Monday, October 12, 2009

Food News


It's a school holiday today for my kids.

To celebrate, they will go to lunch with daddy, and some sweet girls are coming over to help me bake a ton of food today (we'll definitely eat while we work).

We're making 8 loaves of bread, 2 dozen banana muffins and 4 dozen pumpkin muffins.

I'm posting the recipes for the pumpkin muffins over at the Family Supper Club blog. Have you been checking it out? I'm learning so much!

Hopefully I can get some pictures today of the bread making. Then I can post pictures with the recipe. Fun.

Kirby gave me the banana muffin recipe that I make every Monday.

Muffins are great to make ahead, and then stick in the freezer. When my kids want a snack, they get one out of the freezer, stick it in the microwave for 30 seconds and wah-lah!

Banana Bread (I make it into muffins)
3/4 c. unsweet applesauce
1 c. sugar
2 eggs
1 3/4 c. flour
1 tsp. salt
3/4 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. cinnamon
1 c. mashed bananas (about 3)

Preheat oven to 350. Spray 9 x 5 loaf pan w/ cooking spray (or muffin pan). In one bowl combine applesauce, sugar, and eggs; beat until light and fluffy. In a separate bowl combine flour, salt, soda, powder, and cinnamon. Add to batter and blend well. Fold bananas into batter. Pour batter into pan(s).Bake for 60-65 minutes (if making bread) or 10-12 minutes if making muffins, or until toothpick comes clean.

Also...

I finally started putting fresh spinach leaves in my morning smoothie.

So many people told me that they put spinach in their smoothies and never taste it.

They were right. I can't tell it's in there at all. The smoothie does look super weird since it's fluorescent green.

Even Aaron was brave enough to try the new spinach version and agreed...he could not taste the spinach, but he didn't think he could drink something that looks like bug guts.

Here is the post where I described how we make smoothies over in these parts...plus there were so many other ideas in the comments section (adding spinach was one of them!)

4 comments:

kayceeb said...

Are these the same banana muffins you brought over to our house when I was on bed rest? If so, that makes me happy because those are yummy and I'm going to make some today!

Kaycee

Hendrick Family said...

Yes Kaycee!! Those are the ones. And this time, you can make a bunch so you can actually get to freeze some before Matt takes them out.

Heather

Anonymous said...

This may be a silly question, but what do you put your muffins in to freeze them? I was relieved to read your post & see that I'm not the only mom of 4 exhausted with the plethora of snacks consumed throughout the day. Gonna add muffins to my repitoire! Also, you peel your bananas & then freeze? I'm a novice & have been freezing mine w/ the peels on. :) I sure appreciate your blog!

Hendrick Family said...

I just fill a large freezer bag with the muffins, then take them out one at a time to eat as needed.

Yes. I peel the bananas then freeze them in a large freezer bag. Sometimes when I'm pulling one banana away from the rest they break. If you don't want that to happen you can flash freeze them first by peeling the bananas, putting them on a cookie sheet (don't let them touch) and put them in the freezer for about 20 min. Then take them off the cookie sheet and put them in one large ziplock bag.

That way, they freeze, but don't freeze to each other. I flash freeze all my other fruit for smoothies...just not my bananas...but you definitely can!

Heather