Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Sweet Victory!


Nine days after birth, we finally got baby Kathryn to the breast today.  This was a huge victory!  It only took medications (Reglan), a Medela double breast pump, Adeline searching for electricity so she could pump several times a day, her working to keep the pump and bottles sterile, formula to use while the breastmilk was increasing, sterile syringes to feed the baby formula as Adeline's milk increased, constant love and encouragement, and breast shields brought in from the United States (take a look at that baby, Gwen...we could not have done this without those shields.)

I stood clapping and doing a little shake-what-my-momma-made-me dance next to Adeline as we finally got this frantic child to the breast...skin to skin...sucking..finally...sucking and here's what I thought..

There is no flippin' way this mom would be sitting here successfully breastfeeding if this tiny little maternity center staffed with people who feel like total dummies were not here in this neighborhood.

Which then made me feel overcome with gratitude that so many of you give and pray.  You support this work.  You support our family.  You love our moms.  You love these babies.  You give these women access to correct information, life-saving knowledge, the gospel, breast shields, crazy white ladies who cheer them on, formula when we need it, and high-powered, fancy, rich-girl breast pumps.

You give these oppressed ladies and helpless babies justice.  Once I saw that baby finally sucking...mom smiling...I could not help but clap.  Yes.  Justice.  Hope.  A fighting chance.  A future.  I got to see a piece of the Kingdom of God today.  It's beautiful by the way. 

Thank you.

Today with Adeline was one of the sweetest victories.  She worked so hard for this!  Score!  I kept saying, "This is so good, Adeline.  So good!"  She said, "Because people have prayed."  Yes.  I told her there were so many people praying.  She smiled.  Adeline's smile.  It melts me.

Breastfeeding is a life or death issue in Haiti.  Stay tuned for pictures of baby Kathryn as she gets bigger and bigger.  We are crazy proud that Heartline grows Fatty Mcbutter Pants babies.

20 comments:

Faith said...

This is amazing! So happy for Adeline and her sweet baby. I have just started reading your blog, and I am in awe. I grew up as an MK and hope to return to working overseas. Praying, praying, and waiting for God's lead! I love reading your blog, it makes me excited for all God is doing in this broken world!

Elizabeth said...

This is so wonderful! Attitudes towards breastfeeding are so different in the US, but it really is a life or death issue in many parts of the world. I'm so happy for Adeline and her sweet baby!

Susan, wife of 1, mother of 4 said...

YEAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!!!! I'm so glad that you (and mom, baby, Heartline) got to experience victory!

Flower Patch Farmgirl said...

clap clap clap clap clap clap clap clap clap clap clap clap clap clap

I'm with you.

bye.

Marla Taviano said...

Thank you, thank you, thank you, Jesus!!!! I looooooove this!!! So happy for all of you! So excited to see Chubbo Lard Baby Girl thrive!! Woooohoooooo!!!!!! Praise you, Jesus!!!

Melda said...

Happy for everyone

Thankful to Abba Daddy

too overwhelmed to clap

I'll take my turn with the ugly cry.

Love you!

Life With the Crazies said...

I've been praying and am so so happy!!! This is wonderful!

BTW... my favorite pet of ALL time, was our dearly departed dog... Phatty McButterpants. love it.

Amanda said...

We prayed, she trusted, He is faithful. Thank you Heavenly Father for the blessing of nourishment for this child.

beth lehman said...

halleluja!! i love hearing that - amazing that Adeline worked so hard. it was "hard" for me when I expected nursing to be so easy.... but not like this!

mandi said...

WOO-HOO!!!! Such good news to start the day!

Anonymous said...

Praise the Lord! I am a child of God who happens to be a 66 year old
GrandDad. We prayed hard for Adeline and her baby. Goosebumps covered my body when I saw the picture and read the report. Thank you Heartline.

Tammy said...

I am so thankful to read this this morning. I have been praying for this strong and courageous mother and her little baby girl. Obviously, I have all the conveniences and luxuries of living in the states. And yet at the same time, I felt like I could pray more specifically and with more knowledge because of the great trouble we had to get our little girl to nurse when she was born last September. I had plenty of milk, but the poor child couldn't get her latch and suck going and her poor mother was fumbling around with such ignorance -- she is our first child. Without going into boring details, I could remember what a tremendously rough road we had on our journey to nursing. And of course that was still always with the conveniences of the states and knowing we could make a way to afford formula if necessary.

On Sunday, our pastor used the text when the israelites came up on canaan and sent in spies to see and check out the land and its people. They saw that it was indeed a land flowing with milk and honey. I was thankful for that reminder and prayed that Adeline's body would flow with milk in the same way.

Praise God for his faithfulness and provision and for these trials that build our faith and allow him the opportunity to rescue us and demonstrate his love.

Thank you for sharing and inviting us in to the victory of prayer.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing this, Heather. The gals in my Life-group have been praying for Adeline and Kathryn. What a wonderful answer to prayer. Our God is powerful and He "redeems us for the sake of His steadfast love". Wanda in Nebraska

Danielle Johnson said...

Ok, this officially wrecked my heart today. I love that Adeline has fought for her baby, this is huge! That girl will KNOW that her momma loved her from the get-go. It is so good to see God cause hearts of mommas to love their babies!

Molly said...

I remember seeing in a Life today video with Beth Moore, she said, 'Blessed are you if what takes natural course with someone else means that a miracle has to take a place with you, you've just seen something that people around you will never even get.'

It reminds me of Adeline. A miracle needed to take place, but BLESSED is she!

Diana said...

Praise God!

keight dukes said...

i'm bursting!

Alice Sanderson said...

This made my day! And it's always good to be reminded that God does indeed answer our prayers!

Christy said...

YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY!!!! I have been praying for Adeline and her sweet baby girl around the clock as I nurse my 2-week-old. It is such an honor to be able to take part in the work you are doing there, via prayer. God is SO good. thank you for the update!!!

Shanna said...

What exactly is the mothers problem with nursing? Is the baby having difficulty latching on, or is it strictly a low milk supply thing? I have 4 children and have had problems with every one nursing and finally was able to nurse the last baby after trying many things over the years. I would love to try to offer some help. praying for mama, baby, and you caretakers!