Friday, June 19, 2009

On Parenting:: Guest Post


From Judy (or Aaron's mom...or Grandma)...

________________________________________________________

I grow increasingly convinced that God values children much, much more than we do.


We value a clean floor more than children. We value free time more than children. We value the good dishes more than children. We value going out to eat or watching grown-up television shows more than we value children.

All the world, including the church, tells us that children are a bother, perhaps even a mistake. If you don’t believe that, introduce a family with many babies into your church and see how long it takes for someone to say, “They know what causes that, don’t they?”

We have let the world convince us that a large family is a curse, when the Bible clearly teaches that many children are a blessing, a sign of God’s great favor.

If I had the choice right now, there would be more children in my family. And I think I might be brave enough to let God decide how many.

I remember that it seemed a little frantic around my house when the children were little. I never got “it all” done, whatever “it all” is. There was not much privacy or money or free time. There was lots of laundry and garbage and stinky stuff. The boys were going to be 2 and 4 forever. It was never going to end.

Don’t get me wrong - I enjoyed my boys. But it was all colored by that worldly, selfish, hurry-up-and-grow-up attitude. And then it was over. I woke up one morning and they were almost as tall as me. The next day, or so it seemed, they didn’t even live with us. Now there is not much garbage or laundry or stinky stuff. And there is much more privacy and money and free time.

I’d trade it all in a heartbeat.

I would do laundry around the clock if it meant I could have one more day with my little boys in my home. I want the piles of blue jeans back. If my family had been larger, perhaps I would have grown in wisdom and learned to treasure the tiny victories and agonies of everyday. Perhaps not, but at least it would have lasted longer.

You think they’ll be little forever. You can’t imagine being able to handle – afford – care for another little life. But you can. And it will be over before you know it, with plenty of years left to use the good dishes.

4 comments:

hodgesgal said...

This is just what I needed to today. We have one preparing for his senior year, one moving to live with his other parent, a toddler and one on the way. I am so thankful for them all. I never thought CJ wold move, but he has decided to and though it hurts me to the bone, I know he has to do this for him. I am just cherishing the 12 years we had and knowing that his visits will be even more precious. My house is never clean, even an hour after I have "cleaned" it. My laundry is never finished even after I think "I just washed every stitch of clothing and towels we own" I can't make my family keep wearing the same clothes to keep my baskets empty. I won't even discuss the dishes or trash... UGH! The one thing I know though, is my kids will have been hugged and loved at some point during everyday, even if its through discipline... they spend time with us, everyday. As I get older and the boys get older, I am learning to slow down and just love them and enjoy them, no matter what. THANKS AGAIN!

The Kramer Family said...

This has to be one of my favorite things ever written. It speaks to me every single time I read these beautiful words.

Love you!

Laurie said...

Great reminder for this mama! I am the Laurie that won the Target gift cert, by the way. :) I have 5 young kids and even though life is crazy busy would like to adopt once more (our youngest twins are adopted). People must think I'm crazy. So I was glad to read this post telling me I'M NOT crazy!!

Courtney said...

I absolutely LOVE what she said. I don't think I've read anything that is so touching yet straight to the point. What a wise woman. I was just saying at lunch "couldn't we just eat on napkins so I don't have to wash all these dishes?" There is always so much work (and definately stinky stuff) but it's all definately worth it!