Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Many are the Plans in a Man's Heart

  post from Aaron...

Our plans often have a way of being interrupted and changed. The last few years seem like one major change after another. Our family has changed. Our jobs have changed. Even our country of residence has changed.

So it comes as no surprise that our plans for when we're returning to Haiti have changed as well. Our summer in American just got shorter. In less than 3 weeks we will all be back in Port-au-Prince.

Soon everything will change again. Our showers will get colder. The roads will get rougher. Our ability to drink good, whole milk and eat Blue Bell ice cream will be severely hindered.

How we spend our time will change.

Heather will return to working with the women at Heartline. The kids will start school in a new setting. I will begin figuring out what it looks like to train and disciple a group of Haitian young men while simultaneously trying to make sure that our house has enough electricity to keep our fans on at night so that my wife doesn't divorce me or smother me in my sleep.

Everything changes.

And in the spirit of change, I guess it's time to pull the plug on Mosaic Village.

The idea originally was to use that site to connect people in the U.S. with needs in Haiti. And in some ways we still want to do that. But we will do that primarily within the context of the needs we encounter through working with Heartline Ministries.  Having two websites is too confusing.

I mean, come on … our life is confusing enough as it is.

So I – Aaron – will start writing here occasionally… on Heather's blog. After all, if I have something important to say, it's way more likely to be read here than it is on the other site.

I have no doubt that Heather will still write most of what is on this blog, but I have every intention of posting on a semi-regular basis to keep everyone up to date on what's happening on the men's side of Heartline.

Mosaic Village. It seemed like a good plan at the time. But I guess it's like Proverbs 19:21 says:
Many are the plans in a person’s heart, 
but it is the LORD’s purpose that prevails.”

Now about this tattoo on my arm ... 

7 comments:

5 Chicks and a Farmer said...

You forgot the (((RAW))) whole milk part. ha!

for reals! you will look back at the "Mosaic" tattoo and know that it was all Him who fashioned the pieces in your life to make one big beautiful picture that brings glory to His name.

Love you guys. Tremendously.

Anonymous said...

I think the fact that you chose this word is a great example of God's sense of humor. He takes our lofty ideas and fashions them for His purpose. I am an artist who sometimes creates mosaics. I take great pains to find exactly the right piece as I create the big picture. I know when I select one that isn't quite right. I'm not satisfied until I get it right. It may not be perfect, but it's beautiful and serves a purpose.

You are a key piece in this mosaic of life, Aaron. That tattoo will remind you that no matter the name of the effort, your position is important and necessary to complete a picture...one that God is painting.

Sandy

College Essays said...

It was a dynamite blog.I am really amazed. Today I spent a lot of my spare time trying to find something interesting... lovely tattoo..

Pamela Nees said...

Mosaic.

Still the word represents all of the people in the world. And how we are all so different, yet so the same.

So...it's still a great representation of what God sees-and what you see.

mosaicvillage said...

Yeah ... I'm really not upset about the tattoo. I said all along that it was a reminder that I was a small part of a bigger picture.

An actual piece of a mosaic is called a "tessera" and I had thought about that as the tattoo. But I was afraid people would think it said "Teressa" and then wonder why I had some woman's name on my arm instead of my wife's name.

So "mosaic" it is.

Aaron

Our Beautiful Life said...

Nice to read your words and really appreciate your tattoo. We never know what the good Lord has in plans for us, huh?! And who knows what lies ahead for your Mosaic?

Tamara B said...

love the picture and the tesserra story