Thursday, February 25, 2010

Haitian Kids Update



Waiting.

That's really where we're at right now.

Waiting to hear if the governments involved grant these children medical visas.

Our "packet" is in Haiti.

Seems super weird that our paperwork is there...our home study...our family picture...

The paper Hendricks are in Haiti. The flesh and bones Hendricks are here.

Waiting to hear.

Trying not to get discouraged.

Learning Creole.

Praying for God to help these people, and to use us in some way (big or small) to care for them.

This need for families to care for hurting children in Haiti coupled with the sermon series we're listening to below has totally shaken us.

Only God can shake you violently and lovingly.

One day I'm going to try and catch you up on what God's doing in our home and in our souls.

Right now we're busy praying, repenting, asking Jesus to grow our faith, and talking out life altering issues with people on this same terrifying, exciting journey.

I've never been more unsure and afraid of the future, and yet I've never felt so alive.

3 comments:

Brock & Megs Birkenfeld said...

I woke up this morning wondering if it was all a dream, maybe a nightmare.. all these crazy things going through our brains..

Then I realized it wasn't a dream, it's real.. and I got kind of scared.. But in a good way.. I think.

Heather said...

God is doing the same with us....even our children, now, pray everyday for the "hurting orphans" and the "ones who need help." Everyday. Our church is now trying to partner with an organization called Joy in Hope. It is an amazing ministry to Haiti out of Crosspointe Church in North Carolina. They have trained and sent families who have been called to minister to Haitians as "house parents." They move to Haiti, raise their children in Haiti, along with other orphans that they bring into their home. They accept children 5-18, because the orphanages there will ONLY accept children under the age of 5. They are committed to raising the children IN Haiti to know and love God so that they can grow generations of Haitians who will make a difference...it's really amazing. I know you will be blessed by this blog- if/when you have to time to check it out. The name of the house mother is Gwenn Mangine. They moved to Haiti 9 months before the earthquake and their story of how God has used them after the quake will blow you away (at least I was in tears over God's provision)....Anyway, all that to say I would love to know what you think about it!
www.mangine.org

Heather Diaz

Anonymous said...

Learning creole along with you!!

I will be going with a team to Haiti in June, and Mark is going on spring break. We'll be helping an organization called JoyHouse Ministries in Gressier, Haiti, about 15 miles from Port au Prince.

I didn't know about your Haiti involvement until last week. For obvious reasons, I've not been keeping up with a lot of things lately.

I am excited to learn that one way Mark and I can support you is through learning Creole, so that we can love on your new child(ren).

Oh, Heather. How God has changed our families. I pray that will always be the case.

I love you.

Melodi