Thursday, August 12, 2010

On Our Way


We leave for Houston this morning.

The last few days have been extraordinarily sweet, and yet I've cried more tears than I knew I owned.

So much to write...so much to process.  Life has been full and rich with long good-byes the last few days.

I have lots of emails to catch up on...please be patient with me.  I'm taking the computer with me, but so many of the people I love are staying here.  Time with them has been treasure.

We leave Brenham today and the arms of my precious Aunt.

Tears flow the moment I think of saying good-bye to her.

Not the ones that fall softly down your cheek.  The kind that plummet from your eyes and cause your chest to rise and fall.

We have been so dearly loved this summer.

Who knew that the Lord would use this move to Haiti to bring about so much healing in my soul.

It has been a beautiful thing to live with a mother-figure again.  I've been married for a long time, so it's been a long time since I've lived with someone old enough to be my mom.

I have loved watching my sweet aunt...watching her cook...knowing how she folds her towels...where everything goes in her kitchen.  I have loved watching her stop in the middle of a busy day to love on one of the kids or listen to one of the boys go on and on about all the magic that's in their heads.

It touches me to walk past her bedroom door and see the light on early in the morning and late at night.  I know what she's doing.  Reading about Jesus, savoring His Word.

The love of God and stories of His faithfulness are always sitting on the tip of her tongue.  The kindness and gentleness of Jesus mark her life.

Blessing.  Pure blessing to us these last few months.

I love you Aunt Debbie.  Thank you for sharing your home with us.  For being so generous...the kind of generosity that has nothing to do with money and everything to do with giving of yourself to others.  You have given us an open door to your life and that is the sweetest gift.

We leave this country loved well.  We leave rested, reminded of the goodness of God, and ready for service.

God has used you, my loving aunt, to patch up some places in my soul that were wounded.  You are one of the sweetest blessings in my life.


She is clothed with strength and dignity;  she can laugh at the days to come.
She speaks with wisdom, and faithful instruction is on her tongue.
She watches over the affairs of her household and does not eat the bread of idleness.
Her children arise and call her blessed; her husband also, and he praises her:
"Many women do noble things, but you surpass them all."
Charm is deceptive, and beauty is fleeting; but a woman who fears the LORD is to be praised.
Give her the reward she has earned, and let her works bring her praise at the city gate.
                                                                                                                     ---Proverbs 31

I love you!

1 comment:

lisasmith said...

will surely cover you in prayer, Heather and Hendrick crew. May God be gracious to you and shine His face upon you and give you peace as you travel.