Tuesday, June 23, 2009

A Winner


I'm slowly trying all the recipes people have posted on this blog.

Mrs. Barbara Branan handed me several soup recipes at church to add to the recipe posts.

This one made me a hero. While eating it, Aaron said, "This one definitely needs to be added to the rotation."

Salsa Corn Chowder

2 Tbs. butter
1 1/2 cups finely chopped onions (you can use birdseye frozen chopped onions)
1 Tbs. chili powder
1 Tbs. flour
1 tsp. cumin
1 can chicken broth
2 cups salsa with beans and corn (Since I double this recipe, I buy 2 jars of Newman's Own with beans and corn. See note below.)
16 oz. pkg. frozen corn
1 cup milk
8 oz. pkg. of cream cheese, softened.

Saute butter and onions. (I didn't use the frozen kind. I just chopped up some fresh onions). Mix dry ingredients. Add to onions and butter. Don't let it scorch. Add chicken broth, salsa and corn. Bring to a boil. Remove from heat. Warm milk in the microwave. Add cream cheese and whip together (I used a beater). Spoon into hot soup and stir. Return to low heat until cheese is mixed in. Serve!

I varied it a little. Surprised?

First...I doubled it for obvious reasons. However, this soup fed my family, Aaron's brother, Kirby, Charlie, Asher and McKlayne (she eats as much as Kirby). We still had lots left over, so my family ate it again a couple nights later.

Second...I added some cooked chicken breast. I had some left over in the refrigerator from the night before. Plus, my sons and my husband don't think supper has happened unless meat is in the meal. If I served this soup without meat, they would have eaten it and then said, "That was a great appetizer mom. Now what's for dinner?"

Because I added the chicken, I also added 2 more tablespoons of flour, because I thought I might need to add more chicken broth later to compensate for the meat. I did not end up adding any more broth. So, maybe our version was a hair thicker than it was supposed to be. It was very thick and chowdery...which we LOVE.

Third...the first time we ate it, we ate cornbread with it. Delicious. The next time we ate it, we used tortilla chips. Still delicious.

Fourth...I added salt. Sorry. We like the stuff.

About the hot sauce:

Newman's Own makes a hot sauce with corn and black beans in it. It's $2.79 a jar. I almost always have a coupon for Newman's Own products. Forever, I thought the coupon was for pasta sauce only since it has a picture of pasta sauce on the coupon. But, after reading the fine print, it says it's good for pasta sauce or hot sauce! The coupons are always for 50 cents off. Kroger doubles them, so I get the organic, all natural hot sauce for $1.79 or less a jar.

Thanks Mrs. Barbara! I can't wait to try the rest of these!

6 comments:

The Williams Family said...

Does Hayden eat it also since it has milk and cream cheese? What do you feed him when ya'll eat "real" food? I always feel bad making us a new recipe which always has some kind of dairy in it b/c Jalyn gets the same old thing.
Carrie

Hendrick Family said...

No. He doesn't eat this soup. Most nights he eats what we eat, but sometimes he doesn't. So, instead of saying, "We're having Salsa Corn Chowder for dinner tonight" I say, "We're having soup." or..we're having pasta...

Hayden gets his version of those things. So, we're all eating soup, but ours was salsa corn chowder, and his was taco soup. When we eat white chicken chili, he eats regular chili. I don't cook twice. When I make something Hayden can eat for dinner (that we all eat too) I always freeze individual portions, so I can grab them on nights like these.

Next time I make this soup, I'm taking Hayden some out before I add the cream cheese and milk. I'll add a little soy milk to his bowl, and I think he's going to like it!

Heather

The Williams Family said...

I usually try to make Jalyn his own little version on the side, like lasagna is noodles with sauce in his own little dish....he doesn't like soy cheese so I don't even try to substitute now.

Good idea about freezing his own little portions of other meals...do you freeze them in "tupperware"? Do you defrost most things and then heat in the microwave or just cook it in the microwave?

Sorry, lots of questions, always looking for something new for the boys.
Carrie

Hendrick Family said...

I usually freeze the stuff in sandwich size freezer bags.

The things that are always in the freezer are:

chili, spaghetti sauce with meat, tortilla soup and taco soup.

Those are some of Hayden's favs.

I simply freeze them in the freezer bags, and then, while I'm cooking dinner, I take one out and either make some noodles to go with the spaghetti sauce, or set the bag in a small amount of warm water. I only defrost it enough to easily get it out of the bag, into a bowl and then heat it up in the microwave or in a small sauce pan on the stove.

Hope that helps!

Heather

Nicki said...

We tried this Salsa corn chowder last night and I thought it was amazing. I made the mistake of telling my husband I put a brick of cream cheese in it, and I think he felt a little guilty about that, but I had leftovers for lunch. YUMMY!

Hendrick Family said...

Good Nicki! I'm glad you liked it. It's one of our favs.

Heather