Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Chuy's Creamy Jalepeno Dip

This is my take on Chuy's creamy jalapeno dip.  I'm pretty sure this substance comes straight from the throne room of heaven.  There are many versions of this recipe out there on the interwebz, but I was bound and determined to learn how to make it without adding a ranch packet.  I could blame wanting to learn to make this glorious dip minus the ranch packet on the fact that I live in Haiti and ranch packets are kind of hard to come by.  That would make things easier, but it would also be a total lie.  The real reason I don't want to use a ranch packet is because I have a packet phobia.  I am completely convinced cancer comes in anything prepackaged, especially if it's powdery. There you have it.  Your daily dose of psychotic.

If you have this same recipe with the ranch packet, feel free to include it in the comments section.  Others might want to try it.  I live in Haiti with things like malaria, cholera, laughable healthcare, political riots, and earthquakes but I'm terrified of chili packets?  I'm completely aware that this is bizarre behavior.

1 cup sour cream
3/4 cup mayonnaise
2 tsp. dried parsley
2 tsp. garlic granules
2 tsp. dill
2.5 tsp. onion powder or granules
2.5 tsp salt
1 tsp pepper
1 cup milk
2 jalapenos with seeds
2 jalapenos without seeds
1 lime
1 tsp. vinegar
1 bunch of cilantro

Put all of that in a blender.  Blend until liquidy.  Let sit in the refrigerator for 30 minutes or an hour.  It will thicken in the frig.

Haiti Version:

1 cup sour cream
3/4 cup mayonnaise
2 tsp. dried parsley
2 tsp. garlic granules
2 tsp. dill
2.5 tsp. onion powder or granules
2.5 tsp salt
1 tsp pepper
1 cup milk
3 tablespoons jarred jalapenos and 2 Tbsp. of the juice from the jar
1 lime (or 2 citron)
1 cup of dried cilantro (I order mine from Frontier and bring it in with me)

Eat with tortilla chips.  My favorite thing to do with this dip...fish tacos.  Grill or fry fish.  On a corn tortilla (or flour) layer fish, shredded red cabbage, cilantro, fresh squeezed lime and a generous spoonful of creamy jalapeno.  Delish!

12 comments:

keight dukes said...

where is the PSA about not accidentally fondling the sun? still the most hilarious thing i've ever found in prose, btw. it has upped my usage of the word "fondle" by a quotient of 7. i once dated a boy from the southwest and chuy's was the best thing he left me with. droolski

Jessica said...

Mmm thanks for sharing! When we moved from Texas we missed Chuys but now there are 2 in our state [KY]!

Flower Patch Farmgirl said...

I'm just glad you didn't break up with me when I sent you a plastic tub of Italian dressing mix...

keight dukes said...

p.s. can you add a pic so i can pin you?

mandi said...

mmm...chuys. John gets to go today for lunch. Not cool. Not cool.

Sidenote: When John and I started dating (when I was 15), we would eat at the downtown Houston Chuy's all of the time. I have the sweetest photo booth shots of us. We are babies! After Dylin was born, we waited about a month and then headed to Chuy's to get her in on the action. It's our tradition!

Mrs. H. said...

Heather, I feel the same way about packaged and processed foods and try to cook from "real" ingredients most of the time. I use to never use ranch packets before and didn't make the chuy's dip at home because I thought all ranch had MSG in it and 2 out of 4 of my family members get really sick if they eat something with MSG. I would just eat the dip when my friend made it because I can't make something at home knowing half my family can't eat it! Then I discovered that McCormick seasonings don't have MSG, including gravy and ranch mixes. I've been making it a lot since I found that out! I'm so glad to have your recipe, too, for when I don't have the seasoning packet in the pantry. Here's the recipe we use - http://heritageschoolhouse.blogspot.com/2011/08/this-stuff-is-good.html

Lindsey said...

Heather, I think you just made Andy's year.

keight dukes said...

Third comment in one post...stalker! This is thickening in the friggin' frig right now ;) i follow you blindly. my husband did the peppers and I didn't give him the PSA so he fondled the sun. That will be the end of today's fondling for him.

keight dukes said...

are you so close to blocking me? ok so i made the top USA whitey version and after 2 hours in the fridge it was still like watery salad dressing. dont get me wrong, i pretty much ladled it into my mouth still , but it was not thickening (maybe i over-blended and went beyond liquidy?) i fixed it by adding a handful of shredded cheese and a softened package of cream cheese (reblended it all) and then put it in the oven at 350 for 30 minutes. it is now worthy of the throne room. THANK YOU! please dont block me.

Hendrick Family said...

Oh no, Keight! I wonder if it matters what kind of milk. I was using whole. Ours thickens in the frig. Dang. Back to the drawing board!!

I'm thinking we should all try Laurie's. She is a fabulous cook.

Heather

keight dukes said...

yeah so i am guessing this isnt paleo friendly. but here i am nonetheless...still talking about it. and because jesus wanted to show me his love for me, i found myself in tennessee last weekend and on the way to brunch i spotted the promised land: CHUY'S!!! so i had a pre-pancake appetizer of the REAL DEAL dip! what are the odds? first: theirs is actually pretty runny too, so theres that. second: sweet, sweet jezebel's carcass, you did not exaggerate about this stuff. i may have later pooped magma, but that didnt stop me from sweeping the bowl with my finger (simultaneously realizing that i had recently applied copious amounts of diaper rash cream to my sons rectal area and hadnt WASHED MY HANDS SINCE!) when i went back to finish off the batch. i will be purchasing the gallon size next time.

Hendrick Family said...

Pooped magma! Yes! Made my day.