Friday, February 18, 2011

Aliens for Breakfast (and lunch)


On a normal day, this is what our boys look like as they head to school.
Don't they look "private school?"

But this is no ordinary day.
This is an alien kind of day.

The "Book-it-to-Space Read-a-thon begins at their school today.


All money raised goes to Teach Haiti., an organization run by our friend, Miquette Denie.

Yes.  He's weird.
 

"The goal of TeacHaiti is to provide annual education scholarships to some of Haiti's neediest children who would not otherwise be able to attend school."

"TeacHaiti is a non-profit organization supporting education scholarships for children in Haiti. Miquette Denie is the founder of TeacHaiti. She grew up like millions of other children in Haiti, with little access to clothing, food or healthcare. She writes: "because education has given me the audacity to dream dreams I had never thought possible before, I want to do the same for these brilliant children".

And so TeacHaiti was born."

 The kids at QCS are going to read until their eyes fall out in order to raise money for other kids to go to school in Haiti.


To kick off the big day, the kids were allowed to dress up like aliens or astronauts.


I saw very few astronauts and many more aliens.


If you'd like to sponsor one of our boys, check out yesterday's post. 

At lunch today Anson informed me that it wasn't the best idea to wear a long sleeve shirt to school.  He's hot. I wanted to say, "I told you so" but I didn't.

Ashton said, "Mom.  I'm tired of being an alien.  I don't want to have a green face anymore."  We walked home and washed it.

I wanted to say, "Remember how I said you would start to hate your face after a few hours if your face was all painted?"  But I didn't say that.  I just held that cute little face in my hands and wiped away the alien skin.

So...I'll just say it here...."I told you so."

Ah.  Feels so much better to get that out.  Besides...who of us ever listened to our mothers?  There are just some things that have to be learned on our own, unfortunately.  Being sweaty.  Itchy face.  There.  Lesson learned.


 I keep finding myself daydreaming about how quiet it might be around the house this week.  We'll see.

I'm sure my boys will find a way to make reading noisy.  They are gifted that way.

For those of you who have already sponsored these extraterrestrials...thank you!

6 comments:

The Kramer Family said...

how cute! i was wondering how long ashton would tolerate his green-ness.

those are some of the sweetest aliens i know!

Flower Patch Farmgirl said...

Your boy - the one with the green face - you know the one - well, he looks SO much like you! Uncannyranny.

I wish our boys could be aliens together.

But what would that make us?

bye.

Megan said...

Absolutely adorable!

Bob & Judy said...

Anson, the third eye - cool.

Amber said...

Awesome aliens! My boys were over my shoulder when I was reading this- and they BEGGED me to make them polka dotted and green. Thanks for that:P Looks like fun!

Shannon said...

Oh how cute!