Thursday, October 15, 2009

What's On Our Night Stands


I've been reading The Omnivore's Dilemma.

Oh.my.word.

This book gives me a headache and makes me say to Aaron every day, "GET ME A FARM!"

And I say it that bratty. Sort of like her. Except I don't want one of these. I want one of these.



The Discipline of Grace does not give me a headache. It's teaching me a lot of great stuff about God's grace. Who doesn't need to focus on that awhile?

Recently I read...


The Secret Life of Bees. Loved it. This book completely stole me away for a couple days. I could not put it down. "Little Mrs. Can't Sit Down" found myself in the rocking chair in my room reading every spare second I could find (and some of the seconds I sat reading were not spare seconds...like I totally should have been doing other things).

Aaron just finished reading the second book in Andrew Peterson's new series...



North or be Eaten.


Aaron LOVED...as in totally devoured the first book...



On the Edge of the Dark Sea of Darkness
.

In case you're not an Andrew Peterson junky, he's the guy that wrote Behold the Lamb...the Christmas CD we wish every home could have sitting on a shelf somewhere. It's that good.



After starting the second book of the Wingfeather Saga, Aaron threw himself on the bed next to me.

I was reading the Omnivore's Dilemma trying to figure out how many coupon classes Kirby and I would have to do to buy a farm in six months. Too many...that's the answer.

Aaron was silent for a second, thankfully letting me finish my paragraph (and my math).

I glanced over at my sweet husband...we made eye contact and that's when he admitted what I had expected all along...

After a long deep sigh he said..."I think I love Andrew Peterson."

I gently patted him and said, "I know Aaron. I know."

Right or wrong, it's comforting to know that the only person my husband would leave me for is Andrew Peterson.

How can one man be so incredibly gifted? When I get to heaven, I'm going to point to Andrew Peterson and say to God..."So what the heck was that all about?"

If you love to read...or know someone who does...you should get Andrew Peterson's book.

These are downright wonderful to read out loud to the whole family!

10 comments:

The Kramer Family said...

Awesome! Ominvore's Dilemma is excellent! We get new customers to our farm almost everyday that have said that they read this book and it changed them in regards to the foods they eat. It's a must read for anyone curious about the food they eat. We highly recommend it! You should totally follow it with his other book- In Defense of Food.

And how cool that Andrew P. has books you can read. Oh man! A book written by Andrew P.- Aaron is in total heaven.

Jamie R. said...

I'm reading The Omnivore's Dilemma right now, too. That combined with Animal, Vegetable, Miracle makes me feel I must move to a farm. And then I listen to Tim Keller sermons and feel I must move to New York City. Of course, neither one is on the immediate horizon, so I guess I'm looking for balance (a little hobby of mine.)

Rachel said...

Thanks for the book suggestions!

I didn't think I could read as many books as I actually can because I used to not have hours carved out of my day for nursing, and hence, just for reading!

I think Sherman wishes he had time to nurse.

Rachel

mrsrachel said...

I loved Andrew Peterson's first book too. I haven't gotten my hands on the second yet, but the first was so enjoyable, I can't wait for the second. Or to read them to Luke when he gets big enough!

Kirby said...

I am so glad to see that "my" book wasn't on your nightstand yet. I am getting that from you...maybe tomorrow when I get back in town...and Noel and I are going to spend the weekend together.

Oh, and I want the Omnivore's Dilemma, too...when I'm done with the first one.

D.O. said...

I've hugged Andrew Peterson.

Be jealous.

LD said...

When I get to heaven I'm going to point to you and ask the same question. Love you.

Rachel said...

I'm so glad you are reading the Omnivore's Dilemma. It really changed our way of eating.

The Wakefields said...

Wow, I didn't know about Andrew Peterson's new series! I will definitely pick up a copy of both books soon! I'm always looking for good, creative books to recommend to my students. I, too, loved Secret Life of Bees.

Leslie

jordan said...

Omnivore's Dilemma rocked our world. Soon after reading we bought a quarter of a grass fed cow and 8 chickens....


support group?