Thursday, October 30, 2008

Soup and Tattoos


Tomato Basil Soup

3 tbsp. Butter
1/4 c. Heavy Whipping Cream
1 can Diced Tomatoes with basil, oregano, and garlic
fresh basil, if you have some

I triple this recipe so we'll have enough for our family and a little left over for lunch the next day.

Melt the butter in a large pot on low to medium heat. Puree the can of diced tomatoes in a blender, and pour the tomatoes in the pot. Add the whipping cream, and stir everything together. Add salt, pepper, and basil to taste. I also add some onion and garlic powder.

I've been adding fresh basil. Normally, I'm not that cool. But, we're renting the Winslow's house right now, which means, I guess we're also renting their amazing herb garden. I feel so stinkin' gourmet walking outside and picking leaves off of plants, and then coming back inside and putting them in our food. Makes me want to be a hippy...which always leads to me wanting a tattoo.

I know...that's weird, the strangest things are connected to tattoos in my mind.

Like homemade soap. If I see it or smell it, I start imagining myself as a soap maker. When I'm an imaginary soap maker, I ALWAYS have a tattoo on my arm.

I could never have a real life tattoo though. I'm WAY too flaky for that. I could never ever commit to something that serious, but I genuinely appreciate people who can. When I see people who have tattoos, I quietly admire them. I think, "You have something I don't have...and it's not just that tattoo. It's commitment."

I know, a week (or maybe a day) after I got a tattoo, I would wake up, and hate it altogether, or hate the design I had chosen. Then I'd have to cut my arm off. Dang.

Back to the soup...

Serve it hot.

AND

Serve it with grilled cheese sandwiches.

I hope I never outgrow the love for grilled cheese sandwiches.

Grilled cheese sandwiches are a sweet, sweet part of life.

When I see God, I might thank Him for making grilled cheese sandwiches. I'm sure He hasn't been adequately thanked for those.

There's something downright lovely about eating grilled cheese sandwiches and hot soup with your family on a cold day. The combination of my warm belly, cheesy, buttery bread, and Aaron and these boys talking and laughing over dinner...I'm overcome with peace and love and sincere contentment.

Some dinners are just a tad bit more magical than others. This is one of those.

10 comments:

Mrs. H. said...

Hi Heather,
Tomato soup and grilled cheese is one my very favorties, too! :-)
Thank you for this yummy sounding recipe. Tomato soup is actually on our menu tonight - except Campbell's is preparing it. ;-) I think I will be trying your homemade kind soon!
I have enjoyed reading your blog the past few weeks. You are such a good writer. You should write a book! :-)
Glad that you all are feeling better at your house.
Laurie :-) aka "Mrs. H." ;-)

Ricci said...

I think it's specifically the combination of tomato soup and grilled cheese. When Josh and I have dinner together those two foods are frequently invited.

Not to discredit the regular bread and kraft singles, but the best, best, BEST grilled cheese I've ever been told about used sourdough bread and fresh mozzarella cheese. (You know... that weird kind they keep in the olive bar at HEB that you just want to sit and play with?)

Who would have thought there were degrees of grilled cheese?! I mean, if we really started thinking about it, I feel like there is a whole wide world of bread and cheese combos that have never been considered...

Hendrick Family said...

Laurie...you may never go back to Campbells again if you make this recipe!

But, if you do like Campbells soup, then make sure you puree the tomatoes for a good while. The longer you do it, the smoother the soup is.

And RICCI!

I'm laughing.

There are a few places where I secretly wish I could be...alone...with no one watching me.

I'll never share my whole list. It would be highly disturbing to people, I'm sure.

But, one of the places is HEB.

I want to play around with those olives...to smell them, to touch them with the tip of my tongue...to hide them behind boxes of macaroni and hamburger helper...

I don't know how I would ever be allowed to be in an HEB alone, though...so I may never get to do this.

If I qualified for the Make a Wish Foundation, do you think they would think it was odd that being alone in HEB was my wish?

Heather

Landreneau Family said...

