Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Clever Kirby

Don't forget about the drawing for the thermometer.
Have you entered yet?

photo taken by Ryan Price

If you are a regular around here, you know that Kirby is near and dear to my heart.

I've had the sweet pleasure of watching her go from single, college girl to wife and mother of two beauties. I have felt extremely blessed by the Lord to know Kirby and watch her grow over the years. I could fill a book with all the ways God has been good to me and shown me His sweet grace through Kirby's life.

We're leaving to go out of town, so I thought I would leave you with some fantastic things Kirby has shown me lately...

1. Check out the Do-It-Yourself Kitchen Charlie (Kirby's talented hubby) made for their kids. This was a wonderful Christmas present. Kirby's friends and family members pitched in to buy and make the most adorable accessories. I love that pop tart!

2. Plan on having a bunch of kids? Check out these incredible bunk beds. I've put these on Aaron's list. Such a great idea! I was thrilled when Kirby showed me this blog. Here's pictures of this family building the beds. Genius! I'm dreaming of how many kids I can put in one bedroom. Our kids lu-huv sleeping in the same room with each other.

3. Kirby girl also recently showed me how to pop our own popcorn in the microwave. This may be the cheapest snack we eat around here.

I copied this information directly from Kirby's Valentine's Day post. Check it out if you want a million cute Valentines ideas. That Kirby loves Valentine's Day. I love that I know her on Valentine's Day cause I get lots of sweet gifts.

From Kirby...

I feel like I should stop right now and share a fabulous tip with you that is going to revolutionize snacktime around here. This really needs it's own separate post but since we all know how good I am about updating, I'll just tell you about it now. Okay, so just as I was getting my saucepan and popcorn kernels out, I picked up my cell to call my brother, Jordan, who is the homemade popcorn pro. (When he lived with us last year he made stove-top popcorn almost everyday for a snack. And, as pathetic as this sounds, I have no clue how to do it. I think he even offered to teach me once, but I was too intimidated and declined, resigning to mooching off his homemade popcorn.)

About a month ago, after this article totally freaked me out about store bought, microwave popcorn, I realized I was going to have to learn to make it over the stove--until a few days ago!! When I started reading the recipe, I saw this link for homemade microwave popcorn. Although I still have a microwave-phobia (for other health-related reasons) I like that this is a quick (and now so much cheaper) snack. And I LOVE that I can control the amount of salt and actually put real butter on the popcorn rather than all that fake, hydrogenated oil crud.
Here's how to do it:
It’s as easy as 1, 2, 3:
  1. Put 1/4 cup popcorn in a brown paper bag. Fold top over a few times and tape it.
  2. Place in microwave folded side upfor 2 to 3 minutes or until there is 5 seconds between pops.
  3. Eat plain or add flavors (such as salt, butter, sugar, etc.)
Easy Homemade Microwave Popcorn
(My tip: Make sure that if you do re-use your paper bag, that you take the old scotch tape off and replace it with a new one...otherwise, it will begin to melt and cause a small fire in your microwave :)


Heather's tip...
I make the popcorn the way Kirby suggests, but I put a tablespoon of butter (you can use organic butter) in the bag before popping the pop corn. Then I set the bag on a paper towel in the microwave. The butter melts and is yummy on the popcorn. You can't reuse the bag though. Gets messy!


3 comments:

Charlie said...

Oh geez! Try living with this girl... She's brilliant!! She brings life and beauty to our home. She makes our family moments so memorable and fun. Every home should have a Kirby-girl!

the lewisi female said...

unrelated... check out freerice.com
it donates rice to hungry people around the world and has all different subjects to work on... it looked like something you could get into.

The Currie Family said...

She is super fab!! LOVE the bunk room!! Now that we are having our THIRD girl I should consider the bunk room.....although I would have to steal Charlie for a few weeks to help out! :o)