Tuesday, May 04, 2010

Haiti Here We Come



This is going to sound sort of abrupt.

I've been writing this post in my head for four days and still don't know what to say.

This is important. It's big. It's crazy.

I want to tell you, but I want to keep this short.

deep breath.

Aaron and I are leaving Friday to go to Haiti.

Aaron applied for a teaching position at a school in Port-au-Prince.

He's been offered the job.

We're going to see the school, meet the people and try...

try

to wrap our brains around this new life that may be ours very soon.

Have we mentioned that the Radical Series and the Jesus we met in the Bible during those messages has totally ruined us?

There will be many posts coming soon. You are all so sweet to walk with us through each of the journeys God has taken us on as a family. We have felt so loved by many of you.

God, in His weird ways of doing just about everything has somehow brought together a group of unique people. For some reason we're here. Together. In this weird place called the world wide web. Talking about Jesus, being a wife, a woman, a mom...talking about how gross and wonderful our kids can be. Kind of creepy, but nonetheless real. Many of you have changed my life. I'm not the same person because of perfect strangers. See...I told you. That's creepy. But true.

So I will write more later...about our fears...about how God has taken people totally comfortable here in America in a giant, beautiful home in one of the nicest neighborhoods in our town and shaken us...in that rough, loving way that only God can manage.

I'm terrified. I have cried and cried and cried and oh yep...cried more. The community we have here is to be envied. We are so close to our friends they are like family. Their relationship to us is a taste of heaven. Close. Sweet. As in, they know where everything goes in my kitchen and could totally step in and take over raising our kids if something were to happen to us. That close. We see each other several times a week. Talk to each other every day. Spend the night in each other's home. Those kinds of friends. We are blessed. We go to a great church. Aaron has a great job. Our kids have precious friends. Great ball teams. Hip hop. A dreamy, American life. Why would we walk away from that?

We're not really sure why. Right now it seems sort of dumb.

Our church family learned about our plans tonight. They were so sweet and supportive. We have such comfort knowing they are praying with us this week.

For now...

I'll spare you the longest post ever and just say this:

Pray for us. Pray for our trip. Pray that God confirms a great deal in our souls in a few days.

Most importantly...if we go this week and we feel like this is definitely where God is leading us...

Pray that God gives us a great...huge...God-sized...only He can accomplish it vision for what He wants to do in Haiti through us and through...you guessed it...YOU. Each of you. Your skills. Your prayers. Your connections. Your money. Touching precious lives in Haiti.

Here's what we know for sure.

This isn't about the Hendricks moving to Haiti. It can't be.

Are you kidding? I feel like the worst pick. The least capable of doing something like this. The one who is perfectly fine warming the bench when it comes to things that actually require faith. Moving to Haiti cannot be about us. If so, this whole thing is totally doomed from the start. Instead, we see this as all of us, in one way or another, getting a real life, hands on way to live out the great commission...to care for the poor...to love the orphan...to help what may be the neediest country in the world right now. Alone we can't do this...we shouldn't do this. I have no faith..none...in my ability to live in a third world country in a way that brings glory to God. I have a lot of faith in Aaron to do something like this. He's a stud. He can do anything. But if he goes to Haiti, I go to Haiti and let's all admit it...there in lies the problem. Even though Aaron is incredible, there is probably only so much whining he can take before he drowns me in the ocean.

I'm simply not the "missionary" type. Missionaries are super holy. They have great complexions. They like to camp. The mothers wear clothes that match their children.

Just yesterday I was doubting if Jesus was real, we all know what happened the one time I tried to camp, and it would be a cold day in Haiti before I would do the matching clothes routine. I'm not even kidding...I'm the worst pick. worst. pick. least. likely.

Pray with us for vision from the God who for some silly reason is asking our family to go...and take you (one way or another) with us.

Let's hope God still uses broken, C-team people to do big, kingdom things. I'm trying to remind myself that using the worst pick seems to be a consistent pattern of God's.

29 comments:

Brock & Megs Birkenfeld said...

Moving passed the "I am so sad, what in the world will we do without y'all", we are beyond excited. We are blessed to be doing this with you, along side you, praying for you, loving you, and crying with y'all through all of this.

God is going to do big, huge things.. bigger than we can even imagine. (Obviously, I mean who would have even thought to imagine all of this just a year ago- before "the ruin".) :) We love you 6 precious people more than words can even explain!

Clay And Megan said...

This is awesome! I am so excited! I am excited for what God is doing in your family, for what he will do wherever he sends you, and for what he will do in your community as a result of bearing witness to such an act of faith. Even just talking about stuff the way you are is life-changing to those that read it. Thank you for walking this journey before us all.

Shannan said...

I am not going to go on and on agreeing with those Birkenfelds....what in the world will we do....
We are excited for y'all and for everyone else that is going to be changed forever! (in one way or another)

All I can think right now is this...
Eph 3:20-21
"Now all glory to God, who is able, through his mighty power at work within us, to accomplish infinitely more that we might ask or think. Glory to him in the church and in Christ Jesus through all generations forever and ever! Amen"

MIGHTY POWER....INFINITELY MORE that we might ASK or EVEN THINK.....

