Wednesday, December 09, 2009

Gingerbread Men

The other night we were supposed to go to downtown Bryan for First Friday.

But alas...

It was cold.

Way too cold for this winter hater. Good thing winter doesn't have an email address. I wouldn't get anything done during the day. I'd be at my computer sending hate mail to a season.

So we opted to stay home, make gingerbread cookies with friends and watch Jumaji.

I had never made a gingerbread recipe before.

It was the kind you have to roll out.

I am seriously inept when it comes to anything that has to do with a rolling pin.

Good thing one of the friends we invited over used to work at a pizza place.

Charlie is a pro at the dough rolling.

About halfway into the gingerbread making I started looking for my "man" cookie cutters.

Not in the drawer.

Probably in the playdough bucket.

Nope.

So...good thing the friend we invited over is also a graphic designer. He makes logos for people, surely he can make some gingerbread men.

Nothing like inviting friends over for gingerbread man cookies and then making them do all the work.



freehand gingerbread men





Come to find out...

Gingerbread is pretty gross (or at least the recipe I used was).

It was fun making the cookies and decorating them, but the kids could not eat them (and neither could we).

Ashton was the first to sample. He blurted out..."Mom, can I have a different dessert. This one is DISGUSTING."

He was just about to get a good talkin' to from his daddy for being so rude when I tasted one.

Barf.

They tasted like a black jelly bean gone worse.

We were tasting the cookies and gagging when we looked over at Hayden. His cookie was almost gone. I said, "Do you like them?" You could tell with all the commotion going on about how gross they were he was afraid to tell us he liked them. So funny. Very sheepishly he said, "Yes."

So...everyone but Hayden thought they were nasty.

Next year...

We'll make snickerdoodle men and decorate them (unless someone has a kick butt gingerbread cookie recipe that does not taste like black strap molasses and actually has some sweetness to it).

I think I need a new "man" cookie cutter in my stocking this year.

Good thing I had also made caramel popcorn.

It was my first time to make that as well...but it turned out great!

See that "servings" section on the recipe?

I didn't know you could change that. So I made enough popcorn for 28 people.

There were only 10 of us.

We're still eating caramel popcorn a week later.

Made any new yummy desserts or Christmas candies yet? I'd love to try your recipe!

Made any new Christmas traditions? I'd love to hear them!

Hope your advent season has been one of joy and sweet time with your family and friends!

13 comments:

Susan, wife of 1, mother of 4 said...

If you have the Betty Crocker cookbook, they have a DELICIOUS Gingerbread cookie recipe that is super simple to make. If you don't have it, let me know and I'll get it to you (maybe after Christmas, since we are in the middle of an int'l move over the holidays. :) (But I WILL send it as soon as I get a chance if you need it!)

Hendrick Family said...

No...I don't have the Betty Crocker cookbook. I'd love to have the recipe (but take your time!) I didn't know you were moving. When you get a chance, will you email me and let me know where?

Heather

SNM said...

Next time use regular pancake syrup instead of molasses. That may help with the taste.

Bob & Judy said...

Aaron LOVED ginger snaps when he was little. So he and Rachel decided to make them one day. And they were awful!! But the recipe had a little glitch - instead of a teaspoon of baking soda, it said a CUP. So you can imagine how bad they were.

Ashton, Mr. Food-Is-My-Love-Language, didn't like them?

Connie said...

Bummer on the nasty gingerbread. Keep trying b/c I have had some rather tasty ones in the past but never made them myself.

This is no new recipe but we've been eating the dog out of the giant pretzel sticks covered in white chocolate and then sprinkled with seasonal sprinkles. Lot faster than dipping each little tiny pretzel.

If you want to get sort of fancy put some of the melted milk chocolate in a ziplock bag, snip the end and drizzle little stripes and stuff over the white chocolate.

I have a picture of mine on my blog..I think its in November titled Happy Halloween Sniper Witch if you want to see them.

Hendrick Family said...

Even Ashton didn't like them. Until that night I was pretty sure that Ashton would eat ANYTHING with icing on it.

Yum, Connie...I'll go check those out. I remember seeing them on your blog.

Heather

Rachel said...

You're right. First Friday was cold! But it was also a lot of fun!

Also, the "First Friday" for the New Year will be January 8, due to the actual first Friday being on New Year's Day. FYI.

I'm sure it will still be cold, but it's fun to get (really) bundled and go into the warm shops and sip fresh hot cocoa!

I'm going to try a new peanut brittle recipe that doesn't use corn syrup... I'll let you know how that goes!

Rachel said...

Okay. I made the peanut brittle.

It's pretty darn good!

The recipe is here:
http://www.passionatehomemaking.com/2009/12/healthy-homemade-peanut-brittle-a-great-gift-treat.html

It's a really quick recipe, and a fun project to watch the ingredients change with the temperature. I wouldn't recommend children being around once you get it going though because it gets super hot! It was cool to see mixture change so rapidly after putting in the baking soda at the end!

mandi said...

haha!!! we went for gingerbread men the other day and couldn't find a cutter either. my five year old, bless her, found a teddy bear cookie cutter and then trimmed all the ears off. perfect!

i'll get you my ginger molasses cookie recipe- it's pretty much delicious.

Hendrick Family said...

Thanks for hooking me up with some yum, girls!!

Heather

kseale said...

O.k. So I just made some yummy truffles. There are two versions, and they only have 3 ingredients.

The first take oreo cookies and ground them up (filling and all). Mix with 8 oz of cream cheese. Form into 1 inch balls. Place in fridge till they are fairly hard. Then cover with white almond bark melted, and put in fridge till cold.

You can also do this with Nutter Butters. Same process just cover with milk chocolate almond bark.

Super Yummy, and EASY.

Susan, wife of 1, mother of 4 said...

Hi Heather, here is the Gingerbread recipe from the Betty Crocker cookbook. I hope its flavor isn't too strong for your gang!

1/2 cup shortening
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup dark molasses
1/4 cup water
2 1/2 cups flour
3/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp nutmeg
1/2 tsp soda
3/4 tsp ginger
1/8 tsp allspice

Cream shortening and sugar. Blend in molasses, water, flour, salt, soda, ginger, numgeb and all spice. Cover; chill 2-3 hours.

Heat oven to 375F. Roll dough 1/4 inch thick on lightly floured cloth-covered board (I just use a countertop!). Cut with gingerbread boy cutter; place on ungreased baking sheet.

Bake for 10-12 min. Immediately remove from baking sheet. Cool. Decorate!

Enjoy!!!!

Rachel said...

You must try this recipe. They are delicious! Josiah begs me to make them weekly, though I don't comply because I cannot stop eating them. I don't use the full 1/2 cup of molasses, more like 1/3 and up the sugar to about 3/4 cup. I also use real butter and not margarine. I hope that helps!

http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Eileens-Spicy-Gingerbread-Men/Detail.aspx