Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Egg Salad...It's not just for grannies anymore

Don't forget...cool concert tomorrow night!
Make plans to come!


It's not new news that I, Heather Hendrick am disgustingly in love with cream cheese*.

I love it.

Adore it.

If today were my birthday, I'd ask Aaron if I could lock myself in my room and watch Lost all day while licking cream cheese.

SO...

Even though egg salad makes me think of some old lady holding a sandwich with her liver spotted hands...chewing the mushy substance with no teeth...when I heard that Jenn's egg salad had cream cheese in it...I'm sorry...but I was like....

"Move over granny**...give me some of dat sandwich."

It was DIVINE!


Jenn's egg salad recipe is so good it will make you want to slap your granny...or any granny really.

8 boiled eggs
1 block of cream cheese
1/4 onion
1 tablespoon and then 1 teaspoon spicy mustard
salt and pepper to taste
paprika

While your eggs are boiling, put cream cheese in a bowl to soften. Do you know if you boil eggs with salt in the water, they are WAY easier to peel? They are! I learned that trick when I waitressed at a restaurant in the Garden District. I won't say the name of the restaurant, because it will make my husband say something obscene...sorry honey...not today.

Peel eggs. Add them to the bowl.

Chop onion super tiny (I use my handy-dandy kitchen aid hand chopper). Add onions to the bowl.

Smash the cream cheese, the eggs and the onion together (I use a potato masher).

Add mustard, salt, pepper to taste. I add a lot, because I like salt and pepper and thus, taste. Then add paprika. I would say add paprika to taste, but I'm sorry...I'm convinced paprika is a placebo ingredient. So, add paprika for visual stimulation. Even though I can't taste it, I still add it...because it makes me feel fancy...and it makes me feel like a wise old granny.

Stir

Then, put it in the refrigerator for a couple hours. Honestly...I never make it in time to leave it in the refrigerator for a couple of hours before lunch. So, on the first day, I eat a luke-warm egg salad sandwich. It's good...but the next day...oh egg sac...this stuff has turned into a huge bowl of egg cheesecake like material that is even MORE to die for than the day before.

With my sandwich, I LOVE to eat Texas Brand Jalepeno chips and cherry tomatoes.

Yum!

This stuff smells like butt...but it's SO GOOD.

I've also just eaten two other cream cheese yummy foods recently. I'm going to beg Kari and Kirby to send me the recipes.

*Two of my other cream cheese favs:

ITALIAN CASSEROLE

This is from Ashley Garratt. It's so yum.

1 pound of beef-cooked (I season with salt, pepper, onion salt and garlic powder)
2 Cups shredded cheddar cheese
1 and 1/2 block of cream cheese
1 big jar spaghetti sauce
1 pkg. large shell noodles or penne noodles cooked

Mix cooked noodles and cream cheese together while noodles are hot. Place in greased 9x13 baking dish. Cook beef, mix in sauce. Por mixture on top of noodle cream cheese mixture. Top with shredded cheese. Bake at 350 for 25-30 minutes.

HOPE GROUP DESSERT

2 cans crescent rolls
2 - 8 oz. cream cheese, softened
1 1/2 cups sugar
1 tsp. vanilla
1/4 cup butter, melted
1 tsp. cinnamon

Spread one of the cans of rolls in bottom of ungreased 9X13 dish - pressing seams together. Then mix both pkgs. of cream cheese, 1 cup sugar, and vanilla well and spread over the rolls. Next, spread the other can of rolls over cream cheese mix pressing seams together. Pour melted butter over rolls. Sprinkle remaining sugar and cinnamon. Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes.

Also good with apple, blueberry or strawberry pie filling added on top of the cream cheese mixture, before using the top layer of crescent rolls. If you use apples, slice them thin before using.


**No grannies that I know of were hurt during the writing of this post.

16 comments:

Landreneau Family said...

I totally share the cream cheese love. I like to take a chunk of it, dip it in sugar, and then eat it. YUM!

I love egg salad, but I've never had it with cream cheese. I will definitely give it a try. I make that Italian casserole all the time since you posted it on your blog forever ago.

The McDons said...

No much of a fan of cream cheese, however, I might be after reading those recipes! Thanks for sharing! I don't like to cook with recipes either! :)

Kirby said...

Wait...Thursday or Friday night?

I am dying to taste this egg salad with cream cheese!

Hendrick Family said...

Woops...

Thursday night.

AND...Kirby...

