Wednesday, October 27, 2010

As Simple As That



I went to Heartline yesterday.  The ladies learned about cholera.  They learned how to keep themselves safe, how to keep their children safe, and how important it is to keep nursing their babies no. matter. what.  On a normal day we have to hammer staying hydrated.  Most of our women do not drink enough water.  Now, with cholera in this country they are afraid of water.  It was important for the women to hear truth.  We are asking God to help the truth they heard keep them from being fearful, and keep them drinking plenty of clean water so they can continue to nurse their babies or stay healthy during their pregnancy.  We sent the women home with hygiene kits.  The room smelled good.  Maybe it was all that truth in the air.  Maybe it was the Irish Spring soap.

Later I helped hang a giant picture of a vagina on the wall in the birthing room.  No big deal.  I'm sure that's what everyone did yesterday.

Last night we're researching hotels in Haiti.  Our kids are about to have a pretty substantial break from school, so we thought we would leave PAP for a few days.  Head out.  See this country, fully prepared to add three hours onto any estimated travel time.

Looking at one hotel website, I said, "Oooh.  This one says they have electricity most of the day.  Most of the day.  Did you hear that?  Let's go there!"

I had to stop and laugh.

Heather Hilton.

My beloved, well-earned nickname in the States.  Least likely to ever, ever be a "missionary."  Worst pick...like I'd be the last person chosen to be on a team to leave the US.  No one would want me.  I like makeup and my toenails painted, and you know...stuff like WATER to come out of the faucet every single time I turn it on.  gasp.

And yet here I am in Haiti swooning about hotels that offer electricity "most of the day."

My how things change.

Makes me smile a little to think about what your life could look like one year from now.  Surely I'm not the only person that God loves this much to write a chapter entitled, "Haiti" into my story.

Anyone feeling like God might be ready to write an exciting chapter into your life?

I'm no expert on change.  The idea of it still makes my stomach hurt.  Maybe you're on the edge of that cliff and God is saying scary words like...Adopt...Sell the house...Give extravagantly...Forgive...Risk...Change your major...Resign...Apply...Say you're sorry...Get out of debt...Live for something bigger, something eternal.

Sometimes it seems impossible to take the first step.  Fear can be paralyzing. 

I just finished reading a book called, "Little Bee."  One line stood out to me.  I read it over and over.

"One phone call.  I realized it was as simple as that.  People wonder how they are ever going to change their lives, but really it is frighteningly easy."

Not easy as in a breeze.  Easy as in we've found that God generously makes up for when our faith is lacking.  He honors even the tiniest, shaky-legs, baby steps.

We get asked all the time..."How did you decide to adopt?  Did you always want to?"  We have to say, "No.  We didn't always want to.  We were really, really afraid.  We had never given much thought to adoption before a few years ago.  I was afraid I'd get an ugly baby that had webbed feet.  But we made a phone call.  We met with our agency.  We had to face a lot of sin and faithlessness that an adoption process has a way of tilling up.  And then we ended up with a beautiful baby boy.  We're not really sure how adoption became a part of our story, but we're glad it is."

We get asked..."How did you move to Haiti?  That seems so overwhelming. Did you always want to do mission work? "  We have to say, "Uh...no.  We liked our lives in the States.  If a missionary came to our church to speak, I'd volunteer in the nursery because I thought missionaries were total snoozers with pitiful power point slide shows.  We were terrified as we considered the move.  We begrudgingly put a for sale sign in our front yard.  I didn't even clean the house for it to show.  I didn't want it to sell.  Four days later it did.  To the first person who looked at it.  Aaron applied for a job he never thought he'd get.  They hired him.  A lot of other stuff happened, and now we're in Haiti.  We have no idea how God got us here.  We just know He did."

A phone call.  A "for sale" sign.  An online application. 

Looking back, as hard as it all was, our part was also frighteningly easy.  Maybe how easy it is to take the first step is what makes it so incredibly hard.

18 comments:

Marla Taviano said...

I looooooove this post!! And YES, I think God is getting ready to write an exciting chapter in my family's life. BRING. IT.

(Praying about the e-mail I sent you. Take your time. Looking forward to seeing what God has in store!)

Anonymous said...

Yep, I agree. Saying, "yes, Lord," is the hardest part. He takes care of everything else.

You crack me up! Thanks, I needed a few giggles.

Susan, wife of 1, mother of 4 said...

