Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Lizards


Our boys have always been critter catchers.  Lizards.  Snakes.  Frogs.  I will forever remember our guys running towards all sorts of varieties of wildlife that I think sane people should run away from.

Our kids have chased lizards all over this campus where we live.  It's an everyday, after school activity.  Nine months of hunting and they never tire from the adventure.  I'm pretty sure they have caught and released every small and medium sized lizard that lives within our walls.  But they were not satisfied.  Oh no.  How could they be satisfied when GIANT lizards roam this place?  Fast, giant lizards.

To catch one they would need a net.  The problem:  they don't have one, and I have no idea where to get them one.

This long, Easter weekend was the perfect time for our Daddy to do that thing that Daddys do.  Make a net and make some magic for little boys.


We didn't have a real net, but we did have holey mosquito nets (worthless) and a holey bed tent for Hudson (also worthless).  Aaron got to work.



Watch out lizards!!

Perhaps this is really a skink.  I don't know.  I have never studied up on reptiles.  I hate them.
These giant, make-my-skin-crawl, what-ever-they're-calleds did not know what hit them.
The boys caught four in one day.
The Hendrick boys are self-proclaimed "Wildlife Warriors" so these critters were released two days later.


Although these things sick me out...that moment...when a boy runs around the corner of a house holding their catch...that creature they have hunted and dominated...that is a moment of pure joy.  Their eyes...wide.  Hearts racing.  Pride and excitement painted all over their faces.  I hate lizards, but I love a boy and his newly-caught beast.

5 comments:

Karen said...

Yuck! I am spending a week in PAP this summer. If I see one of these or a rat, it will not be pretty. Ewww!!!!

Marla Taviano said...

That's awesome. I'm not a huge reptile fan either, but when I was a kid, I used to catch toads and frogs all the time (I know, they're not reptiles). I'd even kiss them to show how "brave" I was. Blech.

Kathie said...

As ugly as they are, you want to 'embrace' them - they eat mosquitoes!

Fiveboys said...

I just stumbled upon your blog and LOVE it. This post made me laugh - I have 5 young boys that would be in their glory if they could catch lizards all day!

deana in Taiwan said...

Oh my boys would be in heaven!! once up at a village here, my middle son proudly proclaimed "look mommy, it loves me, it thinks I am it's mommy".... I looked to see him cradle a lizard and then it running up his back and shoulders....blah!!! but they are happy!! memories!