Friday, July 29, 2011

Batik Boutique

We're truckin' right along here on our search for socially responsible shopping options. Are you book-marking these companies?  Wouldn't it be the coolest to buy all our Christmas gifts from companies doing so much good?  Wouldn't Christmas feel a lot more rich as we follow in Jesus' footsteps...helping to set the captive free as part of the way we celebrate the birth of the ultimate liberator?

The next company I'd love to share with you is the Batik Boutique.  Although the company is new, I've known the owners for a long time.  Take a look at what they are doing in Asia to provide women some hope and a chance.


Noor was sitting on the floor in the government-sponsored apartment with her youngest child playing in her lap. Her husband makes just over $1 an hour, and in a city like Kuala Lumpur that’s not enough to make ends meet. She wants to do something to help them have enough food each month, but her optionsare limited because she takes care of their six young children. While she sat contemplating her situation, her sister-in-law knocked on the door.


Noor invited her into her apartment and then heard how The Batik Boutique is hiring seamstresses. Even though she taught herself to sew before she was married, Noor only had only made clothes. She called Amy anyway and within a few days she was trained and able to begin making some of the batik products. Over the next few weeks, she learned to make new products and worked while her children slept. Through orders we receive from our website, Noor provides enough supplemental income to have enough rice on the table and to pay her children’s school fees and supplies.


Not only is this business helping Noor with her physical needs, but it also gives her a chance to see how a business can be run following the principles of the Bible. This includes fair pay, treating people with love and respect, and helping the needy with such things as employment and donations from the company’s profit. Such a view into the lives of those who follow Jesus is rare for a Muslim like Noor.

The Batik Boutique is a new company offering women’s accessory and children’s products made from batik fabrics of Southeast Asia.

___________________________________________________

{{Batik Boutique Give-Away!}}

The Batik Boutique is graciously giving away one of their bags.  You can have up to four chances to win.  You can have one entry for each of the following:
  
1.  Comment and let us know what your favorite item is from the Batik Boutique.
2.  "Like" Batik Boutique on facebook.
3.  Mention what Batik Boutique is doing for women in Asia and provide a link to their website in a facebook status.
4.  Tweet about the Batik Boutique.

We'll have a drawing next Friday!

53 comments:

Molly Bierens said...

What a neat company! My favorite item they have is the crayon roll, what a great idea!

mrsrachel said...

Am I allowed to like all their products? They look great! I think I like the over the shoulder bag best, though! Thanks!

Joy: said...

Love the Journey to Johor purse. So cute, would make a great gift!

Fiveboys said...

I absolutely LOVE the over-the-shoulder bag! SO cute!

Tricia said...

I love the baby slings!

marilyn said...

I liked them on facebook, Love the diaper bags-thinking about getting one for a friend who is having a baby in December and posted on my blog http://northhillsquilter.blogspot.com

Ashley said...

1. I like their ring slings the best! I'm a baby carrier, and I don't have a ring sling!

2. I liked their facebook page.

3. I posted about them on my facebook wall.

4. I wrote about them on my blog (posting 7/30/11) - I know that's not a "choice", but I think they're great, so I wanted to let my readers know...and I don't have twitter. ;0)

Ryan and Carly said...

Love the place mats and napkins! Such a neat company following a Biblical model.

Samantha said...

This is so awesome! I liked them on facebook and encouraged others to check them out, as well! I love the over the shoulder bags! The Tanjung Bunga is my favorite pattern!

Sky said...

I love the over-the-shoulder bag in Istana Budaya. Will also have to check out the diaper bag and baby sling whenever I get pregnant!

Sky said...

I also tweeted about it :-)

Kari said...

i can't decide between the over the shoulder bag and the crayon roll! everything looks great! if forced to choose i guess it would be the bag.

Sarah R. said...

love the placemats and napkins. i have been wanting to buy more but since we have been trying to be more conscious in our purchases i just haven't yet. these are beautiful!

i also linked on facebook! we bought all our christmas gifts from fair-trade or local companies last year. i am encouraging my friends to do the same this year!

Sarah R. said...

oops. forgot to mention i liked the facebook page too. :-)

Jenni said...

My favorite product is the crayon roll, what a neat idea!

Jenni said...

I liked them on facebook as well:)

Sarah D. said...

I like the sling... or maybe the diaper bag.

Pamela Nees said...

Oh how wonderful about Noor!
And I love the quilted shoulder bag~what great products!

Robin said...

I like the over the shoulder bag best. Look perfect size to take a few diaper bag essentials and my purse essentials on a day trip.

SarahBeth said...

