Friday, February 05, 2010

Saturday Yum

The pancake recipe I'm about to give you puts these pancakes to shame.

As most of you know, I've been on a journey to get rid of "all things weird and processed" from my family's diets.

This means learning to make more foods from scratch (which by the way, always taste better I'm finding).

I have always been a Bisquick girl.

I use Bisquick to make chicken n' dumplings (one of my family's favorite meal), waffles and pancakes.

Well, I decided a few months ago that I wasn't using Bisquick anymore. Yep. I'm kickin' it to the Bisquick man.

One of the great things about learning to cook from scratch is that you realize how much more money it costs to buy processed foods. Bisquick is expensive. I realized I was paying a company to mix my flour and baking powder (and other chemicals) for me. No thank you company. I'll mix my flour and baking powder myself and leave out the cancer.

No joke. I always thought eating healthier was more expensive.

I'm finding that it isn't.

As a matter of fact, we eat really well around here and I've been able to cut my grocery store budget to around $100 a week for our family and that includes diapers, toilet paper and other household and toiletry items.

Pretty awesome, no?

I'm slowly learning that it doesn't cost as much to have a pantry filled with whole ingredients. I'm also learning that I like the foods better that we're eating, and once you get into the "flow" of eating differently it really doesn't take more time or money. I was really skeptical about this, but I've been relieved lately to see eating healthier wasn't as awful as I thought it was going to be for our family.

I recently found THE BEST...and I mean THE BEST pancake recipe.

Seriously...these pancakes make the Bisquick pancakes seem extraordinarily sad.

Thought I would share these pancakes today in case you want to make them for your family (or roommates) in the morning. Much love and raving will be the result.

For regular pancakes...

1 1/2 cup flour (I used white, but next time I'm using wheat)
3 1/2 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. salt
1 T sugar
1 1/4 c. milk
1 egg
3 T melted butter

Mix dry ingredients. Mix wet ingredients in separate bowl. Then mix the two together.

For our favorite kind...banana/cinnamon pancakes...

1 1/2 cup flour (I used white, but next time I'm using wheat)
3 1/2 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. salt
1 T Sugar
1 T Cinnamon
1 tsp. vanilla
1 1/4 c. milk
1 banana, mashed
3 T melted butter

Mix dry ingredients. Mix wet ingredients in separate bowl. Then mix the two together.

I times this recipe by four. That way we have a bunch to eat for dinner (or breakfast), plus a few mornings worth of pancakes with the leftovers.

These are the fattest, fluffiest, most divine pancakes you'll ever make. Promise.

You can buy maple syrup for a great price at Sams. There was also a fantastic deal on maple syrup through Amazon, but I can't find the details now. Anyone remember seeing that on Mommy Snacks or Money Saving Mom recently?

Now I just have to figure out how to make Chicken n' dumplings without Bisquick...always learning something new around here.

13 comments:

The Mosiers said...

Thanks for the recipe! I've been searching for a good pancake recipe from scratch! We are on the journey to rid the chemicals from our food as well, especially with all the issues we've been having with Cade's skin.

What kind of milk to you use for Haydon to be able to eat them?

Can't wait to try these!

Mommy, M.D. said...

These look delicious! Pancakes are one of the things I craved and couldn't have with the gestational diabetes, so I might have to treat myself tomorrow. My recipe is from Alice Waters and is very similar from yours.

You might be interested in this though: for flour, she has 3/4 c whole wheat PASTRY flour (much lighter than regular whole wheat), and 3/4 c mixed whole grain flours. I use cornmeal and rye; she also lists regular whole wheat, spelt, or buckwheat.

I actually like the graininess; it makes it them more like real food and less like candy.

And I'm so seriously impressed with your $100/week. Do you attribute it mostly to coupons? Or do you have other advice for the Kroger-challenged among us?

Kathryn, Michael and Alex said...

This is the same recipe I use and if you sift your flour they are even lighter...yum!!

Kathryn, Michael and Alex said...

This is the same recipe I use and if you sift your flour they are even lighter...yum!!

Riahli said...

That looks like a great recipe! I think with a few tweeks I can make it gluten and dairy free for one of my boys so I am going to try that. We love banana pancakes around here too! :)

Nikki said...

