announce which ones she would draw from if my baby girl suddenly needed some sort of emergency blood draw at grandma's house! Keep up all the good work you are doing!!!!!

Jenny said...

Heather you are so weird :) I almost passed out just reading the words, vein and blood. But I am glad God allowed you this great joy!

Chelsea said...

This post is too funny. I couldn't stop laughing at your caption on the last photo. Seriously though, awesome job at mastering drawing blood, especially in Haiti! That is great work you are doing for those ladies :).

Jamie S said...

Absolutely a sickness of those in the medical profession. Of course, we don't want anyone to get sick or hurt, but we thrive on fixing them anyway. Instead of noticing the eye color of someone I meet, I notice their veins. I look at pictures of people I don't know and their (usually a man's) veins make me catch my breath. I eye my husbands arms weekly, my kids monthly. Sick and wrong. But such longing to poke and succeed! I'm an RN and I'm currently between ER jobs. Haven't poked anyone in almost a month other than giving my hubs a tetanus shot last week. I don't know how long I can go before my next stick. (So wrong, so, so wrong!)