WOW! Imagine that we can't even imagine what He wants to accomplish..for His glory!!

Now I have a headache thinking that deep...and I am going to go cry. :)
We LOVE you people!!

Gabbie said...

Wow!! Get ready for the ride of your life! The kind of ride where you can't wait for it to start...but your heart is about to jump out of your chest at the same time....the kind where parts of the ride are beyond exciting and 2 seconds later, you feel like throwing up! I will be praying for discernment and strength to walk by faith, not by sight....love you

texasmcvays said...

We get sick and miss church and you move one of our children's husbands to Haiti? We'll be praying for ya'll. May "the Lord Bless you and keep you" and "make His face shine upon you and be gracious to you." May "the Lord turn his face towad you and give you peace."Numbers 6:22-27
Rejoicing with you in sweet victory! Blessed to watch your transformation(Romans 12:2) and to see you living Romans 12:3!

Claiming Victory with & for ya'll
The McVays

The Mosiers said...

We are so excited for you! Thank you for allowing us to come alongside you and walk this journey with you guys. We will be praying! We want to know exactly how to pray for you, support you, love you during this time.

God is going to do big things. I love the verse Shannan posted. To God be the glory through this!! We love you people!!

Melda said...

Father God,
I thank you for Aaron and Heather and the chance to be part of their lives back in the day when we were young married folks without any kids. Back when we were taking baby steps and drinking milk ourselves. I praise you for growing us up in you to need more of you in our life. It's time for some MEAT! Thank you for speaking into Aaron and Heather your truth in love, even when it's hard - we trust you to grow us, shape us, mold us into the image of your son Jesus. I pray a blessing on Aaron and Heather's trip to Haiti this Friday. I know it will bring more tears and more emotion into their hearts, so prepare their hearts now. Give them wisdom and peace and a clear understanding of the steps that you want them to take in the AWESOME plan you have for their lives. I also ask you to give each one of us reading this blog a clear understanding of how we are to support their ministry. And then push us to DO IT! We love you Lord. We trust you. We know that your ways are higher than our ways......so hold on tight to us as we take those steps to follow you.
Amen

Heather Diaz said...

I wanted to squeal out really loudly when I read this post!! I didn't because it would've scared the kids:) Reading your journey up to this point makes me realize I shouldn't be this shocked that you'll be in Haiti this weekend...God loves to use a process to get us where He wants us...My husband and I are so excited for you guys and can't wait to see what God has in store.

Anthony and Sharon said...

Woohoo! Seeing as how my relationship with you won't change much (except for maybe lack of consistent internet connection) I can't say I've got the "wish you weren't leaving our church" feeling...because I've gotten to watch from outside Texas the whole time. So I'm nothing but thrilled for this opportunity for your family.

Missions is one of those things that proves the whole "Delight your self in the Lord and He will give you the desires of your heart" isn't about God giving you what your heart desires, but instead God giving you the desire. The desire is the gift... what a peace and gift to understand and know more of the heart of God and want for your life what he wants for it.

Can't wait to see where this takes you.

If nothing else you will learn that there are a good number of missionaries out there who LOVE J.Crew, GAP, and Old Navy... what do you think it is I ask volunteers to bring over for me when they come? :)

thoughtsbyryan said...

Praying indeed.

We know that regardless of what happens, our friendship will continue and we will just need to plan on weekly meetups in Haiti... that's doable right?

I know that God has some incredible plans for you guys, for our church, or how we are all connected together.

I also thank God for people who are willing to lay down the "good life" and all the plans and securities with that, for the "better life" of living on the edge with God and serving the poor.

Thanks for not being content to just stay near the edge of the cliff and talk about what it's like to leap, but for actually showing us what it looks like to run and jump. Hopefully there will be many more of us right behind you guys.

Brooke said...

tears are running down my face (for only the 3rd time in 2010!) because i'm excited for yall. i'm excited to hear what He does in your hearts. i'm excited to know what you learn more about Him. i'm excited to see a clearer picture of how God is working in Haiti.

i'm still your biggest fan. ;)

aggie02 said...

Just remember that everything that Paul did for the spread of the Gospel was only done in the power of the same Spirit that resides in you. And to throw a little bit of cheese in there, but there is truth in it, "God doesn't call the equipped; He equips the called."

I know that God is going to use you and Aaron in a mighty way no matter where he takes your family. I can't wait to hear what He shows you about Himself and yall while your their.

Zara said...

I'll be there Friday too! I'm leaving tomorrow from Houston at 6 am (yikes!) and I'll be there for 5 days, loving on orphans with the Global Orphan Project in an orphan transition village outside of PaP. Maybe we'll run into each other!! :) God bless you, Heather, He is doing INCREDIBLE THINGS!!!

Anonymous said...

When we met with the folks at Lake Chapala Baptist, Jalisco, Mexico, one fellow asked me why I wanted to move here, and I said, "I don't, I just want to be where God wants us." I love it here, but it is not better than East Texas except that God called us here. And here we are. It is not always easy or simple, but it is always good. Poppi

Jana said...

