Sunday, July 19, 2009

Our Baby Turned One Today

As is tradition in the Hendrick house, Hudson woke up to Birthday biscuits.



He really liked them! He knows the sign for "more" and was definitely using it when he was done with his first biscuit.




We also got to meet with Hudson's birth family last week to celebrate Hudson's bd. They now read our blog, so they have given me permission to post pictures of their family and say their names.

Here are some great pictures from our little party at Fudruckers.


Mama Jasmine loving on Hudson



Mama Jasmine, Yvonne (Maw-G to Hudson), and Uncle Jordan



They love Hudson so much, and we're thankful that as Hudson grows up, he will know he is loved, not only by us, but by his first family as well. It makes my heart happy to know Hudson will always know the people who loved him enough to consider his needs as more important than their own. I'm always amazed by them, and forever grateful.

I sat in that restaurant, listening to our two families laughing, telling stories...the kids playing, and I thought of how good this is...how healthy.

For those of you who have followed our whole adoption story, you can understand, when I say that adoption, for all its beauty can be complex.

Adoption is incredible.

But I will say, this morning, as I was laying in bed...thinking, before any of the boys made their first peeps, my mind thought of Hudson...how today is his birthday, how much I love him, how blessed we are that he's ours, that we get the privilege of raising this little man.

I was thinking about how one year ago...I held his tiny body in my arms, and met him for the very first time.

I had waited so long.

My heart overflowed with joy and wonder...meeting Hudson was pure magic.

But I can't think of Hudson's birthday long, before my mind thinks of his first family.

One year ago today, they placed this precious baby in my arms, and began grieving.

Today we celebrate Hudson's life.

Hudson has taught me about the beauty of real life...about honesty...about love.

We love you, Hudson. All of us. What a happy boy you are. You bring such happiness to this home. We're silly in love with you little man!

And we love you, Jasmine, Yvonne and Jordan. I pray this day is a sweet one for you as you rest in God's plan, His goodness, and His way of taking everything broken, and making it "all better." We celebrate your sacrificial love for Hudson.

Thank you for giving us this child, and giving us so many things to celebrate today.

8 comments:

crystal said...

Heather- ok so this is the first time I have visited your blog since you sent me the link to it. I am so glad I stopped by today. This is beautiful. Hudson is beautiful, and y'alls story is beautiful. I love that little Hudson man and I love how God has used your family and Hudson to touch and change each other's lives. What an awesome experience to be a part of. I can't wait until God opens that door for us again someday.

The Kramer Family said...

Happy Birthday Hudson!

You are so precious to us. I can't help but look at you and see the fullness and goodness of Christ. You are such a blessing.

Love you,
Aunt Lynsey

LD said...

Wow I cannot believe it's been a year! What a crazy week that was... driving to Galveston in the middle of the night, the kids almost getting skin cancer while you were at the hospital, lots of Super Nintendo, and one sweet baby boy at the end of it! Thank you so much for letting me be a part of this incredible story. I love you guys!

Kirby said...

Happy Birthday precious boy!

We love you so much. You have changed us, too. We're thankful that we've gotten to have front row seats to your beautiful story. God has used little you to give us such a big heart for adoption. Hopefully we'll be holding a little Apel one day soon that will be added to our family through adoption. For now, we will keep watching and being thankful for what the Lord has done in your Mommy, Daddy, and brothers who so sweetly love you.

Landreneau Family said...

Happy Birthday, little man! I have learned so much through your family's journey to find you!

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday, Hudson! I love you! You have brought such amazing blessings and have BEEN blessed with an incredible, Jesus-lovin' family.

Melodi

thoughtsbyryan said...

Happy Birthday Huddo!

One day he will be able to read and will probably want to know who all commented on his first birthday post. So, I'll go ahead an leave my mark here so he'll know that his favorite person was thinking of him!

Love you little man!
Ryan

Bob & Judy said...

Hudson, you have the goofiest Grandma in the world. I called you to wish you happy birthday on Saturday, because I thought it was the 19th, but it was the 18th, which is not even your birthday!

And then on the right day, I couldn't get to the phone when you weren't asleep or in church.

So, very late, let Poppi and Grandma say how much we love you and how happy we are to be yours.