Yummo. My mouth is watering. Have you ever tried the La Madeleine tomato soup? It has cream cheese!

Cream of Tomato Soup

1 medium, chopped sweet onion
2 cloves chopped of garlic
2 TBSP butter
2 cans diced tomatoes, undrained - 14 1/2 oz cans
2 large cans tomato puree
1 c. milk
2 tsp minced fresh rosemary
2 tsp dried basil (or fresh if you have it)
1/2 - 1 tsp paprika
8 oz cubed cream cheese

-Saute onions in butter in a soup pot, until tender
- Add the garlic and gently saute until soft.
- Stir in everything else EXCEPT cream cheese.
- Bring to a boil, then reduce heat, cover and simmer for 10 minutes.
-Puree the whole mixture, half the mixture or none of it, depending on preference
- Add cream cheese, stirring until melted.
- Serve immediately.

Makes approx 2 quarts, or 8 servings

And, my favorite grilled cheese for special occasions:

THE ULTIMATE GRILLED CHEESE

1 package (3 oz.) cream cheese, softened
¾ cup mayonnaise
1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
½ teaspoon garlic powder
1/8 teaspoon seasoned salt
10 slices Italian bread (½ inch thick)
2 tablespoons butter, softened

In a mixing bowl, beat cream cheese and mayonnaise until smooth. Stir in cheeses, garlic powder and salt. Spread five slices of bread with cheese mixture, about 1/3 cup on each. Top with remaining bread. Butter the outsides of sandwiches; cook in a large skillet over medium heat until golden brown on both sides.

My love handles are expanding just typing that!

Aimee

Ricci said...

It wouldn't be any weirder than people wanting to spend the day with Michael Jackson in my book.

Maybe, we could coordinate a trip to HEB. We'll get walkie talkies and have cool code names that are olive bar related like "Kalamata" and "Pesto". I'll stand behind the sushi bar and suddenly cause a HUGE distraction in which I try a piece of sushi and "choke" on some of the noki. THEN, while everyone is focused on me, you can play in the olive bar!! (It's no Make a Wish All Day Palooza, but I could buy you 3 minutes.)

Get back to me. Pesto out.

Joshua said...

1. I love this post. As Ricci already stated tomato soup and grilled cheese are frequent visitors at dinner.

2.I hate this post. My stomach is now growling and my mouth is watering all over the computers at work and I still have an hour and a half at least before I get to go get food. Plus now they might fire me since I got saliva all over the computer.


but mostly I love it. I was thinking chicken for dinner. but not anymore.

Hendrick Family said...

Aimee...

I feel like such an uncultured grilled cheese maker. I'm a white trash grilled cheese maker.

This sounds so yum.

And two recipes with cream cheese today on my blog?

This is making me do the Turk dance.

Heather

Charlie's MOM said...

I love the soup comments you made, but the tattoo talk is hilarious. Matt and my sister have a few but I could never bring myself to that level of commitment. I'd look down one day and go, "dang, they don't make nice pink erasers for this!"

I have all the ingredients for the soup at the house...it will be happening soon. :)S

texasmcvays said...

Tomato basil soup is one of my favorite recipes. I use a Le Madeline recipe which is a little more simple then the one the L family posted. Le Madeline is one of my favorite recipes We grow basil and it adds so much to the taste of the soup. We serve it with grilled cheese sandwhiches too! Though I am not qualified to say I am a white trash grilled cheese maker...I do use plain white bread instead of wheat! I have made it all fancy but no one cared except for me! So back to the Great Value Bread for me. Tonight we are have old fashioned beef stew with potato dumplings from one of my moms cookbooks from the 60's. It's yummy...
See you soon
K

Sarah Shalley said...

Heather, I totally get the tattoo thing. I felt the SAME WAY! But, life happens and people close to your heart tragically die...that's the only way I could sit there, needle to my skin and permanently remind myself of the love our family shares. PLUS, my sistas and mama got one too! :) Check them out if you haven't already - http://sarahshalley.blogspot.com/2008/09/marked-lives-marked-hearts-marked.html

Love ya!