Monday, August 02, 2010

The Real Test...


Moving to Haiti is one thing...


Being away from Aaron for TWO WEEKS...well, that's a whole different thing.

We have never been apart from each other that long.  Never!  I know lots of couples have to do the "away" thing all the time.  We've never had any reason to be apart from one another for two weeks, so this is new to us. 

Lots of tears today as Aaron was leaving.  The boys were crying.  I was crying.  Aaron was crying (only because he's a total wimp and cries any time his wife cries).  Our niece was a total mess.  She packed Uncle Aaron a bag of snacks while she literally sobbed in the kitchen.  She started crying the moment Aaron's brother arrived on the farm.  She knew seeing Will meant it was time.

Poor Will.  He offered to drive Aaron all the way to Florida pulling a small trailer with some of our stuff inside...the stuff we're shipping.  What a nice brother, right?  When he drove up the kids treated him like he was the Grimm Reaper.  He did not receive a warm welcome.  It's not fun to have small children stare you down as you walk up to the house.  It's not fun to have people start crying just because you arrived.

Our daddy loaded up today and headed to Florida.  He flies to Haiti on Wednesday.

My brother, Jason, will fly with me and the kids to Haiti on August 13.

Until then we will miss Aaron something fierce.  We don't do well on our own.  The kids totally know they have me outnumbered.  I can feel it.  Thankfully I'm with family.  They are so precious and a huge help.  No way could I do this without them.

Aaron is twittering his updates.  I've loved getting the play by play today.


Totally sappy, but I teared up posting this picture.  I miss you Aaron!

Thank you for driving him, Uncle Will...and a huge thank you to the Palermos for letting us borrow your trailer to haul across the country.

10 comments:

Mommy, M.D. said...

Oh honey, I relate, and I am so sorry! Justin was in Kenya for 3 weeks, and it was the longest we had been apart too. We said we never want to do it again; it was too long. I have NO IDEA how military wives do it.

My advice is stay busy. Get some girl time. Projects. Sew something, make a bunch of jam, whatever. It's not as if you don't have enough on your mind!

I could definitely be up for a girl night out...

Love you sweetheart. Blessings.

Brandon and April said...

I've enjoyed watching your story unfold (stalk-ishly without commenting...sorry!) as you guys have prepared for Haiti. Thanks for sharing your heart! Can't wait to see what God does through your family among His people in Haiti! Keep blogging! because as we're waiting to return overseas, your doses of overseas-ness will be much needed! :)
btw...we're friends of brooke's (and sharon's) from orientation two years ago. that's how I've stumbled upon your blog. :)

Melda said...

Love you and praying for you all!

Anonymous said...

I love you Heather!

Praying for you, Aaron and those precious boys! What a blessing it is to be able to share in this experience with you. Always know what a sweet, sweet blessing your family is to the Freemans!

Cindy

Bob & Judy said...

Praying for m'boys and for my girl - Sweet Heather, we love you so.

I know your struggle. Sometimes it seems like our men just want another adventure, and it might or might not have much to do with following the Lord.

While at the heart of most women is the need to make a home - and stay in it. That's not wrong, anymore than a man's need to venture. Somehow, God balances those things.

Our place is with them. When we do that well, we're right, even if they're wrong.

And believe me, I'm talking to me at least as much as I'm talking to you.

Love you all. Wish we could hug those little guys one more time before you load that plane!!

Kirby said...

I walked into Asher's room this morning because I heard him crying...when I asked him what was wrong he said, "I am just going to miss Mr. Aaron...I don't want him to be in Haiti." Oh and the tears started for me all over again.

Bob & Judy said...

And I don't mean to sound like moving to Haiti is some kind of mid-life crisis. I don't believe that at all. But I do believe that, as wives, we can counsel and discuss, but at the end, we go where they go.

e morrissey said...

I came upon your blog & found myself reading more and more of your story, so I just had to leave you a note. My mom is an R.N. and she volunteered several weeks each year in Haiti through "Intercultural Nursing" for more years than I can count. She loves Haiti like no other place on earth and the feeling I get from reading your story is perhaps you and your husband feel that way as well.

You and your family are an inspiration and I wish you all the best as you move [literally!] through this next chapter of your life.

Safe travels & God Bless :)

The Kramer Family said...

the "realness" has definitely set in. and watching KK did me in. seeing her weep (and not even dramatically, but truly heartbroken), watching her Uncle Aaron leave spoke volumes to me.

i know that this summer has been beyond wonderful because, honestly, i'm not looking forward to having my "normal" life back without you guys in it daily. i'm not looking forward to waking up and my girls not looking out the window to see what Hendrick makes their debut outside first. selfishly, i don't want this to end.

welp, tears.

but, i am excited to see how the Lord uses your family in Haiti.

and Allen said it best the other night,"Lord, you are sending some of our BEST." those words continue to ring out in my prayers.

love you beyond words.

mandi said...

Heather-
you are making me a mess over here! I know what you mean...saying bye to daddy is so hard.

The best advice I ever received when preparing to say goodbye to John for one of his youth camps/mission trips, was from a mother of 10. She told me "just enjoy your children". I still cling to that advice. When things get too hard, overwhelming, whatever, I stop and just enjoy them. Maybe the clothes pile up, maybe we eat granola for dinner (again), but enjoying them relieves all of the burden.

One more thing- your previous post about your last night at church was beautiful. It has been a gift to read about the community you have been apart of while in CS. I have learned so much through your experience about how a community should be.

And about Hayden. Made me think of the day my dad left me at college. His parting words to me were "now, don't be sad if people think you are a little...weird". HAHA!! Thanks dad!