Tuesday, December 21, 2010

You've Got to be Kidding Me

We had a whole list of things we wanted to do as soon as we got to the States.  Hang out with friends/family and eat until our pants got tight were at the top of the list.

Within 12 hours of landing in Texas, the stomach virus hit our house.  My sister-in-law and Anson were violently wiped out. 

Normally, for a family this size we have a very strict protocol when a virus hits the house. That's a nice way of saying that I turn into a lunatic...a mix between a drill Sergent and Monk.  We try our jim-dandyest to contain the wretched stomach bug and contain it, allowing it to claim minimal victims.

Under normal circumstances I'd never want our infected, disgusting family around anyone else's family.  That's cruel.  I'd only wish a stomach virus on someone I didn't care for (like the mean lady on the airplane who sat in front of Ashton).  Even if I couldn't stand someone I don't think I'd wish a stomach virus on an entire family.  I'd fear for my soul.

But what are we to do with a stomach virus among us and only a couple weeks in the States?

A stomach virus would normally put a huge damper on hanging out with friends/family and eating like fatty fat heads.

But not this week.

We're eating anyway.  No matter how nauseous we feel.  Even if we throw our food up.  We're eating all the foods we have missed.  Grapes.  Apples.  Cuties.  Big piles of meat.  Cheese.  Bacon. Organic yogurt.  Milk that requires refrigeration. Fajitas.  And more bacon.

So far out of the 12 of us (5 Kramers, 6 Hendricks, 1 aunt) five have had stomach issues.

But instead of quarantining the sick-o's we're hanging out and trying to enjoy each other as we wait with expectation for who will drop next. The watching and waiting part sort of goes with our advent theme.

Even though we feel gross and look a little green we still managed to...


fly kites with G-paw




eat apples


Hayden ate an apple so passionately he lost a tooth.


hang out by the fire


And when I say "by the fire" I mean far away from it.  It's not even cold here today.


sit on each other and kiss the faces of the ones we love (and we don't even hold our breath.)


We ate root beer floats.  Even though we're pretty sure we'd see them again soon.


And I sat with my super sick sister-in-law most of the day and talked and talked and talked.

Take that stomach virus.  Take that.

9 comments:

Jewel said...

Aww I am so sorry you all aren't feeling well. I will keep you in my prayers that you can have s happy and healthy Christmas.

amanda said...

Oh my gosh, I can't believe your luck! Hopefully uou all can enjoy your time (and food) as much as possible :)

Flower Patch Farmgirl said...

Cuties! Big piles of meat ick?)!

Well, good for you for showing it who's boss. I know I sure wouldn't mess with the likes of you..

bye.

The Amusing Redhead said...

I am so sorry you have been struck with "the plague".

I am glad you are home and that you aren't letting it stop you too much.

Merry Christmas!

the amy's said...

I would still throw my arms around you, even knowing what might happen next. I love you guys and I am so glad you are on Texan soil! Oh, and is it just me or did Anson hit a major growth spurt. He looks so tall in that picture!

Stephanie said...

So sorry and hope you are all healed up in hearts, spirits and mind by this fantastic reunion, even if your bellies suffer a bit! Merry Christmas to all of you!!

Bob & Judy said...

Root beer floats - just as good coming up as going down. Yum

faithlikemustard said...

I know how you feel. Our families live far away which leads to a lot of traveling during the holidays which leads to a lot of interrupted sleep and long days in the car which leads to overall crankiness. I am SO looking forward to the next couple of days when we can just CHILL--sleep late, wear pj's all day if we want...whatever! I'm seriously considering grilled cheese sandwhiches for Christmas Day because simple = relaxed!

Tasha Via said...

So glad you get to be with family for a little while! Soak it up:)
Merry Christmas