Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Men in My Life

 post by Aaron

Fixing cars.
Hanging ceiling fans.
Building furniture.
Painting.
Wiring.
Plumbing.

For the past 2 weeks I've been busy working on the house where we'll be living for the next few months. I've also been working on the building where our kids will go to school and on the apartment where their teachers will live. Plus there's been some truck repairs thrown in as well.

Between now and the beginning of September we're really trying to get settled in our house and get everything together for the kids to start school. Of course we'll be involved with the work at Heartline as well, but we won't be able to devote ourselves to them full-time until the beginning of September. At that point Heather will be working with Haitian Creations and the other women's programs. I will be working with a group of men and trying to develop some discipleship and training programs.

We're not completely sure what the men's programs will look like. There's still lots of prayers, planning, and conversations that need to happen first. As I've worked for the last two weeks I have been reminded of just how blessed I have been to learn from some amazing men who took time to teach me.

As I hung ceiling fans I thought about how Andy Garner showed me how to wire and hang several fans in our old green house in Bryan.

As I built bookshelves I thought about the time I spent working as a carpenter with James Biddle and Melvin Batson.

Of course, I have my father to thank for a million other little skills I've picked up like welding, playing the guitar, and fixing cars.

There are plenty of other men who have invested in me and have taken the time to share their skills with me. Gary Shell who first showed me how to edit videos. Randall Karber & Clay Young who let me work with them and taught me to make and repair jewelry. Jason Kramer who let me ask him a million farming questions in hopes that I can use that knowledge to improve some of the agricultural-related projects that Heartline has.

I'm not sure exactly what the men's programs will end up looking like, but I certainly hope that, in some ways, I can pour into a group of men and share with them some of what has been shared with me. The men in my life took time to train me, and it's interesting to think that the skills they gave me, that piece of themselves lives on and in some ways is here now in Haiti.  Their gift of time and training has traveled with me and been something that is now a part of who I am.  It's an honor to be able to be a small part of passing on talents, knowledge, and information to the men in my life (including the four little men that call me Dad). If we can talk about Jesus at the same time ... well, that sounds a lot like men's discipleship to me.

"What you have heard from me ... entrust to faithful men who will be able to teach others also." 2 Timothy 2:2


4 comments:

kae1crafts said...

Aaron,

You are giving a gift beyond measure as you share your 'handiman' talents with those around you. Skills are such a valuable tool as you are trying to make your way in the world and improve the world around you.

Hugs, love and prayers that the program develops to bless all you touch.

Kae

Zoanna said...

I think you're onto what Jesus calls discipleship. Sure there is plenty of need for focused Bible study and prayer without distracting work, but there's no need to segregate biblical teaching from hands-on work, either, or having men hang out to observe how a Christian man serves his wife and kids by doing things like fixing what's broken and building what needs building or feeding people who are hungry. You have such a wide variety of skills; I'm sure you were given them to pass along. People feel really cared for when others take time to teach them , not just do for them .

Majid Ali said...

Please for Christ sake help this poor boy from Haiti

D.O. said...

You'll kill it. I have no doubt. Love.