I want your recipe with the biscuits and cream cheese.

Yum!

Amanda said...

I just have to say that I read this, and the first thing that came into my mind was "That is one of the reasons I love Jenn so much...she follows the rules/directions." I just wanted to say how much I love my amazing mentor for that!!

Jennifer Bacak said...

I love our dictated conversations on your blog.
They are eerily accurate.
I'm so going to make the recipe of Ashley's. That sounds good.
Save me some egg salad next time you make it.
Oh, and I like the egg salad on crossaints. Who wouldn't?
jenn

The Kramer Family said...

That egg salad sounds fantastic. Mainly because I hate the other with mayo in it! Yuck!

We have plenty of eggs to go around. I can see Farmer Jason shuttering as I mix cream cheese with his organic eggs. Ha!

Love ya!

Becca said...

Cream cheese is amazing. My family is a big fan of cream cheese! I have a really good cream cheese breakfast item if you would like it. It is pretty amazing! :)

pbmciver said...

Heather you are too funny! I too love cream cheese and put it in my chicken salad (yummy) love that stuff. Your post has made me crave that so now I will probably have to make it tonight, lol. I have never had an egg salad sandwhich but it sounds pretty much like a chicken salad minus the chicken. I also put chopped onions and dill relish in mine.

Oh, I agree about putting salt in your water while boiling eggs. I have done that since I was in my early 20's.

Kathryn, Michael & Alex said...

Cream cheese is the BEST!!

I make Italian casserole at least once a week...everyone loves it.

The breakfast soupaipillas should come with a warning label they are so sweet...but so good.

Kari said...

No begging necessary! :>)

It's simple!
1 block of cream cheese
2 pkg. croissants
1 thingy of sausage

Brown sausage and drain
Soften cream cheese and combine with cooked sausage
Use 1 pkg of croissants and layout entire layer to be 1 piece.
Spread sausage and cream cheese mix over the criossant, leaving 1/2 in along edges
Use other package of croissant and spread out to one piece and lay on top of sausage mix.
Use your fingers to press both croissant dough pieces together to seal.
Cook according to the directions on the croissants. I think it is 375 for 12 or so min.

I have no idea if that all makes sense!
It is EASY and Yummo!

pbmciver said...

I guess my age is showing - I didn't see where you put onion in, lol. And I put mayo in my chicken salad where you put the mustard in your egg salad.

Emily said...

Whenever wonderful women who have been cooking longer than me (longer than 7 months) post recipes I get this crazy excited feeling inside that makes me want to run around the room in victory. Ya'll get to prove a recipe is good and then I get to follow the directions...I LOVE that! Let me tell you, wading through all the recipes out there (because I am a cook book lover, follower, and reader) is hard and frustrating stuff. Only at most, half of the recicpes turn out amazing. So half the time I'm severely disappointed and tempted to just stop cooking. But then again...I'm pregnant and pretty hungry so that isn't really an option. Thanks for posting...I went through and looked at everything you tagged under recipes and am eager to try them all!

Emily

Heather in Katy said...

Okay, I have a cream cheese recipe for you that is oh so yummy!! We bring it to all of our mommy gatherings and to every MOPS meeting!!
Sausage Bread
1 lb. hot breakfast sausage
1 block cream cheese
2 can crescent rolls

Cook and crumble the sausage, add cream cheese and stir until it is an ooey gooey mess. Spread 1 can of crescent rolls on a large cookie sheet into a big rectangle, cover with the sausage/cream cheese goodness, cover with the other can of crescent rolls and bake for 15 minutes (more or less) at 350 degrees. ENJOY!!

Heather in Katy said...

Okay, if I would have read all of the comments I would have realized that someone already gave you the sausage bread recipe but I got so excited to share that I got ahead of myself!! Cream cheese makes me too excited I guess. Hehe!!

Rachel said...

Here's my favorite cream cheese recipe:

Megan's Enchiladas
1/2 block cream cheese
1-2 chicken breasts, cut into small pieces and cooked
1 small jar of diced green chilies
most of a can of green enchilada sauce
some colby jack cheese
good, made-in-the-store tortillas (8-10)

Mix cooked chicken with softened cream cheese and chilies. Fill tortillas and lay in pan. Dump some green sauce on top (you don't want too much, that stuff has some kick). Top with cheese. Bake at 350 with some foil on top for about 20-25 minutes, then take the foil off and bake a few more minutes.

I guess I don't always measure that much either, though I didn't realize it until now.