Wednesday, August 04, 2010

Haiti gained 1000 pounds today


1000 pounds of stuff.  That's what we took.  1000 pounds.  That sounds like a lot.

I don't feel too terrible though.  One couple we talked to said they took 600 pounds to Haiti when they moved.  There's two of them.  There's six of us.

We had to take enough toiletries to last us through Christmas.  Dish soap.  Cleaning supplies.  Laundry soap.  I already had most of that stuff from being a crazy, coupon stockpiler.  Who knew moving to Haiti was why I was learning to stock up and save, right?

By the way...books are heavy, and yet apparently we can't live without them.  None of us.  We took books instead of things we actually need.  How awesome certifiably insane of us. Oh well.  When we're hungry or have worms in our butts, I guess we can always dive into a good book to distract ourselves.

To ship our stuff Aaron dropped it off at a missions organization that flies these sorts of things into Haiti.  Aaron and Will unloaded the trailer in Ft. Pierce yesterday.  Aaron got on a plane today.

Lots of our poundage was toiletries, food, and kitchen items.  I think I have enough food to act as a buffer while I try to figure out how on earth I'm going to feed my family in this new, crazy place.  Imagine your grocery store.  Ahh...close your eyes and imagine all the aisles...the giant produce department...the organic section...one full aisle devoted entirely to juice.

Well...the grocery store in Haiti is nothing...um...nothing...like your grocery store.

Learning to shop and eat in Haiti will be interesting, but it's kind of exciting to me.  A challenge.  I totally love a challenge.

When I was packing, I constantly asked the Lord to give me wisdom.  I didn't want to take too much, cause let's face it...we have no idea how long we'll be in Haiti (past the nine month commitment we've made).  I don't want a ton of unnecessary items over there.  We also have to pay $1.50 per pound to ship our stuff.  So that totally ruined any happy packy moments I would have normally had.  However...I also know that if I hate my house there...if I feel like I'm camping indefinitely, obviously I'm not going to want to stay for long.  They don't call me Heather Hilton for nothing.

I had to remind myself over and over...this isn't a one week mission trip.  This will be our life for at least the next year or so.  While I was packing I was also praying...asking God how to make our family a home while not living with excess or in extravagance in a place with so much need.  How can I help our family adjust to this new place?  How can I make our house comfortable and inviting without using much money or living crazy different than the people outside our gate?

I wanted to pack the necessities and anything else that was lightweight that would help our house be organized and livable.  Have I mentioned that Haiti is fresh out of Targets?

I packed lots of collapsible, organizational items.  Even though I've never seen my kitchen I prepared for it to be a lot smaller than what I've been accustomed to here in the States.  We'll see if Ikea saves the day in Haiti.

Aaron landed on the ground in Haiti today.  There was a mix up at the airport and he ended up taking a taxi to the school.  Totally freaked me out when he told me that.  I won't even try to describe the airport in Haiti.  Hands down the scariest part of our trip.  The taxi ride was eventful.  Aaron liked it.  He's weird, so he would.  Lots of yelling.  Lots of near wrecking.  I'm sure Aaron had his hands in the air yelling in the backseat.

Our house on campus isn't ready yet, but it's close.  Huge sigh of relief.  I know everyone has been very busy this summer at QCS.  I am in awe of the life that most of the teachers have lived since the quake.  Some of them have been separated from their spouses and children.  Tragic, hard stuff has been going on.  Selfishly I'd love to know when we get to Haiti our house will be ready for our wild bunch.  But it's really hard to be selfish when so much is going on in Haiti that has been hard and way bigger of a deal than what's going on in our lives.

I'm asking God for patience and peace.  I won't lie.  I'm no good at the patience part.  For that reason, I'm already doubting, once again, that God picked the right person to do this Haiti thing.  Me?  Really?  I am like the least patient person around.  I'm barely flexible.  I like things organized and I'm truly moved...brought to tears by efficiency.  I'm not very efficient, but I'm moved by it.  Just like I'm not artistic, but art makes me cry.

I'm asking God to convince me again...like for the nine thousandth time this month that He really wants me in Haiti.  I think He's lost His holy mind.

When we were in Haiti in May we saw the building that would be our house.  It was not a house yet.  Just a building that was being gutted and turned into a four bedroom house for our family.  Aaron is going to send pictures soon so I can know if there's anything else I need to bring in our suitcases when we come.

Parenting alone with four boys update:

I suck at this.  I miss Aaron.  I keep wanting to send the boys to their dad, but he's not here.  I miss Aaron cause he's funny and my favorite friend.  I also miss what happens to the boys when their dad walks into a room, or when I mention his name when they are doing something totally ridiculous and sometimes illegal.  The middles stole sensors from Plato's Closet today.  They got busted.  How could they not?  They walked out of the store with the sensors that beep when you walk through the doors.  Totally embarrassing cause they stole something...and because they weren't even smart about it.  Aaron, seriously...we just don't do well without you.  We really don't.

Welp...consider yourselves updated, folks.

5 comments:

mandi said...

Praying for you today,my friend.

Bob & Judy said...

"I have found there are 3 stages to every great work of God: first it is impossible, then it is difficult, then it is done."-J. H.Taylor

Gabbie said...

Heather, Oswald Chambers said it well today..."God's purpose is never man's purpose. There comes the baffling call of God in our lives also. His call is to be in comradeship with Himself for His own purposes, and the test is to believe that God knows what He is after. The things that happen do not happen by chance, they happen entirely in the decree of God. God is working out His purposes....A Christian is one who trusts the wits and the wisdom of God, and not his own wits..."
I see you doing this....be encouraged...God knows what He is after in you and your family! Praying for you!

Melda said...

Love you! Happy to hear that Aaron arrived safely......praying!af

Anonymous said...

Haiti has dish soap, Haiti has toiletries, Haiti has laundry soap. Haiti does have supermarkets!