Friday, January 15, 2010

Blueberries and Babies


Yep.

It's just that random around here.

First...because blueberries and sour cream are on sale at Kroger this week (at least where we live) I thought I'd share a yummy blueberry muffin recipe.

I made these the other day from the Family Supper Club blog. Delicious.

Muffins are a great and easy snack. I usually make a ton. After they are cooked, I freeze them in large freezer bags. Then when the kids want a snack, they get one out of the bag, pop it in the freezer for 30 seconds and wah-lah...a homemade snack made with real live ingredients. Gotta love that!

_____________________________

Second...babies.

Several of you have emailed me or left comments wanting to know about reputable adoption agencies in Haiti.

I feel like I need to define reputable. Forever, when I was looking into international adoption I would say, "reputable" when in fact I meant "easy" agency. From hearing so many stories of international adoption I think we all have to be honest and admit there is probably no "easy" way to adopt a child from another country. It's hard. It's complicated. Things come up. There are usually going to be complications. Good thing people adopt because God has called them to it instead of adopting because it's a walk in the park.

Now, when I say reputable I mean agencies that have a good reputation for adopting out children who are in fact orphans, or whose parents are willingly relinquishing their rights (not being paid to or forced to). "Reputable" to me now means, if you start the process and money has been handed over, you're coming home with your child.

I've talked to several people from Haiti or who have recently worked in Haiti and have connections there right now. They say that many adoptions have been postponed because the government buildings have collapsed. People who run orphanages and facilitate adoptions are expecting many adoptions that are already in the works to be delayed. This is heartbreaking for so many families who I'm sure already feel like they have waited forever to bring their child home.

Even though the adoptions are up in the air right now, I've seen on the news that there are in fact lots of babies and children being brought to orphanages (that were already overflowing with babies prior to the earthquake). Something in my heart tells me that although it may not happen soon, or be a possibility to adopt in the near future with all that is going on right now in Haiti that long term, there will be babies and children that need to be adopted down the road.

Yesterday my friend Megan and I contacted some adoption agencies and orphanges in Haiti. I want to share what I found in case you and your spouse want to begin praying about whether or not the Lord will have you begin the process now or soon to help Haiti and possibly adopt a child down the road as the country hopefully begins to heal.

Three agencies I contacted:

Heartline Ministries
This is a great website to browse. It will touch your heart.

Here's the page you go to in order to request information about adoption.

This is an orphanage and their blog is being updated with daily needs. I love having names of people to pray for.

The Livesay family works with Heartline Ministries. Do you know about them? If not their blog will blow your mind. I love these people. What a precious family, living in Haiti...you will be inspired. God will grow your faith through this family. Seriously...dump something off your reader and add this blog to your list. Feel free to give mine the boot.

Remember those t-shirts I was telling you about yesterday? 100% of the proceeds go to 3 organizations in Haiti. One of those organizations is this orphanage, Heartline Ministries. (The other two organizations are Compassion International and Real Hope for Haiti) Have you bought your shirt yet?

_____________________

NewLife Link


You can read their adoption information here.

Here's the contact: newlifelink@yahoo.com

When emailing them you must answer these questions in your initial email to them:

1. Do you believe in and accept Jesus Christ as your personal Savior and Lord ?

2. Are you active member (s) of a church ? If yes, please name the church, provide its address, explain to what denomination it belongs, and describe your involvement.

3. Are you single, married or divorced ?

4. How old are you and your spouse? ( if you are married ) How long have you been married ?

5. How many children do you already have at home? their ages ?

6. What gender and age range of the child you hope to adopt ?

___________________________________

God's Littlest Angels

This orphanage was featured on the news yesterday.

Their adoption information can be found here.

Here's the contact information: JBell6549@aol.com

Dixie, who runs the center has a blog she is keeping updated through this disaster. It's interesting, and a great place to stay in the know from someone in Haiti.

What did we do before blogs?

___________________________________

That's where we are...we've contacted these places and are waiting to hear back.

