Friday, October 31, 2008

Happy Halloween!






Last night, before I went to bed, my sweet husband offered to let me sleep in a little this morning.

I quickly took him up on his offer.

All we're doing for school today is taking a couple tests.

So...I can sleep a little late.

BUT...

I woke up at the crack of dawn today and couldn't go back to sleep.

What was I thinking?

Who can sleep late on a day like today?

It's HALLOWEEN!

One day I'll grow up, but not today!

Last night, Aaron and the boys carved the pumpkin.

Sure, pumpkin carving can be pretty boring...but not at our house.

It's not boring.

And that's not because it's exciting.

It's traumatic.

Our kids HATE the insides of the pumpkin.

They want the pumpkin carved.

They want it on the front porch.

They want "fire in it."

But they don't want to be involved in the process at all.

Because it's funny (and we're mature) we make them help...which leads to much whining...and even crying.

See...not boring.

Not really fun either...

Something else entirely.

The kids moan, groan, practically cry when we MAKE them come help.

I kept waiting for one of the neighbors to come over to see what all the fuss was about.

"Why are our kids crying? Oh...we're just being a FUN FAMILY over here, carving a pumpkin together, having a charming time. In case you didn't know, this is what it looks like to create wonderful memories for your children. Happy Halloween to you, too lady."

Every year I wonder, "Why do we do this? They hate this."

Then I remember why we do it...

Because they beg us to do it, then they change their minds as soon as they see inside the pumpkin.


This was as close as we could get Ashton to the pumpkin. Really. We threatened him and everything. He's our cleanest child. He was horrified that Aaron was putting his hand inside the gooey nastiness.


Hayden normally lives for a mess. Just look at his shirt any time you see him. It's usually covered in yuck. HOWEVER...he almost threw up...and I'm not joking...his eyes got all watery and he started gagging. Not because of the feel, he said...because of the smell.


Anson was miserable too. He's our other clean freak. You will never see food on his shirt. Never ever. Good thing we learned a long time ago to laugh at our kids.


And to horrify them. Have I mentioned in a while that Aaron is the most precious dad ever? He knows all the secret ways to get a crazy rise out of the boys. They think he's pretty spectacular. I love that they really believe everything he says. They totally thought their dad was going to eat that goo!


Look at Aaron's masterpiece.

Great job, honey!

The boys love their pumpkin.

Happy Halloween from the Hendricks!

3 comments:

Feldman Family said...

that is hilarious!! i am laughing b/c we have almost the same thing at our house...only it's Megan! tyler & emma literally play in the pumpkin goo. emma wanted to put her feet in it! megan sits & watches...then offers to go inside to "wash the seeds" so we can roast them (she only picked the ones without goo on them to wash)... she could do all together without pumpkin goo! (she is so MINE)! oh...and chris did eat pumpkin nastiness to gross the kids out..ughhhh...what he did was gross me out. i'm with hayden on the gag thing :)

Hendrick Family said...

Chris definitely wins. My stomach started hurting just READING that he ate that gunk.

Gross! Slap him in the arm for me and say, "Chris!"

Heather

hodgesgal said...

wow, we had that too! Our 2 year old begged us to carve his "punkin" and CJ was begging even at 11. But, when it came time to clean it out, who had to do it? MOM! My husband was about to gag. Hollister lost interest and left. We MADE CJ stick around. But, when it was time to light it up, everyone was right there. Where was mom? behind the camera! My picture is with the goo, lucky me! Hollister even ate beside the lit pumpkin last night. It was our bribe to get him to eat dinner! How sad is that? happy halloween everyone