Sunday, July 13, 2008

When your kids grow up

We have officially moved past the preschool stage in our home.

I can tell for many reasons.

Diapers are never on my grocery list.

No one drinks out of sippy cups.

I can sleep in on Saturday mornings because it's Pop Tart Saturday, which means, my kids are all old enough to wake up, eat a pop tart and watch cartoons until Aaron and I make our way out of the bed.

I miss my babies being babies, but it has been fun to share with them some things that were a part of our growing up years.

Aaron hates that Anson loves these people...


They drive Aaron crazy, but Anson talks about them like they are real.

Remember, our kids don't get a whole lot of TV time (summer has been more lax) but wow, you would think the Tanners lived next door to us or something.

We'll be driving around and Anson will say, "You want to know something funny Uncle Joey said?"

Then, we got the kids to fall in love with these people...

It didn't take long. Who can watch this show and not love this family?

Every single time I watch this show, I wish I were like Mrs. Huxtable. She's so sweet to her husband and her kids. I love how much they love each other, and how patient she is with her children.

The most recent show we've exposed our kids to is...

Family Matters

Can you be an American and not know who Steve Erkel is?

Maybe, but I don't think anyone should try it.

Today, I remembered one of my all time favorite shows EVER. I was still in love with this family even after I was married! I would tape this show and watch it every afternoon.

I loved the Torkelsons.

I still think of them and wonder what ever happened to sweet Kirby Scroggins.

I'm going to try and find this show on DVD to buy for my kids.

If you have never seen it, you will LOVE it. We will share with you!

I'm not saying kids should watch TV all the time. We don't let them watch all these shows every day, but I love sharing with them the shows I loved growing up. It's hard to believe that I have kids this old, who love shows that aren't animated.

Have I said often enough that one minute kids are tiny and the next minute they are watching the Cosby Show?

There are times when I'm sad that the baby moments have melted away. But then I look around at my boys piled up on my lap, sprawled out on the couch in the living room, laughing at Steve Erkel and I think...

I sure do love ALL their stages.

I miss those fat baby thighs, and nursing my babies...but there are sweet blessings in watching my sons grow up.

6 comments:

Hi. My name is Alanna. said...

I have to say I laughed out loud when I read that you wanted to be Mrs. Huxtable - who was "so patient with her kids." That cracked me up!! I still wanna be Mrs. Huxtable, but I never thought she was patient with her kids. The fact that she seemed a hair impatient but always interested in really solving problems and deeply loved her kids (which I thought made her that hair impatient) is what I loved about her most I think. I can relate to her so much. I remember the episode where Vanessa snuck out to go to that concert to have (as Mrs. Huxtable termed it) "BIG FUN" in Baltimore. She and Cliff put the couch right in front of the front door so they could "greet" Vanessa when she got home. Cliff had to hold her back from about pullin Vanessa's hair out. Cracks me up even more now that I'm a parent and COMPLETELY understand. And all Cliff's talks with the "boys" that came by. And Kenny - oh I love Kenny (and Peter too - always runnin out of the house). The Cosby Show has to be the greatest show ever made. We should have a "Cosby Night" where everyone dresses up like someone from the show and re-enact some of our favorite scenes and then watch several. How fun would that be?! (Of course we might be the only 2 people there, but it'd still be fun. LOL!)

I'm sorry to say I have no idea who the Torkelsons are. You'll have to fill me in. I know nothing on this one. But it sounds fun.

I loved "Family Ties" and "Growing Pains" too. And secretly - I know it's old - but I STILL watch "The Andy Griffith Show" - and sometimes I make the kids watch it too!! Shhhhh.... ;)

~Wilkerson Family~ said...

Ahhh........fat baby thighs! I love Hadley's fat little thighs.

Anonymous said...

Amen! I love every stage with our kids. There is something wonderful about each stage. I actually took my 3 oldest boys to a 10 p.m. movie the other night! We had SO much fun! I looked around as we entered the theater and realized, "I am almost the shortest one in the family now." The two boys who are not taller than me yet are only about 2 inches away from that. Crazy.

We don't have cable anymore, but we have Sky Angel, so the kids have gotten hooked on watching old episodes of Daniel Boone with their dad. Because of that, when we renamed our soon-to-be-adopted son Samuel Jude, Camille was convinced it was Samuel Boone! Cute.

I desperately miss Gilligan's Island. I was a Brady Bunch and Gilligan's Island fanatic. I've never even seen reruns of it since I've been an adult. I loved The Cosby Show. I REALLY REALLY loved a show called Family Affair when I was little. All of us little girls had to have a Mrs. Beasley doll like the girl in that show. I'm so old. I loved Happy Days - which I would NOT let my kids watch! I loved Full House, as do my kids. O.K., just to really date myself and to see if anyone in blog world shares this with me, I loved two Saturday morning shows called "H.R. Puff 'n Stuff" and "The Bug-a-loos." They were not animated, but were people in costumes. I know that H.R. Puff 'n Stuff was shown on Nick at Night occasionally, but I've never met anyone who knew The Bug-a-loos.

Good times.

Melodi

thoughtsbyryan said...

Ha... I have to side with Aaron on hating the Full House bit. When I was staying with you guys I always dreaded when Anson had TV time! (not that I don't love that kid)... but, that show annoys me like nobody's business. And it really disturbs me that it is perpetuating itself on another generation of kids. I kind of thought it would be like America's Funniest Home Videos with Bob Saget and just fade quietly and quickly from our memories. Oh how naive we can be...

But, the one show I am perfectly OK with Anson falling in love with is Family Matters. I was moderately addicted to that show as a kid as well. It came on right after Saved By The Bell... Why isn't Anson watching that show?!?! Well... I don't know if it would really be teaching him good things anyway.

It's fun to watch those kids grow up and do mature things like watch Full House.

The Houstons said...

You know it makes me sad that they just don't make shows like they used to. Jon and I were discussing this the other day. It's hard to find a show like those on now. If you find one, let me know...because it seems that my TV watching days have become almost none since I can't really find anything clean and decent to watch...Especially now that we have Noah...I think I will just have to buy Full House, Family Matters, The Cosbys...and all the other good ones:) Looking back on those days when I watched them after school just brings a sweet smile to my face...and Im not the least bit embarassed 'neither...those kids were so cool!

D.O. said...

I can imagine few moments that would make me prouder than laughing together with my offspring at some hilarity Cliff Huxtable brought forth on his show.

Isn't it funny that the show was called "The Cosby Show" but nobody's character name was Cosby?

(if that was already addressed in previous comments, my apologies... they're kinda long)