Want to be ready...just in case.

Kind of scares the crap out of me, but oh well...away we go.

10 comments:

the herzogs said...

thanks so much for sharing, heather! it's great to have this information to look through and to have our hearts open to where God may lead us. we really appreciate you sharing what you found about this!

erin

Jenny said...

Heather,
I started reading your blog, because of your adoption. We have adopted internationally and wanted to pass on our adoption agency, that also works in Haiti. Holt International is a Christian adoption agency as well as an organization that cares for orphans (who are not available for adoption) around the world. We had a wonderful experience with them, adopting from Korea. Here's a link if you're interested: http://www.holtinternational.org/haiti/

Hendrick Family said...

Thanks, Jenny!

Laurie said...

We adopted from Haiti last year from God's Littlest Angels. They are awesome. Right now there is a petition going around for anyone to sign that will go to the U.S. government to allow any children already in the adoption process to get to go home now with a refugee visa or something like that. If that doesn't happen, I don't know how the O's will have enough room to bring in new orphans. I am praying that God softens the heart of the people in charge of immigration, b/c they are a HARD group of people. Really and truly mean and want to make it close to impossible to bring our kids home. I have the links on my blog for the petition...
thewatsonunit.blogspot.com if you want to pass the info along or link it to your blog.
I am praying that the adoption laws from Haiti will change and that they will speed up after all this is over (how long will that be?) to allow more families to adopt from there. Hope this helps people wondering...

Brock & Megs Birkenfeld said...

As I was researching these agencies yesterday I became discouraged because of the many laws and criteria Haiti has set for adoption. We are young, haven't been married 10 years yet, and we have a biological child. According to the "rules" we don't meet the requirements to adopt in Haiti.

BUT, the Lord reminded me He is bigger than the rules and regs. If you are in a position like Brock and I it won't hurt to still contact these agencies if you feel the Lord may be calling you to adopt now or down the road. It also won't hurt to get your paperwork started State side so that if you can receive some kind of waiver you won't be hung up on this side of things.

I pray that even as this will eventually die out of the news we will continue to pray for the Haitians. They have a long journey of healing ahead of them and I pray that further down the road we will be just as eager to help as we are now.

One Crowded House said...

there is a good article about this on the Rainbow Kids organization website

http://www.rainbowkids.com/ArticleDetails.aspx?id=687

Haitian adoptions were taking 2-3 years and longer before... now it will probably be even longer...

I just don't want anyone to get their hopes up... you would have to know you would be in it for the long haul.

Our adoption from Haiti took 2 years... and that was relatively quickly in comparison to others.

Grace Family said...

so you have the same/similar header as kirby... how did you do that??? really, i need to know!

by the way... i came out with "want to adopt a baby from haiti?" to my husband today (we have a 3 yr old and a 5 month old) and he giggled. then he realized i was a bit serious and he said, "huh, wow, you know i can't answer something like that right away." we have never before discussed adoption (as fertility is not a problem for us) and this just might get the conversation going. SO, thanks for the links for future reference. i also saw today on the news that a lot of the displaced kids (who are now orphans due to the death of their parents from the quake) will be relocated to florida to make adoptions to the us easier... hmmm?!?!?

Anonymous said...

So you inspired me to make the muffins and they are delicious! I even added 1/4 cup of ground flaxseed to make them healthier and you can't even tell (I did have to add a little more milk though because it made the batter thicker.) I just discovered ground flaxseed today and I'm pretty sure it's going to be in everything I make from now on! So healthy and barely noticeable :) I'll be praying about the adoption possibilities for all of the families who are looking into it! -meredith

Hendrick Family said...

Yum Meredith! I have ground flax seed in my pantry. I always forget to use it. I'm doing that next time!

And...

Details on how to change your blog header are coming!

Heather

The Kramer Family said...

seriously love the new look.

i've been trying to get ours updated as well since we've had a new baby and all for almost 8 months. Crazy!