Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Strawberry Pickin'

A group of us took our kids out to King's Orchard in Plantersville to pick strawberries today.

This was our first time. What a neat experience!

It's always good to be outside pulling food from the ground.

Does something magical inside you.

Makes you feel alive...and well...and like everything is just right in that moment.

Like hope is a red berry you hold in your hand.

A promise

That the new will come.

Among death radiant life will burst forth.

Unbelievable beauty and sweetness from an earth that is broken and gray.


Hudson ate some of the bounty. You're not supposed to eat them while you're pickin', but it's sort of hard for little mister to understand why we would keep picking beautiful strawberries and not eat them immediately.

He was extra adorable with his strawberry.





The older boys were busy little pickers. Before I knew it their box was getting full. I was so afraid I was going to have to buy way more strawberries than we needed, at not so great of a price. I was already trying to figure out how to explain to Aaron how I spent half our grocery money on strawberries. "Your sons are freakishly fast pickers. They were like Dash...before I knew it the box was full." Luckily we didn't end up paying too much.



Asher boy


sweet sawyer

How I love these girls!
Grace Anne and Cameron made the trip with us today.




How I love these girls too!

silly friends


Don't you want to Mary Poppins your way into that picture and eat some of Cameron's strawberries?






It started raining right as we drove away from the orchard.

I'd call that a pretty perfect day.

There's something extra special about strawberries you picked yourself.

Delicious!

5 comments:

Mommy, M.D. said...

I saw this on facebook and promptly organized my own group! thanks for the idea.

Hendrick Family said...

Oh good, Brandi! Your group will love it. I wish I could get you guys our picking boxes. Those cost extra, but you're allowed to re-use them.

Heather

Mommy, M.D. said...

Lynsey is going. Will you see her?

Carrie said...

We love Kings Orchard! Just yesterday I heard that the strawberry patch was going to be good this year!

Anonymous said...

I want to know how they keep the rolly polly's (RPs) away...I am planting strawberries in my flower beds this year and a friend of mine told me the RPs will eat them. Guess I will have to go to Kings Orchard and pick some strawberries and take my load of questions too... C: Debi