Monday, November 19, 2007

Pumpkin Yum


Last Christmas, I made cookbooks for my friends and family. I asked them to send me their favorite recipes that they actually USE. Then I compiled them to give as gifts. This year I have LOVED cooking my friend's and family's favorite dishes in my own kitchen. There' s something sweet about that! I asked them to write the recipes casually, meaning...write how you talk. They did! I can literally HEAR them saying the words to me as I read them. I also asked them to include any special memories about those recipes as well. This is something I will treasure forever.

Since it's Thanksgiving week, I thought I would share my favorite pumpkin recipes from the cookbook. I have actually made and eaten all of these...and think they are fantastic. I LOVE these recipes because they taste great, but also because they make my house smell like Thanksgiving. I walk in and just want to soak up the sweetness of my home.


Pumpkin Bread
From Michele Smith

3 cups flour
3 cups sugar
1 cup shortening
3 eggs
1 can pumpkin
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. cinnamon (heaping)
1 tsp. cloves (heaping)
1 tsp. nutmeg (heaping)
1/4 tsp. salt

Garrett and I make this every year. He will not let anyone else in the kitchen. I can remember making this with my great grandmother. It's been in my family forever!! Mix shortening, eggs and pumpkin in large bowl. In another bowl, mix all dry ingredients. Then add a little at a time to the liquid ingredients until all is mixed well. Put in loaf pan and bake at 350 for 35-45 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean.

Pumpkin Muffins
From Melodi Henry

2 1/2 c. sugar
8 oz. pkg. of cream cheese
1/2 c. margarine
4 eggs
16 oz. can of pumpkin
3 1/2 c. flour
2 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. salt
1 tsp. cinnamon
1/2 tsp. baking powder
1/4 tsp. ground cloves
1 c. nuts (opt)

Combine sugar, softened cream cheese, and softened margarine, mixing until well blended. Add eggs one at a time, mixing well after each addition. Blend in pumpkin. Add combined dry ingredients, mixing just until moistened. Fold in nuts. Pour into greased and floured muffin pans. Bake at 350 for 20-25 minutes. (hint: I've tried using whole wheat flour, but it truly made a bad difference in taste.)



Pumpkin Roll

From Bethan Rogers

3 eggs
1 cup sugar
2/3 cup canned pumpkin
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
3/4 cup flour

Filling
1 (8 oz.) package cream cheese, softened
4 T butter, softened
1 cup powdered sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla

In a large bowl, beat eggs and sugar. Beat in remaining cake ingredients. Grease a 10"x15" jelly roll pan. Line pan with waxed paper, then grease and lightly flour the waxed paper. Pour batter into the pan and spread evenly. Bake at 350 for 15 minutes. *Cake cooks fast so watch carefully to avoid burning the edges. While cake is baking, sprinkle powdered sugar heavily over the kitchen towel, using a sieve or sifter. Turn hot cake onto the towel. Remove waxed paper. Trim off burnt or crusty edges. Sprinkle more powdered sugar over the hot cake and quickly roll up with towel inside. Let cake cool completely, about 30 minutes. Meanwhile, prepare filling by beating together all ingredients until smooth and creamy. Unroll cooled cake and spread with the filling mixture. Roll up cake with filling on the inside. Wrap in waxed paper and then foil. Refrigerate or freeze. To serve, slice cake about 1/3 inch thick and sprinkle with powdered sugar. Note - cake cuts best when still slightly frozen...but don't serve frozen!

Pumpkin Pie Crunch
From Jenn Bacak
1 can pumpkin
1 (12 oz.) can evaporated milk
3 eggs
1-1/2 cups sugar
4 t pumpkin pie spice
1/2 t salt
yellow cake mix (butter recipe is best)
1 cup chopped pecan bits
1 cup melted butter
Vanilla Cool Whip

Grease a 9 x 13 pan. Combine pumpkin through salt in a large bowl. Pour it into the pan. Pour cake mix over it evenly. Sprinkle pecans on top. Then drizzle the butter over it, and bake at 350 for 50-55. Golden bubbly. Serve with Cool Whip, and I have paired it with the Vanilla Cool Whip, which is a heavenly combination. I think Vanilla Cool Whip was made specifically for this dessert.

Do you have any favorite pumpkin recipes?

4 comments:

Hendrick Family said...

Now...Bethan actually does all the fancy stuff in her recipe for the pumpkin roll.

I just make them into muffins and use the filling as "butter" or icing.

I'm not the jelly roll kind of girl.

That looks hard to me.

I would probably cry.

Heather

Landreneau Family said...

My two favorite pumpkin recipes are already here! My mom has made pumpkin bread since I was a baby; it was always the gift I gave to my teachers every year. She's also made that pumpkin roll for baby showers, and it's as pretty as Southern Living. I think I would cry if I tried to make it...I know I'd call my mom to save me!

Those cookbooks are awesome! I might try that next year.

Aimee

The Kramer Family said...

Besides the precious calendars of all of my favorite little boys, this takes a close second to one of my all -time favorite homemade Christmas presents from you. I use it all the time.

brickmomma said...

Easiest PumPkin Muffins EVER!

1 can pumpkin
1 box yellow cake mix

Mix together thoroughly. Spoon into minimuffin tins. Bake for 25-30 mins at 350. Yumm-o!