You are SO RIGHT, Heather! Paul made one tiny preliminary inquiry phone call, and we did nothing else, and WHAM, we were in England. We wanted really badly to return to Texas, and doors were firmly closed. It's SOOOO important to pray and listen and pray and pay attention and pray, and then be very brave. VERY BRAVE. God is SOOOO capable and will handle ALL of the details (as you know well), and the work in your soul is SO WORTH IT!!!!

Noelle Gonzalez said...

I spent the afternoon at a beach in Xaragua last time I was there. There was a nice hotel nearby. They graciously let me use their bathroom. It'd be worth checking out. Its past Gonaives I think, but it probably took 1-2 hours to get there.

Nice beach if you are a beach person. :)

Charity Hildebrand said...

I love this post too! Thanks for sharing! I just recently discovered your blog and I'm hooked :)

And the post about the naked guy - oh my goodness, laughed till I cried!!

I love getting a glimpse into your lives. God has been challenging our family with the same things you have been writing about!

We are living in Turkey and have been here for almost two years now. It was completely huge and scary for us and a BIG step out of our box, but WOW, how amazing it was to see how God worked out all the details to get us here and how He has been providing for us ever since. It has not always been easy, actually quite the opposite, but we know we're exactly where God wants us to be! And what an incredible journey it's been!

Melda said...

Gosh Heather.....you popped my imaginary bubble!! I thought you adopted because Michael was so stinkin' adorable! (*wink)

But, never really thought I'd adopt either until a phone call from Haiti, "Hey, what do you think about me bringing a baby home from here"

Gosh, to see it written it sounds like he was at WalMart or something.......

Amy said...

Thank you for this post. This is EXACTLY where my husband and I are right now. I just found your blog last week when Amanda @ BabyBangs linked it. We're already in the middle of the adoption process but we just read Radical in the last couple of months. Now we're listening to the sermons online and it is wrecking us. We know God is about to write a really exciting chapter into our lives but we're just not sure what it is. This is a little scary for me but actually there is no other place I would rather be right now than expectantly waiting to see what He is going to do with us!

Jillienne said...

Great post! So true how nothing is as you intend but one call or stop sign and everything is different....beautiful.

annjuliee said...

Hi there,

I just stumpled upon your post. I can really relate,..I have a good job, a BA in political science and a lot of other nice things. (I feel for you on the Hilton-thing)
Now God is asking me to become a missionary midwife and I just finished my application. God really does carry us through and responds to our "baby steps"!
Blessings to you and your family!

The Amusing Redhead said...

Hi Heather,

I just found your blog and I am so thankful. I look forward to following your adventures in Haiti.

Casi said...

I love this post. I really think God is in the process of writing an exciting chapter in my life. So excited and so terrified!

placidlane said...

always love your honesty! always.

Beth said...

Wow. I think God is really using you to speak to so many of us. We're in that same boat: taking steps towards the next chapter God has for us.

By the way, have you considered vacationing in Jacmel? The beach is beautiful there, and there are a couple of nice hotels.

The Lopases said...

one walking up to a booth at a conference. talking to the person behind the booth because you feel awkward and feel a need to make small talk.

and now we are adopting....

Zoanna said...

Love your honesty and your humor. I laughed out loud about hanging up a big picture of a vagina -- followed in the next paragraph by the abbreviation for Port au Prince.

I think God is about to write an exciting chapter in our lives as a family. We're reading "Radical" and I feel like my heart's on the "spin cycle" of God's washing machine. I'm a Hilton girl who likes her bling and heels, but I also have this deep desire to abandon all the trappings of middle-class suburbia here in the States to love as I've never loved before.

Or maybe God just wants me to start loving people like that right here, right now. What makes me think that moving will make me more loving?

FYI, the word verification word below is "colorman." Prophetic? :)

Leah said...

I have been battling God about going into the mission field, so this post really gave me a push to believe in God's plan and not my own. Thanks.

SarahBeth said...

I don't know you, but from reading your blog, I feel as if I do! Thank you for sharing your life and experiences. I am longing to see what God has in store for my family!

Meghan said...

i found your blog this week from flower patch farmgirl. i have spent the last 4 hours (while i'm at work no less) reading your posts. and i came to this one. and i understand that first step in so many ways. i feel my life changing in ways i can't explain. i am coming to haiti in february. i've read what you wrote about stm and it is sitting right there in my heart. i read what you wrote about wanting answers and needing faith. anyway...i'm so interested in your words and what you are saying. i'm also very interested in adoption but loving your work with the un-orphanage (cereal boxes). fpg said to me...i love to watch the ways God is twisting your heart right now. i'm so glad i was pointed in your direction. thank you so much for sharing your experiences of both pain and joy.

meghan