Sunday, November 18, 2007

Signed, Sealed, Delivered


There was a time in my life when unbelief was my constant companion.

I still doubt.

Don't get me wrong.

But now, things are different because I am aware that my doubt stems from the fact that I'm foolish and weak, not because God deserves it.

Things are different because of one thing...

I read the whole Bible.

Every single page.

Even Leviticus.

I almost died.

But, reading the whole thing changed me.

From a writing stand point, I could not ignore how incredible it was that different men wrote this, over such a span of time, and yet the books are so consistent. Same imagery. Same main idea. Same message.

Suddenly it was harder to believe that so many different men could write something so consistent than it was to believe God was behind this enormous endeavor.

For the first time in my life, I realized there is no plan B or C in the Bible.

From beginning to end...it's all one, huge plan of love, warning and redemption.

I remember a time in my life when I would think, "How can all this be real?"

Now, although I'm silly and doubt God in the details of my life, after reading the entire book, I can't deny that everything He has ever said has been true.

He fulfilled every prophecy about Himself.

AND

I have fulfilled every prophecy about myself.

Every single one of us are so different from one another.

We have our own quirks, our own preferences, our own goals, our own ideas...

But we are ONE in the ways that we're broken.

Long ago, before my "issues" were ever born, He predicted every hole in my soul...and every single day, when I choose to do things my way, those prophesies are faithfully fulfilled.

He is who He said He is.

And I am who He said I would be.

This CD is so powerful and amazing. The songs tell a beautiful story.

6 comments:

D.O. said...

Heather highly recommends that you get this album, but I'll go ahead and say what she means (and what I mean with all I am):

I DEMAND that you get this CD.

It is one of the very small handful of albums that I consider to be an epic. It's unbelievable.

That said, Heather, I must beg to differ on the fact that he wrote the songs to stand alone... I just don't think it works that way. Not this album.

Hendrick Family said...

See...

Listen to D.O.

And I don't mean the individual songs are meant to stand alone. I mean that he wrote these songs to be performed, from beginning to end with no spoken words between them.

That just won't work for an audience, like a church, where people come with varying degrees of Old Testament understanding.

So we added words.

Heather

D.O. said...

Oh... right...

Well in that case...

Everyone MUST buy this CD.

Amanda said...

Heather, I HIGHLY recommend Ruth Bell Graham's book One Wintry Night. It also tells the Christmas story. Starting at the beginning, the VERY beginning. It is such a beautiful story and something I think everyone should own!! You can buy it on Amazon for super cheap and you would really love it. I do!

Matt and Sarah Pitts said...

THAT IS MY FAVORITE CD OF ALL TIME!!! Truly, wonderful. I still cry in the song "Labor of Love" about how the baby in Mary's womb was "the Maker of the moon, He was the Author of the faith, that could make the mountains move..."

Matt and Sarah Pitts said...

Also, it's good to have you back, Heather. I still checked your blog 5 times a day, even though I knew you were in a closet, writing your heart out.