Wednesday, November 21, 2007

Waiting


Proverbs 19:21

Many plans are in a man's mind, but it is the Lord's purpose for him that will stand.

This morning I had a sweet time of prayer and Bible Study with the kids. We sat down at the same time we knew the precious birthmother would be sitting down looking at our family's profile.

I told the boys...

"The Bible says that we can make all the plans we want to, but it's only the Lord's plans for our life that will actually happen. Right now, there is a birthmother looking at our profile. Right now, my plan would be for her to pick us today. If it were up to me, we would find out today if these are the babies we are supposed to be waiting on. That's my plan. But does that mean she will decide today?"

"No," they said.

Anson added, "But I want her to."

"I know. I do too," I said. "My plan would be for her to pick us and for us to know today that we were chosen. But, that may not happen. As a matter of fact, it may be God's plan that she not pick us at all. It may not be God's plan for us to have these babies. That's when we have to trust that the Lord is right. Only His plans for our life prevail. His plans are the only plans that matter."

Then I said, "And if she does pick us, then my plan would be to get this house ready for twins. My plan would be to get all excited, anticipating their arrival, but does that mean the babies are going to come to our house even if we are picked?"

"No," they said.

"No. It doesn't," I said. "The truth is, God may have a different plan. God's plan may be that the mother decides to keep her babies even after our family has made plans to be the ones who raise them. Does that make it easy to trust God's plan?"

"No," they said.

We had such a great talk about how God knows more than we know. His plans are better. His plans are the only ones we want. But I told them how hard that is for me right now. They said it was hard for them too.

So we prayed.

There is something about hearing my kids talk to God that always moves me. But today, hearing them pray with such honesty and trust was beautiful and just what my heart needed to hear.

God has heard our cry.

"Bring us a baby, Lord...but we trust you, even though it's hard. We would much rather you plan the way we plan. We wish our plans were your plans. And yet, that scares us to death, because we don't want to want a plan that is not yours."

That was at 10:00 this morning.

Right now, it's 1:15 in the afternoon, and I hate how much I think I might die from not knowing.

Now, it's 2:22 p.m. We finally lost our minds. We called AND emailed Cindy Seay. We couldn't wait another second! Poor Cindy!

We found out that the birthmother did not get to come in today because her OB appointment was moved up this morning.

We may find out on Saturday.

Thank you all for praying.

Today is a GOOD picture of how the Hendrick house will live for awhile...asking God for strength during the wait.

6 comments:

Landreneau Family said...

I guess I am not good at waiting either because I was on the edge of my seat reading this whole post, dying to get to the end, hoping for some news!

We're still praying!

lisasmith said...

Heather,

Julia and I are making the pumpkin bread on your yum post and praying for your family and all its future members. We've been able to have a wonderful discussion about adoption, how God adopts us and how his plan looks different than ours. Thanks.

HAPPY THANKSGIVING!

Grandma said...

At my desk, in the car, washing dishes, getting things ready for Thanksgiving dinner, my concentration has been leaking away all day, sneaking off to your house. Love you all. Praying with you.

Holly said...

Your thought process reminds me so much of mine when asked to wait. Here is a link to a poem by Russell Kelfer that I posted:
http://hollymark.wordpress.com/2007/11/13/wait/

And it turns out that God's answer to something I really wanted was "no." So here was what I posted after that... if it can be any encouragement!
http://hollymark.wordpress.com/2007/11/19/when-god-says-no/

God bless your family!
-Holly your random house visitor :)

Melodi said...

You know I know this feeling well...waiting...it's definitely an opportunity. Use this time to do just what you were doing yesterday, praying with your kids, talking to the Lord, praying for that birthmom, and SLEEPING!!!!! Without interruption!! :)

Kelly said...

i'm praying heather!

"Hope deferred makes the heart sick, but a longing fulfilled is a tree of life. " Prov. 13:12

I love you guys. You are such an encouragement to me. Thanks for your honesty and have a GREAT Thanksgiving-we have so much to be thankful for!