Thursday, November 27, 2008

Today I'm Thankful


I looked around

today

thankful

for familiar faces

for a place

a time

when we all meet

and eat

when we bring our

sweet potatoes

casseroles

oven mitts

our cornucopias of complexity

our pasts

trials

pain

memories

the good ones

the bad ones

set them in chairs

around a table

to see

share

hug

love

I looked around today

thankful

for the sounds of

laughter

silence

for what is said

for the things that aren't

the noise of

forks

knives

plates

spatulas

and

individual universes

colliding

over turkey and gravy

I looked around

today

Thankful

for life

how it can sting sometimes

and then

other times

feel so good, you have to swallow

hard

to keep the goodness from

falling

out of your eyes

Today I looked around

Thankful

for dirty baby hands

muddy shoes

cousins walking two by two

I looked around

today

Thankful

for this messy

marvelous

I do not deserve this

life

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

It was a great day!

Wonderful family and friends... some older and some very young.

You do deserve it... simply because you are the fantastic person you are. Everytime I see you I do not believe I could be prouder of you than I am ..... then next time, I'm proven wrong..... because I am even more proud at that moment to be your Father!

I love you and your wonderful family with all my heart.

It was a great Thanksgiving!

Dad

emily said...

beautiful.

i am so glad yall had a wonderful thanksgiving!