Saturday, August 20, 2011

This Week in Review

I don't do a very good job of reporting the day-to-day things that go on around our home and Heartline community.  I'm usually moved to write when something big is happening.  Writing is like free counseling.  If something doesn't cause major deep thinking or move my soul, it usually doesn't get written about.  True story.  I'm going to try and rectify this because I think it will help people to know how to pray for us (we are always grateful for that) and it will make me feel sane.  I start to worry about my mental condition when the mundane (like losing power in the night, or a four hour grocery store trip) starts to feel normal and hardly worth reporting.  What?  Maybe writing about those things will help preserve their weirdness and keep me feeling normal.

This week....


Our teachers/tutors/brave souls arrived in Haiti.  The first day Jimmy (the husband half of our educational combo) and Hayden sat in an hour of traffic in the back of a pick up truck in the middle of a deluge.  The two of them were soaking wet and cold.  I kept looking back to make sure Jimmy had not jumped out of the truck.  I was waiting for him to grab Becky out of the inside of the vehicle and the two of them start running back to the airport.  Our family would have been forced to sit there and watch our tutors run away since traffic was so dumb and stopped that we had no hope of moving an inch any time soon.  Thankfully they did not run away.  As of today, they are still here.  Wait.  I should probably text them to see if they really are still here.  Every day I see them, I find myself whispering a "thank you Lord."  This is a hard place to live and we're beyond grateful for this highly-qualified couple who have been given a good dose of things not going as expected in the few days they have been here...yet they remain!  You can pray for Becky.  She found out she is pregnant before coming to Haiti.

Our truck broke this week.  That's always fun.  It got fixed faster than expected.  When that happens in Haiti, it is cause for celebration.

Things you can pray about...

Storm


Apparently there could be a pretty significant storm hit our area on Monday (thanks for the heads up, Matt).  Don't waste your prayers on us.  Our family will be fine. We live in a sturdy home.  Please pray for the people of Haiti who will ride this storm out in a tent or worse...a structure made of a few sticks and some bed sheets.

Moses

 Paige and Moses

From Tara's blog...

"A little boy, probably two or three years old was left outside of the Maternity Center in the road. His mother had asked one of the gate guys if there was an orphanage around. The gate guy told her we were not an orphanage.  Later that morning he was found lying in the dirt on the side of the street. He cannot sit or stand or hold his head up for very long. We're not giving you a certain diagnosis, but he appears to fall under the umbrella of "cerebral palsy". He is not undernourished and it appears he has been very well cared for to this point. Because he was abandoned without explanation his name is unknown. We're calling him Moses. Oddly, when Paige asked what I thought we should call him I said "Moses",  later when Paige got over the Maternity Center she learned that Cherline, a valued Haitian staff member, had decided his name should be ......  Moses. We need to figure out what is next for sweet Moses. A report is being filed with the police today and John will be in contact with Haitian Social Services as we look for long term care for him. In the meantime the gate guy that talked to the mom will be searching our area and hoping someone knows something about her whereabouts. Until then Paige asked if she could care for Moses. Paige is quite tender and gifted at loving in these situations. They had a good night last night, he is doing well."

Our family recently took a turn caring for Moses.  It was good, exhausting, sad, and sweet.  How can that be? During the time he was here, I was overwhelmed at different points with a lot of emotion.  I thought about his family.  Someone took care of this child for years before he was left outside the maternity center.  It would be easy to judge her and think "How could she leave her child in the road?"  If you have ever lived in Haiti, that thought does not cross your mind.  Instead, I sat holding Moses all day marveling that a Haitian mother, or grandmother...someone was able to do this for so long without all the resources we, as wealthy white people, have at our disposal.  It took our entire family yesterday to keep Moses happy and meet his needs.  Our boys talked to him.  We took turns riding him around in the driveway in the stroller.  We held him most the day, even though we were soaked in sweat, and so was Moses.  It's truly miraculous what Moses' mother (or someone) did for this child.  They took such good care of Moses that he pretty much demands to be held at all times.  Although exhausting (since he weighs a lot and is very long) it speaks highly of how well taken care of he was before showing up on our radars.  Haitian women will never cease to amaze me.  Some woman loved this child with a love that is not of this world.  A selfless love.  She is a hero in my mind, and I keep selfishly praying that we get to meet her one day, hug her, and tell her that her love for her son or grandson has taught us all a kingdom-sized lesson.

At different times while Moses was here, our kids would say, "Why can't we keep him?  I don't want him to go away."  Kids.  They are so terrific..and awful at the same time.  When they would ask this question...so sincerely...it made me think of something Sarah wrote in her posts.

"...I think Jesus tells us to love our neighbors, not just for our neighbors sakes, but for our own as well, because he knows what happens inside our hearts when we let in those who are vulnerable, needy and even repulsive near us. WE become vulnerable, needy and dare I say it, even repulsive too. Our own motives and shortcomings and entitlement and laziness come to the surface and stare us in the face. And that IS uncomfortable."


It is uncomfortable to hold a helpless child while your own children are begging to "keep him" and have to tell them, "We can't.  I just can't do this. I'm sorry"  knowing full well that I could do this.  A Haitian mother did this for years.  Who am I to say, with my wallet full of money and vast community, that I could not do this.  The honest ugly truth is I don't want to do this.  I can't tell you how hard it is to hold a child, knowing there are no truly awesome options for him, and come face to face with your own selfishness.  Fun times. I think I liked it better when the depth of my own depravity was a mystery to me.  Seeing how truly depraved we are and knowing Jesus loves us in the midst of it makes grace all the richer.  I get that.  I'm thankful.  It's still hard and uncomfortable.


Please pray that a good, loving, place is found for Moses.  Please pray for the Livesays as they serve and love him in the mean time.  Caring for Moses is hard.  He requires constant care.  Please pray that God encourages and strengthens the Livesays.  Please pray for Moses' family.  You can't take care of a child this long and not be grieving.  Aaron prayed last night that we would get to meet them, that they would be able to know where Moses is, and maybe even stay connected to him in some way.

To keep up with what is going on with Moses, you can read Tara's blog. 

Adeline

 Winnie (our fabulous nurse) on the left
Adeline on the right.

Beth just texted to say that Adeline is in labor.  Please pray for a healthy, stress-free birth.  I'm heading up there as soon as Aaron gets home to see if I can be of any help.

5 comments:

Ruth said...

You are so right. Haitian women are truly amazing.

Marla Taviano said...

Praying for Adeline. For Moses. For Becky. For all of you. For my own selfish heart.

I like it when you give us specific ways to pray. Thank you!

Beth said...

I don't know if y'all have already checked with Gertrude at Notre Maison about Moses, but she may be able to take him. Unfortunately I can't find her number at the moment, but if you want to call Paul (‎4618-5365), I'm pretty sure he has it.
Praying for y'all, and for sweet Moses.

Flower Patch Farmgirl said...

My computer has been raised from the dead for the briefest of moments, I'm sure, but long enough for me to visit with you here. Oh, Moses.

And this, I love: I think I liked it better when the depth of my own depravity was a mystery to me.

Uh, yeah. I'll second that.

Grace said...

Thank you (again) for your transparency. My heart is full for Moses - I'll be praying for him. For you. For your community. For Haiti.