Friday, October 29, 2010

Friday Photos


Totally gross, all-boy boys + mandatory white uniform tops + no hot water = what the heck?

This sounds like a laundry nightmare if I've ever heard of one.

Every Friday morning we tackle a giant pile of completely filthy, stinky white polos.

I would never attempt such a mission alone.

I'd like to introduce you to a few of the sweetest blessings in my life.

  Dominique and Soso (and family)

The husband (Dominique) works for us sometimes in the evenings.  He's the one that told me not to get too close to naked men.  The wife (Soso) is here with me during the day.  She does not speak English, so that's been a great incentive for me to learn Creole.  Even with the language barrier, I adore her.  Every day we work and laugh together.

One of Soso's many, many talents is helping me make sure our boys have clean uniform shirts for school.  Every Friday morning we start our laundry routine.  I sort the laundry.  Spray and Wash is used in abundance.  Soso starts scrubbing the white polos by hand.  She insists.  After I tried for weeks to get the stains out of the white polos, I finally asked her what I should do.  She yanked that shirt out of my hand and well...she totally schooled me.  Lesson learned.  I will always ask her for advice sooner.




While Soso is in the kitchen scrubbing shirts, I'm down in the laundry room filling washing machines up with a water hose.  I turn on the washing machine, see the tiny trickle of water that is intermittently starting and stopping, and I immediately diagnose the machines with urinary tract infections.  It's the only explanation for that thin sliver of inconsistent water.  It would take forever for me to get all our laundry finished with a flow that low, so I use the trusty hose.  

Wow.  Does this picture make anyone else need to pee?

I spend a lot of time in the laundry room.  Unfortunately so do the resident rats.  I will never get used to that part of my new life.  I'm not complaining...I'm just sayin'.



Me and the hose.  We're great friends.


Back at the house, we boil a giant pot of water.  Add bleach.  Soak shirts for about three hours.   Then we wash them in the washing machine.  Hang those suckuh's on the line in the hot Haiti sun to dry...and wah-lah.

  Perfection


Mama and Soso send the Hendrick boys to school in style.  Those boys promptly gross up their clothes (some days before the whistle blows).  Soso and I sigh and shake our heads when they walk in the house after school with their lunch and half the playground's dirt smashed into their shirts.  We know...in a few days we'll start the laundry dance all over again.  Same time.  Same day. Same partners.  Thankfully, I couldn't have a better laundry partner.

In case you are wondering if I was kidding in the previous post...

I wasn't.  The birthing room got a face lift at Heartline this week.
It's a birthing blanket.  If you are pregnant, don't look at the picture too long.  Your baby might fall out.

11 comments:

abby said...

Just discovered your blog a couple of weeks ago and love to read about your journey in Haiti.

Anonymous said...

Heather....I LOVE YOUR CURLY HAIR!!! Beautiful!

Debi

Amanda said...

Is that birthing blanket thing for real? I am laughing so hard. Someone really made it for that purpose? I am amazed and so mad I didn't have one in my time of need.

Hendrick Family said...

It's for real. Hilarious! Time to make one for all your friends. I'm laughing imagining these blankets popping out of gift bags at baby showers in a few months.

Heather

Sitesx6 said...

Love the pictures of the beautiful Haitians.

When I was in Haiti, we had a wonderful group of Haitian ladies who did our laundry. We would come back from the mobile medical clinics FILTHY dirty, with grime all over our scrubs. One time we were way up in the mountains doing a clinic and it rained constantly and we had MUD ALL OVER our clothes. I thought the dirt and grime would NEVER come out. But those wonderful women cleaned those clothes in buckets, using their hands, like no one's business. They were PERFECT.

I love your blog. I want to reach through cyberspace and hug each of their precious faces.

Keep up the fantastic work.

Toknowhim said...

Heather,

Came across your blog through Amanda's...recently she blogged about the book Radical, and how your family was inspired by the book...

I would love to read those posts on your blog, but I don't know how long ago that was...if you send me a link I would love to read it..

We are in the process of praying about adoption...we have 3 boys too...

Blessings, Kim

Anne Dye said...

The blanket is hilarious! The Hendrick-eye-view on Haiti is priceless! Thanks so much for sharing!

The Perry's said...

I just found your blog and am enjoying reading about your family and the ministry you are doing in Haiti. You made me want to do a quick load of laundry...just because I can. I take it for granted.

The Kramer Family said...

hooray! a pic of soso and her sweet family. she is precious. i'm so thankful that you have them to help keep those boys shirts white. what a task in the land of convenience. i can't imagine doing it with a garden hose, rats, and a pot.

let me know when I need to send you some spray n wash:)

LD said...

This is totally off topic, but your hair looks AMAZING! I am so jealous right now!

PS my word verification was nunpant. That made me giggle.

mandi said...

bwa-hahahaha!!!