Chicken and Dumplings without Biscuit

1 (2 1/2 to 3 pound) broiler/fryer ~ FYI -- I prefer to use 10-12 boneless chicken tenders -
when cooked and torn into bite size pieces, should equal about 2 cups)
2 quarts water
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper

2 cups all -purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
3 Tablespoons butter
3/4 cup buttermilk

Place chicken in dutch oven; add water and 1 teaspoon salt. Bring to a boil; cover, reduce heat, and simmer for 10 minutes (if using tenders. If using bone-in pieces, simmer ~ 1 hour). Remove chicken and let it cool slightly. Bone chicken, cutting meat into bite-size pieces; set aside. Bring broth to a boil over medium heat; add pepper.

Combine flour, soda, and 1/2 teaspoon salt; cut in butter until mixture resembles course meal. Add buttermilk, stirring with a fork until dry ingredients are moistened. Turn dough out onto a well-floured surface and knead lightly 4 or 5 times.

Roll dough (I do a quarter of the dough at a time) to 1/4 inch thikness. Cut dough into 1 inch wide strips, then pinch of 1 inch segments and drop into boiling broth, gently stirring as needed. Reduce heat to low, add chicken, and cook for 8-10 minutes.

Serve and ENJOY!

Hendrick Family said...

Thanks for the chicken n dumpling recipe! I will try it!

Erin...I just use regular milk. I guess they are cooked long enough for Hayden to be okay with the pancakes. Obviously we use the banana recipe so we don't have to use egg. I'm sure you could substitute soy or almond milk for the regular milk.

Brandi...yes, I think the savings are mostly related to couponing. It's now been over a year. I think we're so stocked up on most of the products we use all the time (toiletries, paper products, wheat noodles, brown rice, pasta sauce, etc) that my list is small each week leaving me more money to buy more organics and better food.

I want to see if I can keep our bill this low every week. If so, I'm going to start buying better meat and dairy.

Also, I've found that trying to really find recipes that use seasonal veggies has helped reduce my grocery bill.

Like lots of broccoli, cabbage, carrot recipes in the winter.

We'll see if I can keep that up!

Heather

Ricci said...

This post could not have come at a better time! I was in need of a good non-box pancake mix.

I'm glad you've noticed that buying better isn't more expensive as I was thinking I was the only one who was believing that.

We just put in an order with Yonder Way Farms, too! I thought it was pretty pricey, but after doing my recipes, I'm pretty sure I'm going to have a lot of meat left over, so we're going to see how it balances out.

Thanks for the post, Heather!

samantha said...

It has been a long time since I bought Bisquick and I am not sure what the ingredients are anymore (like you I make my own pancakes, waffles, biscuits, etc). The following is supposed to be a recipe to make your own Bisquick. I have not used it for much, but thought some readers might be interested. It makes a great mix to take on camping trips because you can use it for all of the above things plus cookies, cornbread, and muffins. I think it makes a hige amount though, but of course it can be cut down.


Master Mix
5 pounds (18 3/4 cups) all-purpose flour
3/4 cup double acting baking powder
3 tablespoons salt
2 1/2 cups powdered milk
2 tablespoons cream of tartar
1/2 cup white sugar
2 pounds (4 cups) solid vegetable shortening

Combine dry ingredients in a very large mixing bowl. Cut in shortening until mix looks like cornmeal. Store at room temperature in tightly sealed container(s). Makes about 30 cups mix. Use just as you would Bisquick making sure you substitute water for any milk required

Rachel Watters said...

Thanks! We enjoyed the banana/cinnamon ones this morning. Very tasty!

Anonymous said...

I have searched for years for a good pancake recipe! I will try this tomorrow morning!

Also, we make our own syrup. It's so easy and quick, but it doesn't get thick like the store-bought syrup.

2 cups water
1 cup sugar
3/4 cup brown sugar
1/2 teaspoon maple flavor

Boil for 4-5 min. in a pan on the stove. Store extra in refrigerator - although I'm not sure WHY it would have to go in the refrigerator. Mark grew up with this recipe, so I've always made it.

I love my waffle recipe, but I'm so pumped about the new pancake recipe! Thanks!

Melodi

Richele said...

i'm excited to try your pancake recipe tomorrow!

in the carolinas - they call it chicken and pastry.

make your chicken as you normally do, then sift 2 cups of flour, pinch of pepper and ¾ teaspoon salt into mixing bowl.

add 1/2 cup of the broth from the boiled chicken into the flour and mix with a fork until a stiff dough forms.

knead on floured surface and roll out to 1/4-inch thickness.

cut into approximately 1-inch strips and drop one strip at a time into the boiling broth, slowly to make sure the broth continues to boil.

after putting in the last piece, stir very lightly and simmer on low for 15 minutes.

Katie LaPierre said...

Just made whole wheat ones with raspberries! so good! We love raspberries around here. Great source of vitamin c and fiber! thanks heather