Wow! Thanks so much for your honesty and openess. I just read in my bible study this morning that God does not call us to the normal or the logical. Prayers for a safe trip and for God to use your family in ways we can't even imagine!!

Megan Fletcher said...

praying. and, I'm sending you an email.

God always uses the least of these. that's when His glory is displayed most and best. knowing you are least likely makes it highly likely He will want to use you.

seems to be the story of my life. then, I get arrogant and He doesn't choose me because for some dumb reason I start thinking I can do something and have something to offer. isn't it a funny roller coaster we ride with our emotions and thoughts.

keep focused on Him and stay in the Word and just watch. I can't wait to hear all about it!

Kristin Schroder said...

Praying for you guys! I was reading Hebrews 12 today and telling the Lord, "How have I missed out on the reality of how your kingdom looks and acts and moves for so long? Oh, give me grace to walk as Jesus walked." And I know He will do the same for you and your family--He will provide abundant grace, so you will be lacking in nothing.

Praise God, that He is opening the eyes of His children to see that true life in Christ is found in death of self. He is the Good Shepherd. You have everything you need.

Karen said...

Wow! How exciting! I will be praying for you all - for clarity and wisdom, for safety and sustenance. -Karen

Claire Bellington said...

I didn't get to talk to you last night but we are excited/praying for ya'll!

Jeremiah 17:5-10 has been on my heart this week and I am praying that passage of scripture over you.
"Cursed is the one who trusts in man, who depends on flesh for his strength and whose heart turns away from the Lord.....
"But blessed is the man who trusts in the LORD, whose confidence is in him. He will be like a tree planted by the water that sends out its roots by the stream.
It does not fear when heat comes; its leaves are always green.
It has no worries in a year of drought and never fails to bear fruit."

Praise the Lord for your faithfulness!

Amanda said...

That's awesome. I'll be praying for you and your family.

D.O. said...

I FREAKIN LOVE Y'ALL!!!

And I'm praying.

Rachel said...

You know I am so excited for you! I am praying for you this week that the Lord would make it abundantly clear what He wants you guys to do. His plans are perfect for us.

Susan, wife of 1, mother of 4 said...

Heather, I will be PRAYING for you! If God leads you to this, you will be TRULY BLESSED at how AMAZING He will provide for you. You will look back at this and be astounded at how great our God is.

Be still, and listen for God's loving words. Allow Him to direct you. I know He will.

I'll be praying for you and Aaron to be united in thought, to hear God's voice and to feel peace with your decision.

Looking forward to hearing your updates.

God bless you, sister!

Nells said...

Haiti is a precious land to the Lord. I have been bewitched by it, ever since 2001. I would more than likely come to see you if the Lord would allow such a thing. What school would Aaron be working for? I worked with an orphanage several times in the past that has a school open for non-orphans to come and learn as well. It is in Port-au-Prince. It is called Hope for the Children in Haiti, led by an amazing man of faith by the name of Dr. Jacob Bernard. Do these names happen to run alongside where you will be?

Heather, you and your family are blessed and this is a terrifyingly exciting time. I will certainly be praying for confidence in hearing and walking in His will. Thanks for sharing

Laurel said...

hey, found your blog through Ben & Katies- just wanted to encourage you and your family. We moved to the middle east with a toddler and an 8 week old last nov. We heard God say Go. And we left a wonderful community/church-close friends, like yours, that were our family. We heard God say he would give us intimate community and friends. We are beyond blessed here. The Lord has come and blessed us with deep roots and deep friendships in just 6 months. but, we had to cling to His promises in that dry season. His promises are ALWAYS real and true. It's just a matter of us clinging and receiving them. Excited for your journey! It's a fun adventure. Blessings over your fam!

SNM said...

Linked up with my blog post! Congratulations and great things will happen for you and yours and all the people you touch on this journey. I'll add ya'll to our church prayer board.

Carrie said...

Wow...yall are amazing folks!!!
We will be keeping you in our prayers!

Erin Danae said...

"I'm simply not the "missionary" type. Missionaries are super holy. They have great complexions. They like to camp. The mothers wear clothes that match their children."

This statement you made above is completely not true. Global Missionaries are simply people who are living life in other countries in order to share the Gospel. They are normal people who have heard the calling God put on their lives to GO and SHARE. They are not any holier than people who stay in their comforts. When you start to compare yourself to the "super holy" people, of course that sounds daunting. But, in reality, they are no more worthy of God's forgiveness and grace than the rest of us.

I encourage you to not look at them in a special light. As a person who desperately wants to me on the mission field, but has clearly heard a "not yet", I am asking you to just trust that it's people like you who can reach out to the natives and share life. And in the process, you share Truth. Awesome truth...because your life will revolve around it.

Missionaries aren't better than any other human. They just happen to have a job that is the most important in the scheme of eternity. But aren't we all missionaries...or shouldn't we be living like we are?

Kathy Bonafede Ormont said...

I'm so excited to see what God has in store for the Hendricks