Friday, July 16, 2010

Friday Photos

There was a time when "roller skating was my life."  Like for real.  I would write that phrase on notebooks.

We would go to the skating rink most weekends.  Stay for hours.  I knew all the songs.  I had my own skates and thought people who didn't had the saddest life ever.  Hours before we'd head to the skating rink I'd make a really tough decision.  You'd think I was deciding on a cancer treatment or deciding to homeschool, public school or private school my children.  In actuality I was deciding what color shoelaces would go in my white skates that night.  Tough decision.  Always a tough decision.  Hot pink?  Lime green?  Hot pink and lime green?  And what color pom-pom?  This must be how people trying to solve our world's energy crisis feel.

When Lynsey announced to me that there is a skating rink in Brenham, I almost didn't believe her.  A real skating rink?  I thought those were extinct.

Lynsey assured me...they exist, and there is one not even a mile away from the farm.

I bet it's been about 20 years since I've been to a skating rink.  I couldn't imagine what a modern day skating rink would be like.  That's when Lynsey made my day.  She said, "This is not a modern day skating rink.  When you go back, you will walk in and it will feel like the skating rink is just like you left it 20 years ago."

I was skeptical.  But lo and behold...right when I walked into the door the smell...oh the smell...even the smell had been preserved in this skating rink time capsule.

Orange carpet on the walls.

Ugly brown skates (for the first time in my life I was "that person" who had to wear the rentals).  It was humbling.

A rockin' concession stand.

The two or three totally bizarre, older people who seem to gravitate towards the skating rink.  I remember those as a kid, and was hoping beyond hope that we were not in that group now.




nothing more funny than seeing my brother remove cowboy boots and replace them with roller skates.







All these pictures were taken as we were lacing up the kid's skates.  Everything was fine.  Excitement was in the air.  I couldn't wait to be skating around that floor with my kids sharing this experience with them.

We released the kids and holy cow....total mayhem set in.

Not lying when I say this...for the first 10 full minutes, all the kids were falling.  They could not even stand up.  I'm not sure why I thought skating is something that comes natural...but let me tell you...it doesn't.

I was very glad the farm was so close, because with all that falling I thought for sure I'd have to go home and change my pants.  I was about to wet them.  We could not stop laughing.

The kids were miserable.  I thought we were going to have to go home (well...I thought Jason and Lynsey were going to have to take all the kids home, and I was going to skate for awhile totally throwing myself into that category of weird grown ups who are at the skating rink).

But look what the skating rink had for the skating impaired...


Walkers...or rollers....I'm not sure what they are called.

All I know is that KK, Ashton and Laney Rae went round and round that skating rink floor pushing these contraptions.  They looked like they were 90 years old, but they could not wipe the grins off their faces.  Priceless!  They did not care one bit that the rest of the skaters were lapping them (like numerous times) as they made their way around the floor.

It was a magical night.  I was a little worried that I would not remember how to do this.  I did!  It took a few times around the floor, but then a felt free and fast.  I felt  young and alive.  What fun!

Before we went to the skating rink I had a few thoughts about what the music might be like there.  I wasn't super excited about my kids skating to a lot of the trash that's on some radio stations.  The skating rink said it was "Top 40 night" so I was sort of expecting the worst.  Did that stop us from going?  No. Maybe that's wrong, but it didn't.  Thankfully when we got there it seemed as though they were playing the Top 40 from when skating rinks were still a common occurrence.  Can I tell you how fun it is to stake to Michael Jackson?  Oh the joy.  I was also very proud of my husband (who was at home recovering from his man surgery).  Because of their music loving daddy, there were very few songs...the classics...that my children were not singing along to as they skated (slowly) around the skating rink.


I'll never forget skating next to Hayden hearing him singing, "It doesn't matter if you're black or white."  Such a sweet memory.



It was a great evening for the kids.  I loved seeing them step out and risk.  Hayden was a maniac from the moment he put on his skates.  He was not afraid at all.  That's so him.  He didn't care what he looked like.  He didn't care who was laughing.  He just got on those skates, jumped in the rink, fell every few minutes trying to "get it."  He went from being a total casualty on the floor to being able to go around and around that skating rink without falling.  He even played some of the games.  I rejoiced over his brave life as I watched him make the rounds.  He teaches me so much.  I loved that he would come off the floor laughing saying, "I was the last one mom.   Everyone was passing me by.  It was so funny."  Oh to have that attitude!

Anson totally blessed my  heart as a mom.  As soon as it was obvious he wasn't going to be great at this new thing immediately, I began to worry that he'd give up.  And he did for a short time.  He's so much like Aaron, and his sweet daddy has had many talks with him about persevering even when you're not instantly good at something.  Most things come easy to Anson.  So, when things don't he is tempted to pridefully give up.  I sat and talked to Anson on the carpeted wall.  We had a precious talk about pride and fear...about how they ruin our life and rob us of so many beautiful things God is offering us. Then I watched my son risk embarrassment and failure and get out there and try.  Brought tears to my eyes.  By the time we left, he was up and going, and eager to come back so he could get better.



Hard to believe, but about 20 years ago, my brother and I were skating rink brats.  It was extra special to share this experience with him!  A lot has changed in 20 years, but some things never change.  My love for my brother is the same.  And...the skating rink in Brenham is the same!

If you live anywhere near the Brenham area, my goodness...come and skate.  It is like stepping back in time.

8 comments:

Connie said...

Yep, that's the place! Did they still have the skee-ball game in the corner?

I can't believe it has not been re-modeled. That's crazy. Wish they had those walker/rollers when we went ice skating. :)

Melissa Terry said...

Pictures are cheap- we want video of YOU skating with all your boys doing the hokie pokie. Seriously.

So glad you guys are in "heaven" this summer and hope to see your beautiful faces Sunday.

Love you!

Brandy said...

Is that Silver Wings??? I always had my birthday party there! You got to ride a lap around the rink in a giant skate!!
They had the most awesome creamy slushies, but last time I went, they were gone!
That was one of my most favorite places as a little girl!

hodgesgal said...

hahahahaha... LOVED this post... we have a skating ring near our little Elgin, in Bastrop and trust me, it hasn't changed in 20 years either!!!
we have had some good laughs there!

Anonymous said...

I had my birthday party at Silver Wings when I was in the 6th grade...I was not a good skater, but it was a right of passage growing up in Navasota! I loved driving the big skate around with all my friends holding onto the back!! Love it! Praying for y'all!

Debra in Houston

Bob & Judy said...

All those kids are so beautiful. But nobody smiles like Laney Rae!!! She smiles from her hair to her toes.

D.O. said...

UGGHHH!!!

Heather. I freakin loved reading this post. It made shaving every non-eyebrow piece of hair above my neck off this morning worth it.

LOVE Y'ALL!

Carrie said...

I am laughing so hard b/c this skating rink sounds just like the one we had off of Sawdust Rd. in the Woodlands growing up! ha