I love hearing about all these wonderful companies! My favorite is the quilted shoulder purse.
I totally agree your idea of buying Christmas gifts from companies like this! In fact, I wanted to share an idea I had last year (and will continue to update this year) along those same ideas. I call it "Christmas for a Cause" and I created a facebook page to encourage others to join in the cause.
https://www.facebook.com/emilywilliamssmith/posts/10150718181825487?ref=notif&notif_t=feed_comment_reply#!/pages/Christmas-for-a-Cause-Challenge/124428270948638
My idea is that if we are spending so much money buying gifts at Christmas why not spend that money where it goes to something worthwhile? My husband and I challenged ourselves last year to only buy Christmas gifts that supported a cause that we wanted to support. It was amazing how much we found. I created the facebook page so that other people could all share links to pages and causes that they had found. It was a wonderful way to encourage one another and to share ideas. Feel free to check it out! And if you'd like to share it please do. The more people we get sharing ideas and joining the challenge the better. Just think if we ALL spent all our Christmas money this way what a difference it would make! Thanks for sharing.

Toaster4JC said...

I love the Love from Langkawi diaper bag. I have a little one on the way in January! What an awesome ministry they have!

Toaster4JC said...

I tweeted about the giveaway!

The Fire Wife said...

The napkins are dear. I'm in with the Christmas suggestion. This is going to be great!

The Fire Wife said...

Oh, and I tweeted.

Me and E said...

My favorite is the over the shoulder bag- Great gift idea. I like the Journey to Johor fabric, so cute! Also, I liked on facebook :)

greenishmonkeys said...

All the items look neat, but I have been looking for new cloth napkins/ placemats and I love the red/purple ones they have on the website.

greenishmonkeys said...

like on FB

Jordana said...

I am LOVING that crayon roll....what a great idea for the "restaurant" bag (our bag that we take to a restaurant — diaper, LOTS of wipes, coloring books and NOW....a crayon roll! :)

Thanks for the lead!

William and Lucy said...

What a cool company! I love the Istana Budaya over-the-shoulder bag! I also liked them on FB and posted a link on my FB page describing their work in SE Asia. I know it's not an entry option, but I also wrote about them on my blog at http://northfamilymovingco.blogspot.com

Rachel said...

I really like the quilted diaper bag! I've never actually had a real diaper bag since the Heartline bags and the bag my sister made me are big enough for all our stuff :)

The Goods said...

I love the crayola roll!!

Daughter of the King said...

The over the shoulder bag is definitely my favorite. My mom calls me the bag lady and I will definitely be asking for this one for Christmas...if I can wait that long! lol

mandy said...

1. CRAYON ROLL!!! = awesome.

2. liked!

3. status-ed

4. tweeted...

Singing Pilgrim said...

My favorite item is the over shoulder bag, though the baby slings are also awesome (but I don't have a baby). I adore the shoulder bags though. I even like all the patterns.

I've liked them on facebook.

I've done a status. :)

Michelle said...

I love the shoulder bag! I would love to own one of these!

Michelle said...

I also 'liked' them on FB...:)

Ashley Burrows said...

I love them all, but my fav is the diaper bag- very cute! What a great company!

ChrisandLogue said...

I really like the quilted baby bag! Looks like a perfect baby bag from a great company supporting a good cause!

Christy

ChrisandLogue said...

just "liked" their facebook page as well! Thanks for letting us know about this company!

Christy

PS...LOVE your blog by the way! (My husband and I knew the Bacaks back in our college days and found your blog through theirs) Yall are doing great things for HIS kingdom!

Tiffany said...

It's a toss-up between the crayon roll and the diaper bag! Both are super cute!!! Thanks for sharing these companies with us. :)

Rebecca said...

I have liked the page, posted about them on FB, and I'm loving the aprons! I think my girls (currently aged 1 and 4) might get matching aprons for Christmas this year...they're adorable!!

Melissa Dunn said...

I liked them on facebook. My favorite product is a toss up between the crayon roll and the over the shoulder back. Thanks for sharing about this great company. Oh, and I also shared in my status. Thanks!

Brittany said...

I love the over the shoulder bag. What an awesome company. I love the life changing opportunities that are happening! Thanks for sharing!

Rumo Mom said...

Love their products! Thanks for taking the time to hook all us out here in cyber world up with these amazing companies doing wonderful things!!!

Cheryl said...

Love the purses! So adorable!

I also liked them on FB

Caron said...

I like that Over-the-Shoulder Bag - Love from Langkawi. So pretty and useful.

Rachel said...

Love the slings and the crayon roll! Beautiful products. Thanks for spreading the word!

Tamie said...

I love the over the shoulder bag. It looks so much like my middle daughter- whose birthday is today. What a great organization.

Tamie said...

I liked them on Facebook.

Chrissy said...

my favorite is the baby sling. :) Pick me!

Angela W. said...

So hard to choose a favorite - they are all beautiful! I like the over the shoulder bag a lot.

Angela W. said...

I like Batik Boutique on facebook.

Ingrid said...

I love the lake kenyir quilted shoulder purse! What an amazing company- thanks for sharing!!

lifewithjding@ gmail (dot) com