Tuesday, May 24, 2011

There's a Frog in My Tennis Shoe


Believe me.  Oh please.  Believe me.  This is never what you want to see when you walk into your kitchen.

Two boys.  Faces on the floor.  Trying to dig something out from under the cabinets.

Hayden begins to explain.  "I brought my shoes in from the front porch to put them on.  I put my foot inside and felt something in there.  So I reached in to grab it."

Let's pause.  What the heck is wrong with him?  Just that part of his story made me cringe.

"There was something alive in my shoe.  I grabbed its head."

Again.  What?  Who does that?

"I thought it was a rat."

At this point in his story I am not breathing.  Especially since he is still standing there...holding his shoe...in the kitchen...noticeably amused by what just happened to him.


"I grabbed its head and it started shaking.  So I pulled it out.  It wasn't a rat, mom.  It was a frog."

Whew.  I was relieved.  I hate frogs, but in the hierarchy of things I hate, rats are above frogs.  I was thankful Hayden had not grabbed a rat's head, or I would have had to cut his hand off.  I was thankful and relieved until I remembered that the boys were on the floor looking under the cabinets trying to fish something out of there.  This scene happened before I had consumed coffee.  I was slow.  And weak.  The boys had a major advantage over me.

Hayden continued..."The frog jumped out of my shoe and went under the cabinets.

What?  No!

It's still there.  Barf.  I have no idea how we remove it.  Wait it out?  Will it come out at night?  Yuck.

In other kid news, there was this moment yesterday when I looked at all the little bodies around me and thought..."Wow.  Total wardrobe anarchy is going on around here."  This is what happens when kids wake up with the sun, throw clothes on, and go sit on the front porch waiting for their cousins to come out of the house across the driveway.  I don't want to be that mom who micromanages her kids to death, but I took a good look at the kids yesterday and announced that this was the last day for them to look like trash.  "For goodness sake...at least turn the light on in the closet when you're picking your clothes."


Hayden put a side pony on his sock because he couldn't find two socks that matched.  He opted for one regular sock and one of Big Foot's socks.  Asking his mother for assistance would have delayed his early morning exit.  He had worn his sock like this all day.  I only noticed in the evening when we were going for a walk.

 Normally Lynsey has her girls looking cute every moment of the day.  This is Laney Rae's new summer look.  She is one of the first cousins to come barreling out of the house next door to meet her cousins in the driveway.  What's a mom to do?  The kids run away from home as soon as it's light outside.  They are too excited and busy to be bothered with pony tails and pants...

Whenever the mood hits him, Hudson takes off his shorts.  I've found them in the garden.  Near the pigs.  It's summer.  The time of year when pants are optional, I guess.

Hayden with his side-pony socks and various shades of blue clothing playing "airport" in the garden with giant spinach leaves.


 Your plane is now safely landed.  You're welcome.
Having just flown, I'm thinking American Airlines will soon stoop to this.


Thanks for your sweet, encouraging words yesterday.  Every day is getting a little easier.

6 comments:

Falyn & Joyanne said...

I needed to smile. I laughed actually. After reading your post yesterday and then today and knowing what God uses in my own life to soothe my soul. This day, these moments are healing...pantless, toady, side pony-tailed socked, make believe, giddy healing. Praying for you all, and Haiti. The Haiti miles away and the one in your heart.

Joy: said...

Oh girl, I have laughed so hard at this one. The side ponytail really set me over the edge- into tears.

Sara said...

Oh, how I love this post. I literally read this one outloud to my husband through tears and laughs. Pantless Hudson...maybe he's taking a cue from naked man? Did you ever catch the frog? The side pony...sigh.

Claire said...

Can I move in? Pure joy!

Zoanna said...

I didn't see Hayden's lower hand in the spinach picture at first. I glanced and thought "Statue of Liberty. He HAS missed the States!"

Hilarious post. I have almost started breathing again after the rat talk.

Megan @ Faith Like Mustard said...

This post made me laugh so much, remembering my life growing up as a country girl. Fashion was definitely not the highest priority when we could be running around outside. I've also had more than my fair share of frogs in my shoes (never rats, though!).