Thursday, November 19, 2009

Love You Some Etsy?


Below is another Etsy shop run by "Ness," a reader here at Sit a Spell.

"Ness" pointed out that Etsy is a great place to shop. A lot of the vendors use and sell refurbished goods, recycled products and vintage items.

www.vintagebutterfly94.etsy.com

From Ness...

"Etsy as a whole is an artist collective. Many Etsy sellers are conscientious of the materials they use and where they come from and what impact they have on the world and the people in it."

What I love best about Etsy is you're one step away from the buyer. You can ask questions. You can ask where their materials come from and if they are mindful of fair trade standards. I have been very appreciative of the vendor's honesty when I've asked.

One day I'll write about lessening our ecological/environmental/consumer footprint by purchasing used, refurbished or recycled goods. Etsy is a great place to do that. Maybe a product was originally bought from a company whose business practices violate my conscious for making purchases. If I buy that product used (like in an Etsy shop, or at a garage sale) then I'm no longer contributing financially to the system that causes yuck things to happen in this world. Instead, I'm simply re-using...recycling...and most importantly participating in a small way with the Lord in redeeming all things. That's pretty fun.

I'm so new to Etsy. I thought it would be fun today for you to tell us about your favorite Etsy shops (hopefully Kim's is on your list now).

Give your favorite artists a shout out!

1 comment:

ness said...

Heather, thanks so much for including me in this series. I'm learning a lot from it too!